Poll: Does anyone still own a standard definition tv?

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
in the next few weeks im getting a 1080p led tv so i can finally play my ps3 the way it was meant to be played. i considered going 3-D but then i remembered, i fucking hate 3-D. so i decided to pass on the 3-D and go for a bigger screen instead of shelling out a lot of extra $$$ for a technology that irritates me. if hell freezes over and beyond good and evil 2 is actually released, and they decide to make it 3-D only, well then my hands will be tied. until then, however....

anyway, sorry for that long drawn out introduction. my question is, am i like the last gamer on earth to finally upgrade to HD? i feel like all my friends and every gamer on youtube has a massive flat screen for gaming and watching blue rays.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
I have one HD tv, and I use it for gaming, but the rest of my family still uses standard definition.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
The only TV I own is a SD tv. Mind you I found it for free in the back alley and the audio doesn't work... Good thing I can hook my stereo into it :D

Mr.Petey

Dec 23, 2009
Five year old standard CRT TV, still going strong. Some text is hard to read whilst playing Valkyria Chronicles but it works so HD tvs can wait a lil' longer.

Oh and I hear you cant use the G-con/2 gun controllers with a HD tv so that's another reason why I'm not in a rush to upgrade

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
I have not one, but TWO! o_O
I'll let you take a moment to pick up your socks that just blew off.
I Have a friend who, every time he comes over, has to make a big deal out of changing the setting on his X-box's TV cable from "HD" to "standard".

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
The one in my room that I use for a Mega Drive isn't HD. It'd be a bit pointless, really.
I use a PS2 with it as well sometimes, but still no reason to bump it up.

Plus all my new, shiney games look their newest and shiniest on our massive HDTV downstairs.
/smug

Omikron009

May 22, 2009
My family has 3 TVs. They're all crappy old standard def boxes. It makes me feel bitter whenever I think about it.

EDIT: All of our TVs are also hand-me-downs from relatives. Our main TV, DVD player, and wireless router are all discarded technology from my uncle. My parents hate adopting new technologies.

Fanta Grape

Aug 17, 2010
The main living room one is HD, despite its small size...

and I have one in my room which I use for DVD's and Tetris. Oh yes. Tetris.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
No, I gave my 29" Sony SDTV away when we got a 32" Samsung HDTV.

We got the Samsung because we were having signal troubles with our TV aerial and the Freeview box that was connected to the Sony, so rather than pay for someone to put a new aerial on the roof we bit the bullet and got Freesat, a HD satellite tuner/recorder and a HDTV.

After that we just didn't have the room for the SDTV (it was huge), so I advertised it on Freecycle and we gave it away to someone who need any TV. It still worked, but we didn't have much use for it as I had my 360 connected to a computer monitor, and our TV signal came in via HDMI, so it really was just a big waste of space.

To be honest it hadn't been getting much use since 2007 when I got my 360 and immediately connected that via VGA to a old CRT monitor, also due to signal problems we watched all TV programs on our computers via the iPlayer and 4OD.

I do still have a small and relatively modern SDTV/DVD/VHS unit that I'm keeping for the times I may want to watch an old video, it's small enough to be kept out of the way and because it encompasses a VHS player it's convenient for watching VHS tapes since I only need to get it out and plug in the power lead.

ViaticalTarsier

Sep 7, 2010
Yup I have 3 SDtv's and for the most part I don't mind using them, but really someone should tell video game makers that everybody doesn't have an HDtv yet so stop making the dang writing so impossible to read when played on an SDTV