Poll: Does Hatred actually look like a good game?

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Nope.

Not just the material and focus of the 'story' here working against it.

The isometric shooter has never appealed to me in anything but turn based strategy form.
I just don't enjoy twin stick shooters.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
It looks fun enough to play, in the iso-shooter lobbies at least. More effort in the day to day shoot out effects at the very least.

I'm just kind of sad it's in Hatred where... Uh, comically juvenile violence is about the only draw. Which, well, is fine really except the whole helpless civilian thing.

But as a /game/. Doesn't look too bad.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
I'm not socially maladjusted enough for the spree shooter fantasy to be appealing, I'm not 14 enough for the "GRRR SO EDGY" story to be anything less than contemptible, I'm not fascist enough to want to give the scumbag devs a cent of my money, and after all that the gameplay looks a tiny bit absolutely shit. So yea not the least bit interested. If I want cathartic violence I can play brutal Doom, and that comes with the upside of -not- being 3edgy5me.

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
I don't think you can say if it looks like a good game without playing it. This applies for any game because a great looking trailer (gameplay or prerendered) can look great but the game itself can be awful. That said, I feel Hatred is one of the rare examples where the trailer fairly adequately informs you to what the game is, and while that doesn't tell you if it will be a good game, it tells some people that they will not like it automatically due to the content. I think, based on the trailer, the game has a lot of potential for a few niche audiences and I am a part of that niche audience. I personally enjoy extreme human behavior, serial killers fascinate me and the idea of a game letting you (possibly) be put directly in the shoes of one is very interesting to me. That said, I cannot say it will be a good game because I don't know what the game is. My assumption at the moment is that the game will be like POSTAL 1, you start out with a gun, kill people, cops come, you kill them, eventually you die and then you can try again. If that is it, I doubt I will like it, it it is simply a hold-out game it would probably just be like trying to survive a high wanted level in GTA, which is fun for a bit but gets old.

The destructo-physics mentioned in the trailer could be interesting, but I feel the isometric perspective will limit their use, it will be interesting to see how they play into it and if they actually work, if they do then great but I am not interested in the game for destructo-physics, I have Battlefield 3 for that.

Another thing I think worth mentioning is that I don't expect Hatred to be a "fun" game. There is a fun sort of cathartic violence, I really like playing Brutal Doom but I don't think Hatred is going to be that sort of game. It might mechanically be similar but the tone and idea behind it will prevent it from being carefree fun like Doom and be more introspective and interesting. It reminds me of Telltale's Walking Dead series, I played through season one and had 0 fun the entire time. However I still recommend others play through it because while it wasn't fun or entertaining, it was interesting and worth experiencing. I will eventually get season 2 but knowing how season 1 played out, I am waiting for the perfect time to have a good 4 hours of depression because that was the experience I got from season 1.

Final little side note: I have been wanting to bring this up for a while now so I'll do so now. People ripping on the dialogue in the trailers for Hatred aren't as clever as they think they are. The dialogue sounds corny and cliche to lots of people but based on my (VERY LIMITED) research of mass murderers/shooters (mostly columbine research), that dialogue actually fits almost eerily perfectly with how SOME mass murders think. One line in the second trailer is about how people feel safe inside their homes is almost word-for-word a line I read in a book about a school shooter. Lots of people comment how the dialogue sounds all angsty and childish but that doesn't mean it is inaccurate. My belief is that more sophisticated dialogue would be illogical, the (real world) act of going out and killing people is very immature, its an immature way of dealing with your problems. In that sense the dialogue of the trailers fits the protagonist's motive almost perfectly. So the dialogue isn't really weak, its actually disturbingly accurate to some real-life people. Makes me hope the devs are actually pursuing the idea of being this evil man instead of simply making a game about shooting innocent people to exploit controversy. Kinda wish the devs would do a BTS sort of thing describing the gameplay more because as it stands now I have no intention of preordering the game despite it being something I am very keen on paying close attention to.

Haerthan

Mar 16, 2014
No. End of story.

Ok ok, let me tell you why now. If I want to kill people in a videogame I'mma need more than just simple "Humanity is scum, they need to die". Say "they all killed baby Jesus" or some shit like that. Make me really hate them so that it becomes cathartic to shoot them in the face.

Oh and the whole "pleading civilians eating a gun", totally not my thing yo. Make it quick, make it clean if you gotta do. Don't do that type of shit

Captcha: British Airways. Shit. just like any other non-European, non-Continental airline

Haerthan

Mar 16, 2014
Teoes said:
No, it looks fuckin' boring and 2edgy4me.

What the fuck is that shoehorned dig at Wu, above?
GGer ignore him. Some people can't stand that someone is making games not meant for them. I know I will for my own mental sanity.

Edit: also i tend to report people that derail threads (at least mine).

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Wrathful said:
Seriously, I don't understand why the sudden scrutiny over an unreleased game with controversial theme. How fast people forget about Manhunt and State of Emergency from Rockstar Games, I will never know. It feels playable but depending on the genre, I may be interested or not care about it.
I've never played 'State of Emergency', but I did play 'Manhunt'. In that game, you kill gang members out to hunt you, crooked cops and serial killers.

Hardly the same as going on a shooting spree against masses of civilians while spouting cheap lines about 'human scum that deserves to die'.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Maybe. It looks to me like a modern remake of the original Postal at this point. The original Postal wasn't a terrible game but it wasn't a game that I could just go in and play for hours on end. It's more the kind of game I put on if I need to kill about 20 minutes or so. This looks like they've just done the modern remake thing and while they're kept the game dark and gritty, the character in the original is almost exactly like the guy in Hatred...only with less hair of course. I won't be getting this game but I look forward to the reviews if the game ever does end up launching.

Lazule

Oct 11, 2013
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Not to mention over-eager crusaders who will leap to the defence of any perceived 'censorship' of anything controversial, without the self-awareness to realise they're being played.

Do such things have a right to be made and sold? Of course they do, and anyone who wants to play it is welcome to it. BUT, those same people should expect me to mask my utter disdain for it.
Agreed there. But still I wouldn't want the game to be censored, I don't think any game like this deserves to be censored... I mean it already has the A+ rating. That's enough in my honest opinion.

Also if it gets censored people will find other ways to access it and one of them is pirating the game.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
not really no.

even if you take the fact that its just 'controversy bait', game play wise it looks rather dull.

it's just another game who only note worthy selling point is ultra violence and even then its not that note worthy, not when I can think of other ultra violent games that have better/more interesting concepts going for them.

Timeless Lavender

Lord of Chinchilla
Feb 2, 2015
Nope. I am not a fan of its genre and the graphics/art style looked puke-worthy. I don't care for the gore or its moral ground but I am really not interested in it, especially when there are so many games I wanted to experience beside that.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Ya know, if you don't like the look of the game or have no intention of playing it or hell even have a problem with the developers, fair enough. But can some of you at least hold off on insulting those that do? Goddamn, I imagine some of the posts in this thread would be borderline mod-wrath-esque.

Let's take a look at current poll results. 27 for yes and 44 for maybe. Combined that's 71 Escapist users who are or might be interested in this game you're insulting right there. Fucking stop it.

Just Ebola

Literally Hitler
Jan 7, 2015
BathorysGraveland2 said:
Ya know, if you don't like the look of the game or have no intention of playing it or hell even have a problem with the developers, fair enough. But can some of you at least hold off on insulting those that do? Goddamn, I imagine some of the posts in this thread would be borderline mod-wrath-esque.

Let's take a look at current poll results. 27 for yes and 44 for maybe. Combined that's 71 Escapist users who are or might be interested in this game you're insulting right there. Fucking stop it.
That's interesting, most of the comment's I've seen seem civil, even the one's in what I hesitate to call "protest" of the game. The comments here seem way more civil than those you might find in a thread about Anita Sarkesian or GamerGate or what have you.

The decision whether some of the posts here deserve the wrath of the moderators isn't yours to decide (nor is it mine or anyone but the mods) but I'm curious which ones you're talking about. It doesn't seem to me that anyone has crossed the line of good taste, unless expressing one's opinion (however unpopular it may be) is suddenly punishable.

Having an opinion that doesn't sync up with 71 Escapists isn't an insult, and therefore there is no reason to fucking stop it.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Ebola_chan said:
Here's a few.

NinjaDeathSlap said:
It's an artistically decrepit taint, meant to cynically appeal to wannabe-misanthropic 14 year old's
major_chaos said:
I'm not socially maladjusted enough for the spree shooter fantasy to be appealing, I'm not 14 enough for the "GRRR SO EDGY" story to be anything less than contemptible
Mutant1988 said:
It looks like a game made by controversy invoking dipshits for controversy invoking dipshits. It's "edgy" masturbation material for juvenile morons.
Those types of remarks are the ones I'm discussing, especially the latter which holds no punches with the "for juvenile morons".

Just Ebola

Literally Hitler
Jan 7, 2015
BathorysGraveland2 said:
Those types of remarks are the ones I'm discussing, especially the latter which holds no punches with the "for juvenile morons".
I probably should have said "including the rules of conduct they broke."

Any developer who creates something like this opens themselves up for criticism, and I'll be very impressed if you can find a comment on the game that's actually more offensive than the game itself. If someone is holding out hope that Hatred will be good, great for them, but anyone who thinks differently is 100% justified in my opinion, based on the trailer.

I would be genuinely surprised if somebody who supported this game had such delicate sensibilities as to be offended by someone who thinks the game is "immature" or "needlessly controversial" or any other opinions I've seen thrown at it.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Ebola_chan said:
Obviously I'm not talking about people insulting the game itself, or even the developers, as I quite clearly indicated by saying: "if you don't like the look of the game or have no intention of playing it or hell even have a problem with the developers, fair enough". No, my problem is with people insulting others, including myself, who may be interested in actually playing the game and, shock horror, enjoying it. That's where my problem lies, not in slandering the game itself or its content.

Calling me or any of those other 70 people "socially maladjusted" and "juvenile morons" would certainly be crossing the rules of this site, I'd imagine.

EDIT: Not to mention that insulting people because of a game they're interested in/like is getting dangerously close to insulting people based upon what platform they prefer.

Just Ebola

Literally Hitler
Jan 7, 2015
BathorysGraveland2 said:
Ebola_chan said:
Obviously I'm not talking about people insulting the game itself, or even the developers, as I quite clearly indicated by saying: "if you don't like the look of the game or have no intention of playing it or hell even have a problem with the developers, fair enough". No, my problem is with people insulting others, including myself, who may be interested in actually playing the game and, shock horror, enjoying it. That's where my problem lies, not in slandering the game itself or its content.

Calling me or any of those other 70 people "socially maladjusted" and "juvenile morons" would certainly be crossing the rules of this site, I'd imagine.

EDIT: Not to mention that insulting people because of a game they're interested in/like is getting dangerously close to insulting people based upon what platform they prefer.
If a person expresses an opinion about the consumers of an obvious click-bait edgy title, do they deserve to be moderated because somebody with an opposing opinion might exist on the same site? The obvious answer is no, the original poster is speaking in generalizations based on the trailers they've seen.

If someone is truly offended by this, they should come up with a good counter-argument (the entire point of this thread is debate, afterall) not demand that the person be punished.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Ebola_chan said:
Well, insulting Escapist users is against the site's rules, so, 'ya know. Not to mention that at the end of the day it is just a video game, and hardly worth insulting people over. Besides, you can certainly bring up some points without being as blunt as to call people "juvenile morons" about it. At that point, they're just being as crass as the supposedly "edgy" product they're wailing against.

Just Ebola

Literally Hitler
Jan 7, 2015
BathorysGraveland2 said:
Ebola_chan said:
Well, insulting Escapist users is against the site's rules, so, 'ya know. Not to mention that at the end of the day it is just a video game, and hardly worth insulting people over. Besides, you can certainly bring up some points without being as blunt as to call people "juvenile morons" about it. At that point, they're just being as crass as the supposedly "edgy" product they're wailing against.
I don't mean to drag this on further than it's supposed to go, but I don't see how using the word "juvenile" will ever be as offensive or harsh as the actual game is (my chellenge still stands, by the way.)

Insulting Escapist users isn't ok, you'll never see me say it is, but suppressing one's opinions in fear that they might upset somebody is equally not-ok and whether or not that deserves punishment is once again not up to you.

As far as I can see, this site isn't intended for those who wish to walk on eggshells to express what they think. and keeping with that, why not compose an argument to contradict these comments like I suggested earlier, rather than insist their breaking the rules when there's no clear rule-breaking going on?