Poll: Does Hatred actually look like a good game?

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I actually thought that it looked like the game could have been really excellent. The shooting action and destructible environments look really, really good. I was thinking how awesome it would be to take that engine and make an updated version of "Alien Shooter" (if you haven't played that game, go to GOG and download it and its sequel time now).

But (at least what I've been able to guess from the trailers), its attempts to be edgy and dark just look incredibly lame. It seems like a game designed by angst-ridden, socially awkward teenagers who want to murder everyone because they can't get a date.

That being said, I'll withhold judgment until the game comes out. Maybe it'll end up being very different than what we've been expecting.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
IDK, why don't we wait or the game to be released?

Iwata said:
I see this game as the gaming equivalent of those annoying click bait headlines that plague online news services today. And just like those headlines, I'm not touching it.

Plus, I don't particularly feel like supporting a developer who has staff associated with neo-Nazi and white supremacist groups, even if it is 'only' by liking FB posts and wearing t-shirts supporting said groups.

Deny it happening with one staff member, ok. Two, kinda dodgy. Three, and you're out. Particularly when they try to argue that we are just getting it wrong, that those people are 'national heroes' that History misjudged while calling detractors 'commie lovers'.

Fuck this game, and fuck these guys.
STOP. STOP.
STOP SPREADING MISINFORMATION.
They are not associated with neo-nazis or white supremacists.
They are associated with right-wing groups, there is a huge difference. People keep spinning this into "they support neo-nazis" when it is false.

The historical guys that they support?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cursed_soldiers
they fought against Stalin, you know that guy that brutalized every country he got his hands on?

Polska Liga Obrony is the ONLY thing remotely shady that ONE of the devs is associated with.

It's really ironic that people can see that the game is intended to start controversy, yet also believe the "controversy" that the media is trying to cook up around the game's dev.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
It looks interesting to me. I actually like the design of the antagonist and the art direction of the game. While I understand why others call it infantile, I don't quite agree completely. It's one of the things that does impress me about the game. The devs are crafting a very specific atmosphere that is very fitting, and the sound design that I've heard so far is quite good.

The game isn't just a pointless rampage simulator too. There indeed is a story to the game. A beginning and an end. And I am curious to see what the story to this could be.

The isometric twin-stick shooter isn't exactly an innovative format, but I admit that I find this format to be quite fun if handled well. The only interesting mechanic I know of is completing executions as the only means of regaining health. The further your progress into the game, the more deadly the police resistance becomes. I can see this being pretty challenging later on. Destructible environments look pretty neat too.

I've got my eye on the game, and I may end up buying it to see what the Devs end up doing with this unique context.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
There's been almost no gameplay shown to speak of...running into a room in isometric view shooting at people for 5 seconds of a gameplay trailer doesn't really tell you what the gameplay is truly like. That and the specialty kill animations.

What kind of actual threats are you facing? How do these threats change gameplay?
What are the combat mechanics?
Is there leveling? Skill progression? Crafting?
Are there story driven linear goals? Or is this a GTA map that's completely free roaming?

In other words...I need to know a LOT more about this game to seriously consider it's worth either way.

EmperorZinyak

Aug 3, 2014
Reminds me of Diablo 2 with it's gritty artstyle but in UE4 instead.

GTA 1,2, 3, and 4 didn't make me steal cars and drive over pedestrians along with searching for a tank, while being hired to kill some mafia gang, so i'm sure Hatred won't make me grow long hair and wear a long jacket either.

I'm hoping for something more complex though, instead of just meaningless rampage, it hopefully has some other plot involved.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Tohuvabohu said:
Wow, they got Adam Skorupa in on this? He composed music for The Witcher, both of which have awesome soundtracks, and the video you linked was really damn good. This has certainly raised my hopes a little. I'm starting to develop a little bit of genuine hype for this myself.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
babinro said:
There's been almost no gameplay shown to speak of...running into a room in isometric view shooting at people for 5 seconds of a gameplay trailer doesn't really tell you what the gameplay is truly like. That and the specialty kill animations.
In case you want to see more of the game, there has been a new trailer released that is mostly composed of gameplay in case you haven't seen it.

Some more executions, lots of explosions and destruction. And more of dat delicious dialogue.

What kind of actual threats are you facing? How do these threats change gameplay?
Mostly police. And there's some rumors that some civies might attempt to fight you as well. As you progress further into the game, the threats you face grow a lot more serious.

The police will get on you pretty soon after the game begins. The devs have said there is no "incognito" mechanic, since you step out of your house immediately brandishing weapons. You can choose to not shoot anyone, but even if you don't, the public will still alert the police about the scary guy running around aiming a huge gun at everyone.

I assume you'll be unable to surrender to the cops once they show up, and will eventually begin shooting you.

What are the combat mechanics?
The only notable one I know of is having to execute people to regain health, it's your only means of healing yourself. I don't think there's any cover systems or anything. Destructible levels will play a role into the tactics as well.

Is there leveling? Skill progression? Crafting?
I believe it's a No on all counts, except possibly the last.

Are there story driven linear goals? Or is this a GTA map that's completely free roaming?
There is a story, and level progression. Although the levels are fairly large and open, you do progress from one level to the next, until you reach the end. The devs have been very quiet as to what the story is, and what exactly you need to do to progress to the next level. But it's not all just a Killing Flooresque rampage simulator until you die.

BathorysGraveland2 said:
Wow, they got Adam Skorupa in on this? He composed music for The Witcher, both of which have awesome soundtracks, and the video you linked was really damn good. This has certainly raised my hopes a little. I'm starting to develop a little bit of genuine hype for this myself.
Indeed. I should have mentioned that in my post. You can also hear more of his work in the trailer I linked above. The sound design really lends to the disturbed atmosphere and context of the game.

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
EmperorZinyak said:
Let's ignore all of the madness and hysteria surrounding Hatred for a discussion about whether or not it looks like a good game. From what I can tell from the trailers, it looks like it's worth purchasing. It's like a continuous GTA rampage, with more in depth features and destructible environments, which I'm a sucker for. However, there are a lot of unanswered questions about the game for me. The devs claimed it's a non-linear game in 7 different environments, with an ending. However, this raises a few questions. Can I just run from point A to point B, completely ignoring all the civilians around me like a trench coat-wearing Jesus? Is the goal to kill everyone before proceeding to the next level? Will spending too much time in a level draw out stronger and stronger police? I wish that the Devs would have a gameplay walkthrough sometime soon. All we have right now are two trailers with snippets of gameplay, I want to see how it all comes together. So, Escapists, does Hatred, disregarding the controversy, look like a game that's worth purchasing?
Why am I getting the feeling that you put more thought into the game then the creator did?

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
It looks like utter shit to me and I'd never play it.

The developers do have a right to sell it, though. And those that want to play have that right too.

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
Even putting aside all the controversy Hatred just looks like a shit game. It probably doesn't help matters much that I've never liked twin stick shooters or rampage-style gaming (I'm one of those guys that goes out of his way to avoid harming civvies in GTA games, just fyi). So no, Hatred is a game I would never support on any front, expect for maybe the right to be published, freedom from censorship and all that jazz y'know.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
No idea. I'll check the reviews on Steam in a month or two, if I've kicked my Sunless Sea habit by then.

Setch Dreskar

Mar 28, 2011
Being honest, no it looks very generic. Being I don't make much money I am certainly going to pass on Hatred, it doesn't do anything of note, even with the controversy of its premise which honestly feels better handled in the Postal series.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Lovely Mixture said:
IDK, why don't we wait or the game to be released?

Iwata said:
I see this game as the gaming equivalent of those annoying click bait headlines that plague online news services today. And just like those headlines, I'm not touching it.

Plus, I don't particularly feel like supporting a developer who has staff associated with neo-Nazi and white supremacist groups, even if it is 'only' by liking FB posts and wearing t-shirts supporting said groups.

Deny it happening with one staff member, ok. Two, kinda dodgy. Three, and you're out. Particularly when they try to argue that we are just getting it wrong, that those people are 'national heroes' that History misjudged while calling detractors 'commie lovers'.

Fuck this game, and fuck these guys.
STOP. STOP.
They are associated with right-wing groups, there is a huge difference. People keep spinning this into "they support neo-nazis" when it is false.

they fought against Stalin, you know that guy that brutalized every country he got his hands on?

Polska Liga Obrony is the ONLY thing remotely shady that ONE of the devs is associated with.

It's really ironic that people can see that the game is intended to start controversy, yet also believe the "controversy" that the media is trying to cook up around the game's dev.
Misinformation?! Why, because the dev said it ain't so, despite overwhelming proof to the contrary? Extreme Right-Wing groups. Just a nicer name for Neo-Nazis.

Trust me. I know what I'm talking about.

You also conveniently left out that in addition to one member supporting the Polska Liga Obrony - which is bad enough - their FX artist is also an open supporter of Młodzież Wszechpolska, another 'extreme Right Wing' group that just happens to spout nationalistic, racist and homophobic views.

And no, just because the Cursed Soldiers fought Stalin doesn't make them super-sweet role models, especially after they were adopted by extreme right groups -such as the ones above - as nationalist examples. The SS also fought Stalin, remember? So did the Japanese Empire. That argument that he's just wearing the t-shirt of some harmless icons loses even MORE weight when the guy wearing the t-shirt is ALSO an open supporter of Obóz Narodowo Radykalny, yet ANOTHER extreme right wing group that the EU Human Rights commission has accused of regularly engaging in hate speech.

And saying he liked their FB page for the 'news' is like saying you read Playboy for the articles.

As I said: one incident, you can try and waive off. Three? Sorry, you can make all the excuses you want, but it's pretty clear what you stand for.

So you'll forgive me if I find it particularly distasteful if people with this sort of mentality make a mass-murder game.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
No, no it doesn't. It looks like a more "professional" equivalent to those games made about school shootings just to get a rise out of people. Outside of that, games with an isometric view have never particularly appealed to me.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
It looks like an updated version of Postal 1. Whether that's good or bad to you depends on your thoughts of Postal.

Just Ebola

Literally Hitler
Jan 7, 2015
Lovely Mixture said:
STOP. STOP.

You say that like it's not significant. Even putting all of their associations aside, the devs still respond to their detractors with all the professionalism and grace of an angry fourteen year old. Which is ironic because it feels like those are the exact people this game is for. This is a tasteless attempt at wish-fulfillment, plain and simple.

It's not the violence that's off-putting, it's the way mass murder is glorified, the way the protagonist is painted as some bold revolutionary who's not afraid to go against the grain. I'm against censorship, so I wouldn't say it should be banned, but I won't hesitate to call it out as the bullshit it seems to be.

I've seen a lot of comments saying that the gameplay resembles a school shooting, and what really put me off the whole thing was the speech the protagonist gave at the beginning of the trailer. It sounds exactly like thought-process of a school shooter. I'm not one of those people who thinks videogames make people violent, but this seems like it's marketed towards violent people. Anyone who takes pleasure in this has some serious fucking problems.