Poll: Does anyone (feminist, gamer, SJW, atheist) really find Fedoras attractive/cool?

Frokane

Sep 28, 2011
So while I try and keep my nose out of this vicious recent game conspiracy stuff, I keep seeing the word SJW, Neckbeard and GAMER thrown around with these fedora related insults.

Which made me very interested so I did a bit of snooping and found out a lot of people roughly my age seem to be into fedoras, but I dont know its origins at all, so I want to know is it a fashion thing? a reactionary statement or a form of geek/gamer sybolism?

please fill out the poll so I can get an idea on people's feelings about this particular piece of headwear.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
I only think it looks good on men or women over forty that wear suits. Basically the look you see in old movies. I really don't think it looks good on anyone else. I think some people wear it now because they think it adds "class". Then there are some people who just like wearing them and don't care about public opinion.

CommanderZx2

Dec 13, 2014
According to the feminist privilege theories men do not suffer from anything such as negative stereotypes from how they dress or look. Therefore clearly negative connotations from Fedoras, Neckbeards, Hitler beards, wife beaters, etc don't exist silly!

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
I only think it looks good on men or women over forty that wear suits. Basically the look you see in old movies. I really don't think it looks good on anyone else. I think some people wear it now because they think it adds "class". Then there are some people who just like wearing them and don't care about public opinion.
Nailed it.

(Dude here) I think the Fedora is a really sweet looking hat...with suits. For whatever reason (probably gangster movies), I think the Fedora looks really good on a man in a nice suit. However, he also has to be relatively well built because for some reason, I think that really skinny or really fat guys look kind of dumb in Fedoras. Same with just about every piece of clothing that is not a suit.

You know...it must have been gangster movies that put this in my mind because they're all in relatively good shape with nice suits on.

EDIT: Also, just to throw it out there; my fashion sense is that of a child so take anything I say about anything fashion-wise with a silo of salt. I don't really care what other people wear but if I were to wear a Fedora, it would be with a suit.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
I find the whole thing to be rather bewildering, to be honest. I've worn a fedora for seven years now, to the point where it's kind of my trademark. Nobody cared, it was just my hat. Then all of a sudden it's the symbol of the anti-theistic, misogynist manchildren stereotype. I honestly doubt anyone would care about who was wearing them or with what if it weren't for that whole"euphoria" silliness. So, thanks for that, internet.

NemotheElvenPanda

Aug 29, 2012
Fedoras are like beards; just because you may be able to have one doesn't mean you'll look good in it. Personally one shouldn't wear a fedora without a suit or some other semi-formal outfit; one forgets that fedoras were worn to evening parties and events, it wasn't something just added onto what you wore everyday as they don't look good with button up shirts and slacks. Maybe if these people who try to emulate the greats actually followed the rules and behavior of the greats, they'd be taken a bit more seriously.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I think very few people look good in head-wear to begin with. The fedora is one of the hardest that people can look cool wearing.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
No, I don't like them.

It's probably more to do with the image they've become associated with rather than the actual thing, but I still don't think they look good anyway.
I think they look a bit dumb.

I don't really like how harsh the negative one is in your poll, but none of the others fit.
I would say it makes regular people less attractive to me.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I've seen plenty of people who look really goofy in one, but most of the people I know who occasionally wear one can pull it off decently. I wouldn't call it attractive, but I wouldn't say it makes them look bad either.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Generally, no. That's not, however, tied to any sort of preconception I have of the person in the fedora. I just think there is a very slim margin of people who look good in a fedora and who are also dressed in a way befitting a fedora. Put simply, if you look good in a fedora, you probably look really good in a fedora. If you don't, then you look ludicrous.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
I think the whole you need the outfit to pull it off thing is over blown. It's not what you need to do so much as just not wear it with an unshaven face, graphic t-shirt, and fancy coat jacket. Most other times it will look fine to not exactly ugly.

Seriously, it's a hat guys. A fairly standard-ish one at that. I imagine outside of the internet aand it's experience with fedora creeps no one has that bad an association with the hat enough to say you need to be really fashionable/good looking/what have you to pull it off.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
What is with the fedora thing? For a brief moment in time they got popular. (My anecdotal look on the world makes me think Yahtzee started something.) Then people started hating them. The whole while, I just see it as a hat. I would wear one - with a suit, if I owned one, but I don't. I would be much more excited about wearing a top hat. I want a nice top hat. I don't know, its just a hat to me. The fact that it at some point became a "thing" is a little odd. But I also find that true of women and really gaudy snow boots. If I go to wal mart right now I could see someone in a fedora. But its more likely I will see a girl in puffy snowboods and tight pants that say "juicy" or PINK on the ass. At least the fedora is subtle.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
If you can pull off the look (and i'll be the first to admit i cant) A Fedora has nothing on a Homburg, IMO anyway.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
They can look classy when paired with a nice suit and a clean shave, otherwise I'd say people should avoid them or else it usually just comes across as a bit sloppy to be wearing one.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
It's a hat. It's just a hat. A piece of decorative (well, mostly; I suppose it keeps the sun off your head) headwear. Nothing more, nothing less. I'll be the first to admit I don't "get" the whole hat thing; none of the (widely available) hat sizes are large enough to fit around my enormous head, so it was never something I could get into even if I wanted to. From what I've seen, it seems to be mostly a men's thing; given the paucity of ways our superculture has of letting men express themselves in fashion terms (do you want to wear a black suit, or a blue-so-dark-you-can-only-tell-it's-not-black-in-bright-light suit?), I fail to see how allowing them a little more freedom is a bad thing.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Unless you're over forty and wearing a suit anyway, no. 90% of the time, the only people that think fedoras are cool are the people wearing them. Even people that aren't aware of the whole neckbeard thing seem to agree that it's the kind of 'interesting' accessory that deeply uninteresting people wear to hide the fact.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Queen Michael said:
It's a trilby and I look great in it.
Ah, forget your trilby, when I'm walking walking down the street in a trench coat in the rain while on a case, a matching fedora and a smoke are all I need.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
T0ad 0f Truth said:
I think the whole you need the outfit to pull it off thing is over blown. It's not what you need to do so much as just not wear it with an unshaven face, graphic t-shirt, and fancy coat jacket. Most other times it will look fine to not exactly ugly.

Seriously, it's a hat guys. A fairly standard-ish one at that. I imagine outside of the internet aand it's experience with fedora creeps no one has that bad an association with the hat enough to say you need to be really fashionable/good looking/what have you to pull it off.
Sums it up fairly well I must say. I don't think there's an age requirement so much as a style requirement. If anyone's ever watched the White Collar series that just finished on USA, the main character is quite young but pulls off the fedora damn well... with a suit to match of course. There's a thing called class, and a fedora is a classy thing. Without it, it doesn't look right.
The only other person to pull it off without a suit was Indiana Jones and that was a fictional character, so attempting to be Indy cool is... well just not cool. You're not Indy, you can't pull it off without looking foolish.
I'm not being haughty about it either, just saying that there are some fashion styles that won't work outside their natural habitat and the fedora's one of them. It all depends really, and we're long past the 80's where mixing fashions that would normally clash was seen as "cool". Its not anymore, not even retro.
I wouldn't wear wingtips in bermuda shorts and I wouldn't wear a fedora with a t-shirt.