Poll: Do you want a Portal 3? (Possible Spoilers!)

Mad1Cow

Jan 8, 2011
I'd like it...but I doubt they would...

If they were to it would be like 12 years from now. HOWEVER, you know how quite a few people didn't know about the edited ending of the first one until recently? Well I can see that happening again only with like a co-op patch to add more levels. In fact I could see a DLC where Atlas/Peabody or both (or another robot) have to go capture Chell OR a relative, since she may have her own life now.

My second suspicion would be that when Chell is left in the outside world...it's actually a cruel surprise and the cube was necessary for a puzzle. AGAIN quite unlikely, but when I got to that outside, I looked at the skies, looked at the wheat and thought, "Hang on, this looks slightly dome-ish...OH GOD I've not escaped have I?" shortly followed by "OH LOOK, CUBE!!!"

Loved the ending though. Half Life 3 first, then probably a new game, Left 4 Dead 4 will happen I can bet (I know 3 isn't out yet but I doubt they're gonna pass up on the double 4). Portal will be forgotten for a bit, but if they did do a third, I can see it doing a Toy Story 3, but it needs to be forgotten first and quite frankly, I just downloaded the song "Want You Gone" onto my ipod so it will not be dying anytime soon that's for sure...

<listens to GLaDOS' beautiful singing voice>

EDIT: OMFG just realised another possibility. Anyone complete the co-op yet? Anyone realise they had loads of comatose humans that they're bound to end up testing? Well what if they sent in Gordan Freeman to free them all. I KNOW it's unlikely, but this is valve we're talking about, they've been hinting at it all this time. Chell could have left and is no longer in the picture but GORDAN is still firmly in the picture. Some sort of cross-over for Portal 3 and Half Life 3...I can actually see that happening now...

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Hell yes, but it'll be interesting to see how they're gonna continue since the ending of Portal 2. I won't spoil anything.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Kind of. They upped the ante with Portal 2 and won. I can't say that they could succeed quite as well a second time, but I can't say they wouldn't be capable of doing the same thing again. Valve has some really good writers. They could probably make it work.

That said, Chell and GLaDOS have finished their story. Continuing beyond the ending wouldn't add anything, it would only make the ending less affecting. We don't need more answers and we certainly don't need a Portal 2: FES.

At this point, it would be too much of an insult to kill GLaDOS off. She's an icon. If it's something unrelated they'll need to work pretty damn hard to replace her, or come up with a way to use someone else as an antagonist. I suspect they'll know how to solve that problem too, I just hope it doesn't mean killing GLaDOS.

Completely unrelated: Hopefully they'll get Ellen McLain to keep on doing robot voices and songs. She's amazing.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Well sure...but only if is good, doesn?t recycle similar puzzles to the previous games and has a story that makes sense. If they did it would probably be better if they had a left the Chell/ GLaDOS thing behind tho. I don't think there is really anywhere to go with that now.

MisterGobbles

Nov 30, 2009
What do I think? I think Valve should be barred from producing other games until they get off their ass and release Half-Life 2: Episode Three.

Personally, I don't think there should be another story-based Portal game. Portal 2 got it just right, I don't really think there's really anywhere they can go with it from here. I mean, they had to retcon the end of the original Portal just to have this one make any sense.

But I would LOVE to see massive amounts of user-created content and DLC for the co-op mode of Portal 2. I would pay all the monies for that.

Gigatoast

Apr 7, 2010
Portal 2 deserves expansion but a sequel wouldn't work, the ending was just too damn good.

A much better idea would be if Valve released a series of single player DLCs about the same length of Portal 1. This would be an amazing chance to introduce new testing elements, characters, and even songs. They could go for co-op levels and the return of challenge mode, but the story mode is definitely the best element, and would be the best thing to expand on.

I know as soon as the SDK comes out I'll be working on my own mini single player campaign.

AyaReiko

Aug 9, 2008
Portal Zero seems more doable than Portal 3. Make the player character Rattman and have it involve how or why he survived GlaDoS's neurotoxin and/or how the other cores were attached to GlaDoS.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
the ending of portal was nice and neat. maybe a portal game about those 2 robots going out into the real world. fighting of head crabs etc with nothing more than portals.

portal under the enemy and another portal inside a wood chipper.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Hard to say. I love Portal 1 & 2 and would like to see more, but after the end of Portal 2 there doesn't seem to be a need for it. I also would hate to see Portal jump the shark [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/JumpingTheShark]. I want more GLaDOS, I always want more GLaDOS, but I don't want her to get stale either.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Aside from the closure in 2 making me wanna say no, I'd say go for it for one reason: if we beg hard enough for Portal 3, it'll never come out but we'd have forgotten about HL2 Ep3 and then it'd miraculously come out.

Lordpils

Aug 3, 2009
If it's going to happen there's nothing that can be done to stop it, however it doesn't have to ruin Portal 2's ending I hope if they continue it it takes place outside the Apature Science Laboratories because there's really no way to go back without screwing up Portal 2's ending.
I have no idea how it would work, but I can only hope for the best. Honestly though no I don't want Portal 3.

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
I just finished Portal 2 and I absolutely loved it. With that said, I feel they have taken the Portal concept about as far as it can go and its better if they leave it alone now. The ending of Portal 2 was a perfect sign-off to the series and as much as I adored the game, I wasnt overly eager for more when it was over. It felt just right, like it stopped just before it would begin to drag on.

I think Valve should concentrate on Episode 3/Half-Life 3 (which are tied to Portal's story anyway) and new IP's

ZiggyE

Nov 13, 2010
razelas said:
MGlBlaze said:
razelas said:
Sharalon said:
Yeah, I saw that one, but I don't know how serious that comment was though...
MGlBlaze said:
I'm not totally convinced that he wasn't joking by looking at that article.

I do think that Portal 2's ending kind of closed things off. It resolved pretty much everything that I can think of, so I'm not sure how a sequel would work, especially if it followed Chell.
Unlike some other things he has said, [http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Gabe_newell] this seems pretty straightforward, no bullshit.
There is such a thing as deadpan humor [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadpan]. I use it quite a lot.

Until an absolute official confirmation comes from valve, I'm assuming he was joking.
Deadpan humor is useful for stand-up comedy in front of an audience, not for making jokes about the future of ones company in a press conferences where investors are present.
If I remember correctly, Valve doesn't have investors. It's entirely self contained, self funded and self owned. That's if I remember correctly, I might be wrong.

Also this wouldn't be the first time Gaben has made jokes about games and the future of his company. I highly doubt there will be a Portal 3. Gabe said he didn't like making sequels when they weren't necessary and was sceptical about a Left 4 Dead sequel. In my opinion, Portal 2 is a great end and I can only hope Valve agree.

Arcticflame

Nov 7, 2006
I trust valve to make the right decision. It's a bit of a cop-out answer, but honestly if they said they could make a portal 2 I wouldn't of thought they could make it without it being stale, and it was anything but.

Only answer I can give is I trust valve to make the right decision.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
I'd love to see a Portal 3 as long as the story and gameplay are good, they can even bring back Chell if they'd find a justified way for it. (Like a situation arising that the bumbling co-op bots and the less than willing test subjects can't handle and GLaDOS ~reluctantly~ calling/forcing Chell back since she's the only one she knows with enough fast thinking and fortitude to handle it)

But I'd be just as happy with a new protagonist, or even Portal 3 being an all co-op game.

So yeah, I'll trust Valve's judgement.