Poll: Does anyone (feminist, gamer, SJW, atheist) really find Fedoras attractive/cool?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
It's a hat. Just a hat. That's all it ever was and all it ever will be. Whether it works or not is like asking whether the color blue works.

Context context context.

syaoran728

Aug 4, 2010
I think my roommate put it best when he explained it to another friend. First, most people aren't able to tell the difference between a fedora and a trilby and its mostly the trilbies that are being worn. Second, trilbies are mostly being worn by neckbeards in an attempt to class up what they wear. Typically khaki shorts/pants and a t-shirt with an unshaven beard so they try to class it up with a fancy hat, but that only works when the rest of your outfit is on the same level. As someone who prefers t-shirts and shorts I personally don't wear hats and try to stay very cleanly shaven when I go out just to avoid being associated with that other group.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Xiado said:
Is the default reaction to people wearing a look that they adopted simply to stand out and cry their special snowflake status to the world. To make it work you need to make the unusualness of your look seem like the natural extension of a standout person, and to do that you need to be exceptional.
So anyone who doesn't fit your BS criteria deserves to be ridiculed for it. Got it.

Anyone here remember the "queen bee" stereotype that shows up in every high school movie? This is how the internet reacts to Fedoras at this point.

OT: I don't have any opinion on it. Granted, most people don't pull it off, but judging character / motivations based on a fucking hat makes zero sense.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Does this guy look like a neck-bearded basement dweller?

No, no he doesn't.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I thought that they 'made a comeback' during that brief period of time in the 90's when swing music was all the rage again?

Anyway, as many have mentioned, it's just an accessory, but like any accessory, it's designed to be worn with specific types of clothing. Ties look great...if you're wearing a button up shirt with a collar. But wear a tie over a t-shirt? You look like a fool.

I think the issue with fedoras is that a lot of guys wear them thinking it's makes them look like some kind of old school 'when men were real men and women were ladies' gentleman from the turn of the 20th century, which a lot of socially awkward guys (at least that I've known) are oddly infatuated with. But to me, that's like wearing a Tapout shirt and thinking that now everyone will think you're an MMA fighter.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
SKBPinkie said:
Xiado said:
Is the default reaction to people wearing a look that they adopted simply to stand out and cry their special snowflake status to the world. To make it work you need to make the unusualness of your look seem like the natural extension of a standout person, and to do that you need to be exceptional.
So anyone who doesn't fit your BS criteria deserves to be ridiculed for it. Got it.

Anyone here remember the "queen bee" stereotype that shows up in every high school movie? This is how the internet reacts to Fedoras at this point.

OT: I don't have any opinion on it. Granted, most people don't pull it off, but judging character / motivations based on a fucking hat makes zero sense.
That's what I'm hearing too.

"Oh my God, can you believe she wore that top with those shoes?"

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I think having a fervent position, sight unseen, on someone wearing a hat probably says more about a person than hat-wearing ever could.

This, too, shall pass.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
I kind of want to get a trilby with a euphoric meme picture printed on it; it's not really to make a statement or anything but just to confuse the hell out of people whether they're familiar with the meme or not.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Xiado said:
Fedoras are like short hair for a woman. Chances are, you don't have nearly enough class and charisma to pull it off so don't bother with it. Doesn't stop lonely nerds from adopting the look in droves trying to be unique.

EDIT: Most black dudes with good style can pull it off as well.
Oh come on short hair is about as innocuous, as a girl going out NOT wearing her best Sunday dress and pearls

Because it's not like she likes short hair or think it looks good on her right?

EDIT: the problem I have with fedoras is the actual hat itself is very hard to seperate from the negative association, I mean no doubt it's been abused but I think it's the stereotypes associated with the hat are worse than the hat itself

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I find women who are about 30 or over that wear suspenders and a fedora look attractive.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
honestly, i think the main reason it gets such a bad rap is because it isnt paired with the appropriate clothing, along with the fact that it is generally overweight and unattractive guys wearing them (sorry). they arent putting any effort into the rest of their attire, nor are they putting any effort into their general appearance.

there is a reason fedoras actually look good on a handsome man in a suit... its because he is a handsome man in a suit. it isnt casual head wear. if you wear it with as much purpose as a baseball cap, it just looks odd.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
I think fedoras can look quite attractive on certain women, as well as the old school Mafia gangsta cliché. Indiana Jones, as well. Other than that... nah. I've got nothing against people wearing them, but beyond those three cases fedoras don't interest me.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
No.

Trilby hats look half-way decent, but Fedoras not so much. Its reputation has been stained by the disciples of Aalewis.

(I jest, I don't really care one way or the other.)

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
I don't fucking care. It's a hat. I tend not to put much stock into what someone puts on there head.

And NO I DON"T WANT ANOTHER FUCKING HAT!!! (inside joke for those who get it)

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Xiado said:
Maraskeen said:
Xiado said:
Fedoras are like short hair for a woman.
Except that there are numerous ways a woman can wear short hair, while fedoras don't have much variation from one another outside of colour and fabric... Are you talking about cropped hair?
Anything shorter than shoulder length. It's similar because it requires a bold and interesting personality to make work.

"Oh wow look, you're wearing a fedora. You must be so much different from other guys"

"Oh wow look, you cut your hair short. You're definitely not like the other girls"

Oh cool I didn't know people still thought that about girls with short hair. Lame.
I look terrible with long hair. And I'm EXACTLY like other girls.

Also is having short hair for a woman `unusual` any more? I don't think so. Less than chin height maybe? But less than shoulder? Pffffffffft.

NoX 9

I Want A Hug!
Jul 2, 2014
Sure, if they are on a person who looks good with hats and are ALSO WEARING A SUITABLE OUTFIT! Don't wear your fedorda with a damn hoodie, that doesn't look good. I very much like it on someone who can evoke a sort of 1930's New York feel. I anything could straighten me out a good Vito (Mafia II) cosplay would be it it!