Poll: Does anyone still own a standard definition tv?

vanthebaron

Sep 16, 2010
yes the tv in the basement is an old RGB projection big screen tv and the one in the loft is evern older, we had it for over 15 years and its a beast that still works great (the volume down buttion is broken on it but thats what the remote is for)

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
I've still got a standard definition one, and I don't like it. Firstly, I'm not a graphics whore, but, secondly, when I saw my friend play Uncharted 2 on his HD-TV, I was amazed! I've played it for months on my SD-TV and I was still so damn suprised by how good it looked in HD.

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
I've got a 32 inch Sony Bravia TV for playing Blu-Rays, watching films and playing the occasional game.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
Sonic Doctor said:
Tipsy Giant said:
Sonic Doctor said:
Tipsy Giant said:
I'm a SDTV guy who is waiting for everyone else to go 3d so I can get a HDTV2nd hand on the cheap, first adopters are suckers
You could look at refurbished tvs if you know a place that does that. One of my friends got his 32 inch Vizio 1080p LCD HDtv from a store that refurbishes them. He paid 320 for it, I doubt that even when prices go down you will get a better price than that. Besides I got my 32 Insignia 1080p for 460 with 2 year warranty, I would say if prices went down, it would only go down to about 360 or so. It would only go down lower if you wait ten years, I doubt that you want to wait that long. By that time I bet we will be using virtual reality entertaino visors for all of our visual media.
You'd be surprised, I have seen HDTVs in the 40+ inch range going for 250 squid and that drops each time I have a goose, so I think I should be able to pick up a 32 for about 150 after new years 2011, pretty easily
I think this is the case of me not thinking I might be talking to someone not in the US. So our currency numbers aren't going to match up I don't think. I take it that you are in the UK, I'm not knowledgeable in currency types these days.

You mention 40+ inch HDtvs. Well I just checked a few common places to get them in the US. The cheapest starting at a 40 inch is 450 USD and that will be the price before taxes and warranty which will cost probably another 80 USD. But that is the price for 720p models. If a people want 1080p(which I recommend they might as well get), that price full expense will be at least 600 USD. Now, people can get that about 50 USD cheaper, but that would be if they bought some off-brand that they don't know if it is as good as the name brands they are familiar with.

As I mentioned in my previous post above, I got an 32 inch Insignia for 460 USD, that's including tax and warranty. The warranty was a deal, because I didn't have to pay extra for it, it came with it automatically. The thing is, since I had never heard of Insignia, I would consider it an off-brand. So I kind took a chance when I got it, luckily my gamble paid off, and it has been real good to me. It is even light enough that I can easily transport it back and forth when I take it to a friends house when we do Xbox 360 system links(considering I use to lug around a 27 inch tube tv.) No split screen for us, we bring our own tvs.
Yeah UK man, my friend recently bought a 32inch 1080p HDTV for 125 pounds which I assume is under 250 dollars, and it is an LG which is one of the top 3 electronics brands you can buy in the UK (other 2 being sony and samsung) and it is amazing PiP and all that jazz, I think you americans are getting screwed on price here

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
omega 616 said:
Sonic Doctor said:
omega 616 said:
Nope still SD, the thing is I want to keep up with every other person on the planet but I can never see the difference.

I have never been able to tell the difference between SD and HD, it doesn't look any clearer or sharper to me ... I think I just want it as a space saving thing.
There is some difference when it comes to watching tv, I don't get a fuzzy picture anymore. You really see the difference if you compare the two with a gaming console. I won't repeat my story about that, see the post I made before this one.
I was living in a homeless shelter thing and decided to LAN my SD tv with a friends HD tv, we put the TV next to each other and I had to look closely to see any difference.

In the midst of a frantic game playing session I don;t even notice square elbows on older games, I am kind of like those pros who play Unreal with the graphics turned to fuck all, so a nicely decorated wall turns into a a plain gray wall and it doesn't effect anything to me.
I'm wondering what resolution type your friend's HDtv was. I have seen a comparison between SD, 720p, and 1080p. 720p, isn't too much of a jump from SD, so you wouldn't see an incredible difference.

I'll add one more story to this. I had Halo 3: ODST, before I got my HDtv. With my SD, I could only hear the rain that fell in the game, I couldn't see it. Then when I played it on my HDtv, I could actually see the rain, and I noticed that the fuzzy spots on my visor before, were actually rain droplets on my visor.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
My TV isn't even cable-ready, it used bunny ears (which are, to turn a phrase, "not very effective"). [HEADING=2]I'm old-school![/HEADING]

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
Tipsy Giant said:
Yeah UK man, my friend recently bought a 32inch 1080p HDTV for 125 pounds which I assume is under 250 dollars, and it is an LG which is one of the top 3 electronics brands you can buy in the UK (other 2 being sony and samsung) and it is amazing PiP and all that jazz, I think you americans are getting screwed on price here
That makes me sick. That is lower than refurbished tv prices here. That is sad, because it has been 5 months since I got mine, and prices have only went down slightly.

crimsonshrouds

Mar 23, 2009
yes we only have one flat screen but thats my parents. not that i care i only game on my tv and use the comp to watch dvds.

linwolf

Jan 9, 2010
The only need I have for a tv is for my PS2, so a standard definition is just fine.

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
TheHecatomb said:
I really don't care about TV that much, and consequently I don't own one. Not even a SD one. Might buy one some day, but it's pretty much at the bottom of my wishlist at the moment. I do have a 24" full HD LED screen on my desk though on my PC though, got my PS3 hooked up to that as well.
As my computer screen, is actually what I use my 32 inch HDtv for. I rarely use it for cable tv, maybe three times a month. Besides, if there is a show I really like, I can watch it through the internet. I love Doctor Who, and when it has it's season, I just wait about 4 or 5 hours after it airs and then I go online and find it, usually in HD too.
Really, if you have cable internet, there isn't a point in having cable tv as well, since it is all eventually placed on the net. Occasionally I'll really have to look for something, because networks are always on the hunt trying to take shows down for 'infringement', but in the end they are fighting a losing battle, and shows that they take down will be right back up the next day.

Wieke

Quite Dutch.
Mar 30, 2009
My television is an old old non-hd television, haven't used it in ages (literally can't remember the last time it was used). For most of my visual media i use my computer, which has a 23 inch HD lcd screen.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
I have a Sony Vega that's about 10 years old, with the big ol' cathode ray tube still - it's the best, and I haven't found a reason to dump 1,000+ for a smaller LCD screen yet...

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Yes, and I can hand you a birthday card made by a two year old and one bought from Hallmark and they both serve the same purpose, but one looks better. I'd be willing to bet your friend didn't adjust his system settings after plugging his console into his HD tv. Because if you can't see a difference then there's something wrong with your eyes.