Poll: Does Steam Need A Purging?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
While I'm not a big fan of Steam, I hate DRM, I started to notice that the site is FILLED with crap.

Not just 'this isn't my cup of tea'...feeling.
But, rather, 'this isn't tea, it's liquid ass juice'...feeling.

It seems like Valve is the new Atari.
Allowing anything and everything on their platform.

No matter how broken, fake, or just...shitty it is.

So...does Steam need to increase it's quality control and start The Purge?

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Perhaps, but it might be a little too late. There's just so many, and what are Valve going to say to the devs? "Your game isn't good enough, we're removing it"? They shouldn't have opened the floodgates and left the quality control to the community at the start.

Lacedaemonius

Mar 10, 2016
I wouldn't know. A little while ago my Steam client stopped working, and now I can only access my library and nothing else. I've done everything I could think of and find online, and nothing helps so... *shrug*

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Yes. So much shovelware garbage.

Ironically, back before Steam was as bad as it is now, Valve said they were thinking about pulling away from running Steam. (Basically make Steam its own thins separate from Valve) At the time I was against the idea, because I didn't want Steam to...become what it has become. Had I known Valve would have been the problem...

Mostly just get rid of all mobile games, and games that weren't originally on a real console or real PC games before Steam, then stay on top of shit. I don't like the idea of just removing games willy nilly, but we do need a reboot.

If I wasn't so entrenched in Steam, I would just use GoG, but 268 > 18 games.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Eh, I tend to think of Steam as something like the postal service.

They deliver games from developer/publisher to me and take a cut for the service.

I don't really hold them responsible for quality control.

I wouldn't be heartbroken if they scrubbed the crap away, but it being there doesn't hurt me. I like to think I know crap when I see it (Who bought Brink brand new? Me? Never!) so I just don't buy it.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
As someone who never thought Greenlight was a good idea from the very beginning, I gotta' admit to a little schadenfreude with how utterly putrid Steam has become.

There's a reason we distinguish between professionals and amateurs, and understand amateurs are not as good.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
I don't see the problem now we have refunds on Steam.

If a game is terrible don't buy it, if it tricked you into buying it get a refund. I think Steam is better having no restrictions and a refund policy that only having 'good' games as what one person thinks of as a terrible game someone else may think is game of the year.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
A wipe? No.

A guy hired just to comb through Greenlight and trim some of the worst garbage, from asset repackaging to obviously fraudulent games to renamed titles that have already been booted? Probably would be a good idea.

I think the worst problem right now isn't that crap games make it through, but that crap games have pushed a lot of people away from Greenlight, making it harder for the interesting stuff to get through. It seems like the only stuff that makes it these days are the ones being spammed through with bots/idiot mobs, or the rare game that gets a 'celebrity' (Youtuber) champion to help push it through. I think more people would be willing to participate in Greenlight, and thus improve it, if Steam put just a little bit of effort into ensuring that the gems were a bit easier to spot then they are now.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Have you seen those movies? They are terrible.

OT: Probably what's needed is better management overall.

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
I don't want to sound like a moron, but this is a stupid question.

Steam has become a veritable wasteland of sewage, with nary a faint hope of integrity or cleanliness.

Check out Jim Sterling's recent videos about it.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Maybe just an optional filter to shorten the lists would be nice. You can already remove everything that is in early-access from the recommendation lists, so maybe something like that could be done for finished stuff that came in through greenlight, or apply other criteria of your choosing.

I don't really need it, because if it looks and smells like a turd, it is a turd, but a filter could save a little time.

bdeamon

Mar 20, 2013
I doubt something large scale would happen. Don't forget, Valve still has investors to keep impressed and a large catalog probably helps.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
FalloutJack said:
OT: Probably what's needed is better management overall.
I agree with this. Other online stores also have problems but steam is just atrociously managed imo. I dont mind that they take a hands off attitude with what goes on there as long as there were better filters and ways of searching basically amuch improved UI.

Overall I dont use steam much simply because I dislike the interface and the fact my games are tied to a client on PC.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
We need a hundred people working full time to de-gunk this shit. I'd volunteer if they gave a crap.

ryan_cs

Aug 13, 2013
bdeamon said:
I doubt something large scale would happen. Don't forget, Valve still has investors to keep impressed and a large catalog probably helps.
No they don't, Valve is privately traded last time I checked.

Edit: Checked again, still listed as L.L.C according to Wikipedia.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I don't like early access.

But otherwise, no. I don't buy something if it isn't good. And now they offer refunds. Isn't it the purchasers responsibility to research a game before they buy it? Practice your die diligence.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I guess this is kinda revelent

Yeah I do agreed there should mod/ admin or someone to uphold the quality of the place.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Tanis said:
Not just 'this isn't my cup of tea'...feeling.
But, rather, 'this isn't tea, it's liquid ass juice'...feeling.
What's assjuice to you is someone else's champagne. Just ignore the shit you don't like.