Poll: Does Hatred actually look like a good game?

EmperorZinyak

Aug 3, 2014
Let's ignore all of the madness and hysteria surrounding Hatred for a discussion about whether or not it looks like a good game. From what I can tell from the trailers, it looks like it's worth purchasing. It's like a continuous GTA rampage, with more in depth features and destructible environments, which I'm a sucker for. However, there are a lot of unanswered questions about the game for me. The devs claimed it's a non-linear game in 7 different environments, with an ending. However, this raises a few questions. Can I just run from point A to point B, completely ignoring all the civilians around me like a trench coat-wearing Jesus? Is the goal to kill everyone before proceeding to the next level? Will spending too much time in a level draw out stronger and stronger police? I wish that the Devs would have a gameplay walkthrough sometime soon. All we have right now are two trailers with snippets of gameplay, I want to see how it all comes together. So, Escapists, does Hatred, disregarding the controversy, look like a game that's worth purchasing?

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Not really. It would be pretty much impossible for me to look beyond the theme of the game but, even if I try, I just see something that may be fun for a few minutes assuming it's mechanically sound. It doesn't look like something that would have lasting appeal to me, similar to rampages in the GTA games.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
No, not for me. It just looks like generic controversy bait on the same level of gone home. It does one thing unique like gone home did but falls flat every where else. The destructible environments seem cool for a little bit but I know I would get tried of them after a hour or two and if I wanted to play a continues GTA rampage I would just get GTA then. Or play one of the many flash games where you do just that.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I don't like watching people suffer horribly and plead for their lives in any degree of reality.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Destructible environments look pretty neat.

Gameplay reminds me quite a bit of the PS2's "State of Emergency" which, whilst not a particularly good game, was amusing for a few minutes.

So, maybe it'll be a better version of that?

Hard to say. It's a bit too early.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
It's got a good concept, but I think the mechanics look pretty lame. I can't say an isometric action shooter really appeals to me. If it was turn-based maybe, but seeing as most of the people you are killing are fleeing civilians, I can't imagine that would work. So really, I'd say drop the isometric camera and turn it into a third of first person shooter. It's certainly unique enough to stand out against all the other FPS around, that's for sure.

Or perhaps you could look at it like a modern rendition of the first two Grand Theft Auto games? They were quite fun, so maybe this will work.

I will say though that the destructible environments and brutality of the executions look well done. But that's about it, I'm afraid. This seems to be a game with a better concept than gameplay, but who knows for sure?

Lazule

Oct 11, 2013
Seems fun but I would like to see a more gameplay first. I would buy it if its good and challenging enough. Gameplay and replay value sells a game for me pretty much.

The content can be edgy and hardcore but if the game is fun, hey why not... Its a game after all, its not real and I have seen worse stuff in Amnesia or Silent Hill 2 anyway.

offbeatpaladin

Feb 24, 2015
It could be. Who knows? It could be a free roam kind of slaughterhouse game like GTA can be, or maybe they could add some kind of progression tiers of abilities to make it like a modern day Diablo. That'd be pretty cool.

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
The Lunatic said:
Destructible environments look pretty neat.

Gameplay reminds me quite a bit of the PS2's "State of Emergency" which, whilst not a particularly good game, was amusing for a few minutes.

So, maybe it'll be a better version of that?

Hard to say. It's a bit too early.
I doubt that. I mean it's kinda in the same vein but State at least had color and I think a few 'fun' weapons. Music wasn't bad either but I'm remembering an old game that wasn't that good.

As someone else said, the destruction looks cool at least.

Ambient_Malice

Sep 22, 2014
Will it be a quality game? Maybe.
Would I buy it? No.

Because mindless killing games don't appeal to me all that much.

UberThetan

Oct 6, 2014
I remember seeing the first Postal and thinking "Wow! That looks neat!" and, in my defense, it did look neat. Once I played it I got really bored, really quickly, so much so that when Postal 2 came around I mostly ignored it with a gigantic "meh". Turns out that while I liked going on the occasional rampage in GTA, when a game is ONLY that I tend to get bored quickly.

Hatred might change that if the mechanics and environments are interesting and fairly deep, but I'll hold off until I've seen more of it.

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
No.

Not even remotely.

It looks like a game made by controversy invoking dipshits for controversy invoking dipshits. It's "edgy" masturbation material for juvenile morons.

Aerith

Feb 25, 2015
To be honest? Yes, it does. Design-wise, the game looks like it will hold its own quite nicely. As for gameplay, it looks solid enough, from what little we've seen. It all boils down to the "why" of it, really. Is it pointless shooting? Is there a mission based system? Is there a goal? And if yes, what is it? That's what's going to make or break this game. But for now, it looks good.

DOOM GUY

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone
Jul 3, 2010
From what I've seen of the gameplay, it appears to play very well.

Now, does that mean it's going to be fun, not necessarily, however, it very well could be. Now, it may appear from the trailers that you're just going on a killing spree with no consequence, but in the first trailer I did see police, hell, an entire police station. We didn't happen to see any shootouts, but I'm fairly certain there will be many in the actual game, we may even see SWAT teams, and who knows, they may step it up even more.

Also, the level of destruction appears to be quite good, which can also bring about some really fun gameplay.

Is it needlessly violent? Yes. Is it creating controversy for publicity? Yes, actually. Does any of that mean it'll be a bad game? No, not at all, hell, it could actually be a very good game, but, you know, if your character doesn't have an actual purpose for killing people, it's more wrong than killing for money or something of that nature.

Lisker

Sep 6, 2014
I actually think the style of the game is incredible. The destruction looks fun too, the way trees sway with explosions, papers flying off desks etc, it creates spectacular set pieces. I'm also interested in what they will do with the story. I won't be playing it for the story primarily but who knows, I might be surprised.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Doesn't seem like a game that would hold my attention very long, so my answer is no. The only reason I ever enjoyed GTA rampages was because of how over-the-top and goofy they could be. This game doesn't appear to have the same absurdest attitude.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
No. It doesnt even come down to the hype around the game. The theme just kills it for me. When i first listened to the openeing in tis trailer I found myself disgusted by the atmosphere and theme they were going for. There was no artistic merit that I could see and the character being nothing more then a psycopath hurt my chances to play it even more.

Bottom line: Hatred is a nonstarter for me. I wont be buying it unless it pulls a specs ops the line and is secretly a great game hiding beneath the awful hype

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
Wrathful said:
Lazule said:
The content can be edgy and hardcore but if the game is fun, hey why not... Its a game after all, its not real and I have seen worse stuff in Amnesia or Silent Hill 2 anyway.
Seriously, I don't understand why the sudden scrutiny over an unreleased game with controversial theme. How fast people forget about Manhunt and State of Emergency from Rockstar Games, I will never know. It feels playable but depending on the genre, I may be interested or not care about it.
I actually thought Manhunt was pretty shit as well, gameplay wise. But the main character did not choose to be put into that situation.

State of Emergency I barely played, but as I recall you were fighting against a corporate takeover of government in that game. It also had a distinct sense of style in it's visual and audio design that made it feel removed from reality.

The Warriors by them is more similar to Hatred, in that you are explicitly a criminal doing bad things just because you want to. But that wasn't cartoonishly over the top with a stupid premise. It actually had some impact with it's violence and it was pretty clear that, while we root for the protagonists, they are not good people.

Hell, the protagonist of Hatred doesn't look even remotely likeable or even having any personality at all except whatever is necessary to justify the intentionally controversial themes the developers invoke.

The Punisher, I would argue, is a game that did gratuitous violence in a way that was both justified, in-character and appropriately gruesome. It had a point to it all.

Hatred looks like it wants nothing more than to generate sales from people playing it to be "edgy" for defying the norm. i.e. juvenile meat heads.

Windcaler said:
No. It doesnt even come down to the hype around the game. The theme just kills it for me. When i first listened to the openeing in tis trailer I found myself disgusted by the atmosphere and theme they were going for. There was no artistic merit that I could see and the character being nothing more then a psycopath hurt my chances to play it even more.

Bottom line: Hatred is a nonstarter for me. I wont be buying it unless it pulls a specs ops the line and is secretly a great game hiding beneath the awful hype
To me, I was put off from GTA 4 because of how obvious it was that Niko was a psychopath and because they tried to invoke sympathy for him. That and the crap gameplay, with the character moving like he weighs a ton and cars being blocks of ice weighing several tons and a cover system that made it harder to actually shoot people.

At least the cast of 5 got acknowledged as the egotistical psychopaths they were (The interaction between Trevor and Micheal is hilarious in it's intentional hypocrisy - The schizophrenic murdering psychopath admonishing the callous self serving psychopath for disloyalty) and actually had a sense of personality.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
Mutant1988 said:
To me, I was put off from GTA 4 because of how obvious it was that Niko was a psychopath and because they tried to invoke sympathy for him. That and the crap gameplay, with the character moving like he weighs a ton and cars being blocks of ice weighing several tons and a cover system that made it harder to actually shoot people.

At least the cast of 5 got acknowledged as the egotistical psychopaths they were (The interaction between Trevor and Micheal is hilarious in it's hypocrisy) and actually had a sense of personality.
This might shock people but I only played GTA4 for about an hour before I put it down and never picked it up again. It played things way to straight for my taste. I havnt even touched GTA 5 either, Ive just got no interest in it after how seriously GTA4 played itself.

That said, for my gangster fun I sort of went over to Saints row the third, and only the third one. Ive never gotten around to playing the earlier ones but the fourth one took things to far in the other direction for my tastes. I like the silly gangster feel of Saints row 3 so thats been my preffered game for that genre since it came out and it continues to be my prefered silly gangster game. Im hoping Saints row 5 gets back to those roots

I guess what Im saying is neither extreme fits for me. A more balanced game is right where I want it to be.

That said, Hatred is in the same position with it going toward the extreme though I find myself actually disgusted about how its portraying its theme.