Poll: Does Steam Need A Purging?

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Multiple people have quoted me and said 'consoles do it!'.
Most of my steam library will never exist on consoles because they don't think its worth the time to publish.

Others have mentioned that being removed from Steam doesn't mean removed from PC, and I can still seek those out.
I'd rather risk having pure trash on a trusted system, than having to search for things out in the wild. Then at least when a cleverly put together trailer and screenshot compilation slips a dud or scam past my wallet, I'm at least protected by steam, and not inviting various other crap into my system.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
CaitSeith said:
Sorry, but that doesn't take two minutes.
You're right. It usually takes less.

Or, are you implying that the system is a complete failure unless it only lists games you're interested in buying? Because, if that be the case, then every store, digital or not, needs to be redesigned.

And Valve isn't addressing scams as efficiently as you think (not as long as the YOLO army operates).
Did I say they were 'efficient' at it? All I said was that they do address blatant scams. But as I've also said, I think they should be more expedient about it.

And "company dictating what games I should and shouldn't play" Really? That's what you think a store filtering system would be for?
Of course that's not what it's for, but it IS an unfortunate side effect of such systems. Or do you plan to continue pretending that games like Rust and Broforce would have made it onto consoles at the same time they released on Steam?

Sorry, but as the situation is currently on Steam, the possibilities of discovering the next Terraria amid all the garbage that gets poured in the store is near zero.
My, that's a bold claim. You know that for sure? You've looked through the entire laundry list of new games and found none that anyone would enjoy? Not a one?

Are there a lot of terrible games on Steam? Yes. There are. There are also a lot of terrible games on every platform, system, and market. The video gaming industry is, and has always been, flooded by bad games and shovelware. This view that it is somehow a new predicament is just....bafflingly absurd.

"But, but, the shit games!" Yeah. And if they're shit, they are quickly forgotten, if they were ever noticed at all. (and far too many get noticed thanks, ironically, to people like Jim Stirling)

Is Steam without faults? Hell no. Not even remotely. Are there are certain games, developers, and publishers that must be dealt with for questionable, even fraudulent, behaviors? Absolutely. And Valve really needs to step up their game on that front. Does Greenlight need a complete rework? Oh mein gods, yes. But does Steam need a "purge" and some sort of console-level filter system? Absolutely not.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I don't really see the crap, my PC launches it, I look at the special and the weekend deal on the front page ... I might look through the sliding bar window (at the top centre of the front page), if I am bored or looking for a new game but other than that, I don't look around steam. I don't see 90% of it, don't follow curators or that que system or top sellers etc

I don't scroll down the never ending rabbit hole of the front page or early access etc.

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
Yes and no. We have steam reviews to warn people and steam refunds in case they ignore those reviews, so it's not like there's a rush. The only time it becomes a major issue is when broken games and hack jobs (see Digital Homicide) siphon all of the precious attention away from the legitimate indie games on the Steam Featured page.

I'd like to see Valve gradually remove their broken/faulty products but first close the gates that allow them to pour in. Maybe adopt a new Greenlight system similar to GOG's?

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
I'd say that Steam definitively needs to make changes to Greenlight, and the Steam store: I mean, for f***s sake, DigiHom actually managed to puke eleven different reskins of the same game onto Greenlight in a single day. That should be setting off warning bells for anyone.

Valve's Constantly Changing Position On DigiHom [http://mmofallout.com/column-valves-constantly-changing-position-on-digihom/]
[Not Massive] Valve Just Struck Down Digital Homicide [http://mmofallout.com/not-massive-valve-just-struck-down-digital-homicide/]

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Depends on the nature of the purge. An influx of crappy games has no effect on me, since I do my research before I buy games, so if there's going to be a purge, I'd prefer that it doesn't have any effect on my experience as an informed gamer.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Tanis said:
Does Steam need to increase its quality control and start the Purge?
I'd say they need to rethink Greenlight.

As with anything else, I think they started the project in good faith. They thought they'd attract passionate indies without a publishing platform, but it's instead turned into a way for shady shits to dump their quick cash-ins. Their hands-off and liberal approach has its positives, but Greenlight needs active curation, or clear publishing guidelines. If they cull anything out of the Romaine brothers (aka Digital Homicide) and the Unity Asset Flippers, they need to make sure it all *stays* culled.

Considering, I voted no. Just purging the cruft wouldn't suffice, anyone could still apply for Greenlight with more scummy crap. If Greenlight were curated - as in, sifted through with human eye-holes set on favouring quality applicants - we'd end up with good stuff. Unfortunately, that means work that goes outside of the money-generating system Valve's set up for itself. It's likely that Valve considers that curation isn't its business.

Look at it from a business standpoint. If you were a prospective Cabal Lead at Valve, would you want to be affected to overseeing everyone else's games, when you could be developing one or leading further research? Probably not.

Lykosia_v1legacy

Feb 17, 2010
My three biggest issues with Steam are:

1. Customer service. It's absolutely horrible.

2. It's difficult to find anything there. When I try to look some genres, sales or something, 90 % of the stuff that comes up are some dlc crap or something. Very difficult to find any new games. Remove DLC and other crap from the games list.

3. This isn't specific to Steam: new games are expensive. For some reason Steam and other DD services still believe that $=?. GOG is only one who offers regional prices, but even those aren't enough. Here retail PC games are generally 10-15? cheaper than Steam or other DD services.