Poll: Does DRM ever actually affect your purchase?

Xpheyel

Sep 10, 2007
Yeah. Though I think I got Securommed with Arkham Asylum? Bought that one anyway.

Farcry and Crysis are the ones I've been interested in and deterred because of the DRM. Crysis gets increasingly hilarious as time goes on and still has a rootkit. "Gah, we must protect our 4 year old game we're selling for a song from teh piratzorz!"

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
I was thinking about getting Assassin's Creed: revelations and Battlefield 3 for PC but since they have always on DRM and require Origin, respectively, I will only be getting those for xbox if at all.

Then again, Im not happy with Microsoft at the moment over their "no clas action suits" dick move and I have yet to update my xbox because of that. So maybe I won't get the games at all.

Oh well, I have Skyrim and Skyward sword to keep me busy for a long, long time.

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
The only DRM I'm ok with is the very basic CD key stuff that comes with the manuals and junk.

If it requires that I have an account with origin/steam (assuming its a physical disk I bought), or that I constantly be online to play the game, than I refuse to buy it from the company.

If its a game I really want, well... I'll obtain it through any means necesary that avoids the company who put it out getting a profit. (Before any of you hit that report button, how do you know I'm not talking about buying it used?)

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
I chose the first option. I refused to buy Assassin's Creed Revelations because of the DRM on brotherhood.

Torrented version on my brother's computer: move one crack folder and youre good to go.
Legitimate version of Brotherhood: Three days until the DRM stopped tweaking and blocking my access to MY GAME.

So fuck UbiSoft. Their DRM does nothing but deter customers, and has made my desire to continue the assassin's creed story evaporate.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
bahumat42 said:
hazabaza1 said:
Can't really think of a time it has. Of course, if it's stuff like Ubisoft's always online jazz, I'll probably just get it on console instead anyway.
ubi dropped that for revelations (my first prucahse of the ass creed franchise, notice the reason lol)
Well, I'll probably still get it on console, since my PC is shite.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Nope, it's all crackable in the end. I buy the game legit and still crack it just so I can play normally.

Lev The Red

Aug 5, 2011
i voted no. i play all of my games on either my 360 or Steam, and DRM is fairly easy to manage on both of those.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Minus steam, I don't buy games that have DRM in them, why? Because the only logical intended purpose for DRM is to piss off customers since no pirates ripped version would contain limited installs or require you to be online to play because they just rip it out, so if they rip it out within a week of release and they're the 'intended targets' what does that mean for the DRM? It's meant to piss off consumers.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
No.

The only time DRM has ever inconvenienced me I was just able to call up Ubisoft they gave me 5 more activations for the game, so I was good to go.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I try to avoid it since I don't want to support it, but if a really good game comes out I'll deal with it. By deal with I mean crack.

Dark Prophet

Jun 3, 2009
I remember the first big game that had DRM, Spore, and it became the most pirated game of its time.
Next there was Bioshock that fucked me over with DRM, so that I had to pirate the game to play it because the tech support basically told me it's not their problem.
My brother got burnt with some Ubisoft game I think it was the first Assassins Creed and told me that fuck if he ever buys a Ubisoft game again.
I never bought,and I probably never will, C&C4 because of the DRM despite being a huge C&C fan.

Raine_sage

Sep 13, 2011
Jodah said:
Keep in mind I used to play MMOs so it's not the being online thing that is a deal breaker it's the idea that I play most games single player only and expect to be able to play that even if my internet is out. If I want to play online I'll get an MMO.
This so much. When I'd moved to my appartment and we were still waiting for the internet guys to come hook things up, I thought to myself "Hm it is incredibly dull with no internet and no cable and no game system. I think I will buy a nice PC game to take the edge off."

And then spent the next hour or so in gamestop trying to find a game that I didn't either have to A) Register online in some way or B) need a full internet connection to actually play.

I think I wound up getting Dragon Age, which was a good buy, but there were so many others I had to pass over because of DRM.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
Yes amd i rarely buy PC games because of it.

I?d rather pay £40 a year for xbox live then be dicked around by DRM that thinks everything is suspicious.

I bought DOW2 and Chaos rising and had to be pissed about by fucking GFWL, they removed the pre-order DLC from the server so i bought a special edition for nothing.

Spore pissed me around as well, uploading everything my account does.

PC gamers get games cheaper then consoles, have access to mods made by fans and can usually get a better experience then console gamers (looks and control mainly). But none of that tempts me when most companies stick DRM programs that act like spyware and always intruding on my gaming experience.

The last games I bought for my PC are Minecraft, Starcraft 2 and DOW2: Retribution. Minecraft because it had no DRM, Starcraft 2 because Blizzard don?t fuck over their customers and DOW2: Retribution because they dropped GFWL for Steam which again doesn?t fuck over it?s customers (and opened up to the modding community).

EDIT: also it seems that Pirates get the better deal out of it because most of the pirated games have the DRM ripped out and made playable offline/detached from the online service. and they get it for free. i wonder sometimes how long it will take for developers to realise that if they can put the DRM in then there are people who can also take it out.

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
karloss01 said:
[...]

The last games I bought for my PC are Minecraft, Starcraft 2 and DOW2: Retribution. Minecraft because it had no DRM, Starcraft 2 because Blizzard don?t fuck over their customers and DOW2: Retribution because they dropped GFWL for Steam which again doesn?t fuck over it?s customers (and opened up to the modding community).
You know, Bnet2.0 is actually the 101 of 'how to fuck over your customers' and acquire full control.

OT: I avoid every abusive DRM and stopped buying games of several publishers, e.g. I would have liked to get the new Heroes, but no Ubisoft games for me...

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
If it has "Always online" DRM I'll not get it as although my net connection is ok it does blip out frequently, I usually don't notice as I'm doing other stuff but at it's worst it can drop off every 10 minutes. Problem with living out in the sticks with an overloaded exchange I suppose.

If it's going to install anything in order to DRM me up the walls I won't get it either.
There are enough malicious people flinging stuff around to screw up your PC anyway, seems highly stupid to deliberately install some just to play a game.