Poll: Do you watch anime and/or read manga?

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
You do realise that "otaku" is an insult, right?

Yes, I read/watch the odd manga/anime if it's good enough to pique my interests. But it's not like I'm so into it that I'm on the verge of being a weeaboo or anything.

Nihilism_Is_Bliss

Oct 27, 2009
BanicRhys said:
You do realise that "otaku" is an insult, right?

Yes, I read/watch the odd manga/anime if it's good enough to pique my interests.
It would be considered insulting in Japan, but it has become a handy term for referring to those heavily interested in Japanese culture, who aren't Japanese as well.
I'd like to think of it is a label that, as odd as it may sound, is somehow more complimentary or respected than labels such as 'weeaboo'.
Damned weeaboos, giving us all a bad name!
Not that I'm sure if I consider myself 'hardcore' enough to be considered 'otaku'.

But yeah, I like the animus and mangos.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Yes I do.

My favorite anime being Fullmetal Alchemist and Azumanga Daioh.

My favorite manga being Fullmetal Alchemist and Yotsuba.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Yeah, I mostly watch anime though.

Last manga I read was one volume of Yotsuba.

Bearsheep

A War With The Sun
Oct 9, 2009
Yeah, But I mainly watch anime. I can't even remember if the last manga I finished I'm thinking its one of the Death notes

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Not very often. I'm a fan of Fruits Basket and many of Studio Ghibli's works (Laputa and Porco Rosso in particular), but not much else.

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
Sylare said:
I am a hardcore otaku, and I was wondering how many are you guys.
Heh, polls a bit misleading. I would never consider myself Otaku [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otaku].

But I do occasionally watch Anime. I rarely watch new anime though, I pretty much stick to the Trigun/Cowboy Bebop/Gundam Wing/Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z that I grew up with, and I usually only re-watch when I'm feeling nostalgic.

So I voted "Hell Yeah!" But really it was more of a, "Meh, kinda."

Weslebear

Dec 9, 2009
I love anime and manga and what first brought my attention to them was Ghibli films and their absolutely beautiful art and the quality of animation in them. Which has now branched out into enjoying and appreciating a lot of what anime and manga uniquely offer.

I also refrain from calling myself "otaku" "weaboo" or any other ridiculous label like that, I like a lot of things from varying cultures and have more than just one mindset. Labelling my entirety as such just isn't right.

darkless

Jan 26, 2008
Sure I'm not a hard core fan but there are some anime and manga out there I like, a LOT of it is just fan service and crap though.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Well, I've watched a fair few animes such as Baccano!, Steins;Gate (what's out of it so far), and Puella Magi Madoka Magica. And played several Japanese visual novels such as Kikokugai - The Cyber Slayer and Swan Song [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.301706-Visual-Novel-review-Swan-Song].

But I've read only very few manga; The few volumes of Spice & Wolf and its counterpart Maoyuu Maou Yuusha available in English so far, and a volume or two of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and Vinland Saga. And aside from sticking with those series, I probably won't delve all that much further into the medium.

As for your question proper, there are quite a lot of anime fans [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Anime-Fans] on the site. And also a (considerably smaller) manga group [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Manga-for-the-World] too, as well as one for Japanese visual novel games.

GigaHz

Jul 5, 2011
I used to when I was younger. Now that I'm a bit older, I'm a lot more aware of the obnoxious cliches that plague the majority of anime (don't read manga). It's just a matter of taste really. Personally, I think the creativity of Japan has started to plateau over the last few years as their anime and video games are largely lacklustre barring the occasional exception.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
I used to like everything Japan, but at some point I just lost interest in it. Nowadays, I can't think of a single anime or manga I actually enjoy.
I think I just realized that Western culture had all the comics and animation I needed.

Plus some of the fans drove me away. I'm the sort of person that, when they like something, they like it a lot. So I'd probably end up as one of those fans.
You know. Those fans. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98910-Korean-Otaku-Marries-Anime-Body-Pillow]

Amberella

Super Sailor Moon
Jan 23, 2010
Indeed I do. I usually just watch anime though, but I do tend to read some manga here and there. :)

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
I watched Maya the Bee when I was like, 8, if that was anime. But I can't stand anime and manga, though. From esthetics/art style to the storytelling, none of it ever appeals to me and the cliches couldn't get more irritating. I know what other people see in it, and those are usually the things that drive me up the wall. Just not for me.

Tesral

Jul 19, 2011
Manga series are too darned expensive for me, Doujin FTW. As for anime, i never get time to watch any long series so I usually just pass them up.

(Now to try and say this without sounding like a hipster) I always try to avoid anything too mainstream, or anything too simple. I prefer something classy, and avoid the 'Otaku' or 'Weeaboo' tags like the plauge.