Poll: Does anyone actually want FF XIII-2?

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
So it is no big secret that alot of Final Fantasy fans hated FF 13. Me included. Bad story, bad gameplay, Bad music, painfuly bad characters (Snow is the biggest douche in the universe and I have never wanted a kid to die before but I wish Hope would just fuck of and DIE). I cannot fault how it looked. It looked amazing. Now i am of the opinion that there has not been a good FF since 10 but FF Verses 13 looks like it could be really good. And then they anounce a fucking sequel. Because the other sequal they did was such a good game!(Sarcasm). Considering the guy in charge of making it has only done two other FFs and they were 10-2 and 13 itself maybe thats the problem. They say 13-2 will improve on 13 in every way. I say that it will not be hard to deliver on that promise.Short of putting in QTEs there is nothing they could do to make it worse than 13. Now if you actually liked 13 then good for you. everyone is entiteled to their opinion but if you are going to try and justify why it is a good game in this topic DO NOT use the following arguments.

"It sold really well"- Just because people bought it does not mean that it is good. Alot of people who hated it bought it me included.

"It gets good about 20 hours in"- if you have to play 20 hours of a game before it gets good that is not a good thing. I got to Grand pulse played it for a bit, decided it was still shit and I have not touched it since.

Anyway like I said if you liked it then fair enough just do not use those reasons to defend it.

Ok rant over what do you guys think?

Also first poll ever!

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
I'm going to give it a shot. FFXIII was okay. The combat system was really good. If they combine that with a better story and characters it has a lot of potential.

HHammond

Jun 28, 2011
I'm one of those weird people who like FFXIII. Is it amazing? NO! Is it bad? no, not it' not that either. What it is is average. It's fun but by no means great. I enjoyed it and I liked most of the characters (I JUST HATE SNOW SO MUCH!) and the story was okay, if a little confusing. I don't really understand all the hate towards it. I think it's just because it wasn't as revolutionary or perfect as everyone was expected. I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years people look back at it and say "it was alright".

It's not as good as VI or VII, but it's MUCH better then VIII and X.

Dec 14, 2009
Nope.

I'm pretty much done with the franchise now.

In fact, I'm pretty much done with JRPGs in general. As a gamer, I've grown past being satisfied by terrible Japanese soap drama plots and horrible characters and gameplay.

The exception to this rule, are the Dragon Quest games, simply because they don't take themselves too seriously.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Gizmo1990 said:
Short of putting in QTEs there is nothing they could do to make it worse than 13.
I'm not sure if you're joking or not.

I'm sorry if I'm the first on to tell you this, but, well... FFXIII-2 actually is going to have QTEs in it.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Zhukov said:
Gizmo1990 said:
Short of putting in QTEs there is nothing they could do to make it worse than 13.
I'm not sure if you're joking or not.

I'm sorry if I'm the first on to tell you this, but, well... FFXIII-2 actually is going to have QTEs in it.
I was not joking. They just have no fucking idea do they.

WolfmanNougat

May 14, 2009
I haven't even finished the first one yet because it's so boring, so what do you think?

Though, I do like Lightning's spiffy new plate armour suit. If this is an indicator that the costume design is going back so something a little more practical then I'm at least curious. Not buying on release, that's for sure.

TheSolemnHypnotic

Dec 12, 2010
I've invested so much time on the the first one so far, I'd really like the whole story. See where things go and how the characters move on. I'm interested. But yeah, not $60 worth of interested. :)

RetardedKitty

May 17, 2011
I will buy it because for me.
a) characters were good (for god sake people Hope has 15 yeas and his mother died in front of his eyes if you wouldn't ***** about it then you are a heartless freak)
b) Music wasn't so terrible (repetetive yeah... but not so bad)
c) battle was engaging, But only when you were fighting with stronger enemies than your team was, then you had to think fast and changing paradimes was like using skills.

But im not sure about the story line it self, partially it looks like it happens in the same time as FFXIII (they are talking in trailers about running away from purge) and i dont like the idea >.>

XxSummonerxX

May 17, 2009
Lol no.

Wandering all over the world, pushing X repeatedly for auto attack, occassionally switching to a healing paradigm... nah. Fuck that.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
I will probably get it I didnt like Hope but at least he developed a bit while Snow is one of my least favourite characters in any game (lightning is so so, not really a fan)but yeah if they can improve on the awesome battle system and actually let you use it before post game this time (so im not clicking auto battle for god knows how many hours 1st) there is no reason it cant be good.

Also 10-2 had its good moments even if it was rubbish compared to its main canon entry.

Hellz_Barz

May 16, 2009
No I didn't ask for one or particularly want one and the fact that square enix said people were asking for another one threw into a spin. But I'll probably get it anyway just to get mad at them all over again and look at the pretty pictures.

Squiggles

Mar 17, 2010
SE is trying to fix what went wrong in XIII with its sequel.

This is NOT going to be X-2 where they kinda tacked on a story that didn't need to be told, XIII left a tonne of stuff out of game explanation, and left you to read it. (I had more fun reading about the world than watching the characters run through it.)

I'm hoping they will tell you more about the lore of the world, meeting the people of pulse, more exploring. They've reportedly made the combat a bit more interactive and customizable.

so, SE knew they screwed up, Im willing to let them make it up for their mistakes... Id rather they falter with something new than release ANOTHER VERSION OF FREAKING FFIV!!!!

seriously, IV has been done to death, stop re-releasing it.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
All they've kept from XIII is the battle system, and tweaked it so that there are occasional cutscene moments with QTE's that give massive multipliers. Beyond that, free roaming is back, along with towns and sidequests. Try watching the E3 demo or doing a little research.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Well, I have tried many, many times to get into a Final Fantasy game but I cannot do it. I don't get what's so different about X and XIII, because to me they both just seem like 1 long corridor of tapping X to watch unlike-able characters beat up enemies. So yeah, XIII-2 isn't going to change anything...

(As an aside, is there any Final Fantasy or JRPG that isn't quite so linear? I'd really like to see what the fuss is about with that genre, but I think it's the linearity that just kills any enjoyment I might get from it. They feel more like poor and really drawn-out movies than games to me.)

RYjet911

May 11, 2008
Gizmo1990 said:
So it is no big secret that alot of Final Fantasy fans hated FF 13. Me included. Bad story, bad gameplay, Bad music, painfuly bad characters (Snow is the biggest douche in the universe and I have never wanted a kid to die before but I wish Hope would just fuck of and DIE). I cannot fault how it looked. It looked amazing. Now i am of the opinion that there has not been a good FF since 10 but FF Verses 13 looks like it could be really good. And then they anounce a fucking sequel. Because the other sequal they did was such a good game!(Sarcasm). Considering the guy in charge of making it has only done two other FFs and they were 10-2 and 13 itself maybe thats the problem. They say 13-2 will improve on 13 in every way. I say that it will not be hard to deliver on that promise.Short of putting in QTEs there is nothing they could do to make it worse than 13. Now if you actually liked 13 then good for you. everyone is entiteled to their opinion but if you are going to try and justify why it is a good game in this topic DO NOT use the following arguments.

"It sold really well"- Just because people bought it does not mean that it is good. Alot of people who hated it bought it me included.

"It gets good about 20 hours in"- if you have to play 20 hours of a game before it gets good that is not a good thing. I got to Grand pulse played it for a bit, decided it was still shit and I have not touched it since.

Anyway like I said if you liked it then fair enough just do not use those reasons to defend it.

Ok rant over what do you guys think?

Also first poll ever!
I still maintain there hasn't been a good one since 9. And since 6 before that. The only two I can still play without the gameplay annoying me, they actually seem like balanced, fun games that don't rely on fancy outfits and giganto-swords to pique my interest.

F4LL3N

May 2, 2011
FFXIII had a great story, awesome graphics, awesome lore, characters, awesome battlesystem, etc. Sure you had the auto-battle, but the twist was with the pentagrams and occasionally manually picking attacks. It was the most fast paced battles I've encounted in FF.

It actually received high ratings from a lot of game sites. So it's not that bad.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
lunncal said:
(As an aside, is there any Final Fantasy or JRPG that isn't quite so linear? I'd really like to see what the fuss is about with that genre, but I think it's the linearity that just kills any enjoyment I might get from it. They feel more like poor and really drawn-out movies than games to me.)
Bear in mind that Final Fantasy is only one franchise in that subgenre. People, especially on this forum, seem to think that all RPGs from Japan are like this, but they really aren't. Because seriously, I can't think of any JRPGs that are more linear than Final Fantasy XIII except maybe Xenosaga.

Of course, nearly all games are linear. The only ones that are completely non-linear are the ones that are static.

Anyway, you could try games in the MegaTen series. Nocturne (Lucifer's Call in PAL regions) is fairly open. You decide how to set up your party, what demons to recruit, who you'll side with and so on. I'm assuming Strange Journey is the same (though I don't own a DS and can't check). Persona 4 has more of a linear storyline, but roughly half of the game consists of completely optional character subplots. Persona 3 does the same thing, albeit with more dungeon crawl.

Then there's NIS games. Disgaea, ZHP, Phantom Brave, Soul Nomad, La Pucelle, Makai Kingdom and the like. These usually have a linear main story and a near-infinite amount of optional extra content.

Also, Final Fantasy. I couldn't tell by your post if you've played any that weren't X or XIII, but VII and IX had so much more going for them. One of the biggest differences when they got to X was that they removed the overworld map and travel. All Final Fantasy games prior to X contained these elements, so that would be a good place to start. VIII is kind of dumb, though.

Not unlike those, there's also the Tales games. I've only played Tales of Vesperia, but they seem to be a lot like if you took the PS1-era Final Fantasy games and gave them cool cel-shaded graphics in HD. Maybe a little cuter and more optimistic than VII, still, worth checking out.

Oh yeah, and Demon's Souls. Not much plot, but you don't need plot when your combat is this good.

[sub]Also Resonance of Fate, Trails in the Sky, Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Valkyria Chronicles (which is only slightly less linear), Valkyria Chronicles 2 (which is less linear than 1), any of the Dragon Quest games and any of the Japanese-developed Wizardry games.[/sub]

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
mireko said:
Snipped due to length (the post above this one)
Thanks, I'll be sure to try those, or at least the ones on systems I own. I initially tried the Final Fantasy games simply because they're the most popular (or at least the most well-known) games in the JRPG genre. When I said it was too linear I didn't mean I wanted open-world or sandbox games, I just meant I wanted a little choice in how I do things or what I do. It always felt like there was only 1 way to do anything in the Final Fantasy games I have played (which are all later ones).

I'm pretty certain not all JRPGs are like that though, so I'm sure I'll find some I can enjoy from that list. Thanks again.