Poll: Does the Eragon series deserve a new video game,

Iori Branford

Jan 4, 2008
Fondant said:
Now, books I can reccomend:

Most of Feist's books, though some are somewhat lacking.

Goodkind, for despite their being a tad hackneyed, he makes up for it by being good.

Trudi Canavan, for it is nice to have a female perspective on the fantasy world.
Don't forget George RR Martin and Martin Millar. Ice and Fire and Thraxas are exactly the kick in the nads the genre still needs more of.

Rodyille

Sep 11, 2008
I would never even think of reading the books or watching the movie or playing the game I would much rather read Harry Potter there is good fantasy out there people like RA Salvatore's Drizzt novels or The Songs of Fire and Ice by George RR Martin why would I waste my time on Eragon?

Shadow88

Oct 15, 2008
Lets face it people these books are what you get if you toss Star Wars and D&D in a blender w/ vodka and Kool-aid. So a game would be totaly retarded

qbert4ever

Dec 14, 2007
Great books, but the movie and game were a worse rape then what they did to Indiana Jones and John McClane combined. Hell, even I felt like I needed a shower after watching it.

So no.

Raven28256

Sep 18, 2008
TheBluesader said:
Have you people actually read these terrible, terrible things? Who'd want to wade through this pap in book form, let alone any other form?

Yes, the movie was terrible. But only because the books were so terrible. Don't blame the production. I wonder how you think it could ever have been good. Even a straight telling of the story from the book would have been just as boring and derivative of original works of fantasy to be a waste of our time.

And another game? Like we need more generic fantasy RPGs. If you need worn fantasy tropes that badly, play Oblivion or Fable II. They at least have a sense of humor about how they're ripping genuine originality off.
This, this, and this some more.

The movie sucked because the books have so little to offer. Stop fooling yourselves, guys. Eragon is and always has been an extremely generic fantasy novel that tries to take the best of far better literature and movies, only to fail horribly. Paolini took a bunch of better fantasy novels, threw them in a blender, then Eragon oozed out. I can point to 99.9% of the scenes in Eragon and say what novel/movie he raped them from.

Everyone praises Paolini because he apparently wrote Eragon when we was a young teenager. I say "Really? No shit? Damn, I thought so." The novels reek of amateurish writing by a teenager who likes fanfiction.net. The thing that Eragon fans then respond with is "Well, why don't YOU write something better?" No, I won't. You know why I won't? Because I recognize that I'm a terrible writer, that is why I DON'T FUCKING WRITE BOOKS!

qbert4ever

Dec 14, 2007
Raven28256 post=9.74818.872039 said:
TheBluesader said:
Have you people actually read these terrible, terrible things? Who'd want to wade through this pap in book form, let alone any other form?

Yes, the movie was terrible. But only because the books were so terrible. Don't blame the production. I wonder how you think it could ever have been good. Even a straight telling of the story from the book would have been just as boring and derivative of original works of fantasy to be a waste of our time.

And another game? Like we need more generic fantasy RPGs. If you need worn fantasy tropes that badly, play Oblivion or Fable II. They at least have a sense of humor about how they're ripping genuine originality off.
This, this, and this some more.

The movie sucked because the books have so little to offer. Stop fooling yourselves, guys. Eragon is and always has been an extremely generic fantasy novel that tries to take the best of far better literature and movies, only to fail horribly. Paolini took a bunch of better fantasy novels, threw them in a blender, then Eragon oozed out. I can point to 99.9% of the scenes in Eragon and say what novel/movie he raped them from.

Everyone praises Paolini because he apparently wrote Eragon when we was a young teenager. I say "Really? No shit? Damn, I thought so." The novels reek of amateurish writing by a teenager who likes fanfiction.net. The thing that Eragon fans then respond with is "Well, why don't YOU write something better?" No, I won't. You know why I won't? Because I recognize that I'm a terrible writer, that is why I DON'T FUCKING WRITE BOOKS!
Or, ya know, you guys could let the rest of us enjoy books that we like, and you can dislike them without being dicks about it. I for one think Shakespeare is boring, contrived, and he didn't know his ass from his elbow. But if a fan were to ask me if I think they should make (another) movie/play out of his work, I would say "not really, I'm not a fan of his work" instead of "no his work sucks a dick stop fooling yourself it's just shitty!".

Whobajube

Mar 25, 2008
Eragon is a perfect example of a book that should have been left as a book. I never played the game, but it's based on the movie, so it's got to suck, because they royally f***ed up on the movie. The books are awesome, please leave them alone now... haha

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
Raven28256 said:
Lol, I always forget I wrote stuff until someone quotes it and it pops up in my profile mail. Hee hee. Anyway, you are a wise...person...Raven. But I would encourage you to write even if you suck at it, if you feel you want to. Some bad writers have come up with some pretty interesting original ideas. It might make you proud you came up with something cool, even if you can't write anything about it.

As compared to Paolini, who had no original ideas OR talent, but did have two parents who quit real jobs to manage his crap full time because they knew it would be a life-long meal ticket if they promoted it enough. I mean, he's probably proud of the money. If he's proud of anything else, too bad for him, he's succumbed to his own joke. Which is funny, but also pretty sad.

Of course, at least he has the excuse of being a kid. No such pass for the likes of J.K. Rowling. For shame, world. For shame.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
I kind of hope the kid keeps writing, and makes better stuff, y'know? I'm sure he'll be embarassed when he looks back.

Rodyille

Sep 11, 2008
TheBluesader post=9.74818.872524 said:
Of course, at least he has the excuse of being a kid. No such pass for the likes of J.K. Rowling. For shame, world. For shame.
Dude that is the truest thing that I've ever read

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
Eragon is not a good book series

Hard to accept for some, but its true.

The movie based on it was terrible, and the game based on the movie based on the book series was, of course, even worse.

So, why would we want more punishment?

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
Rodyille said:
TheBluesader post=9.74818.872524 said:
Dude that is the truest thing that I've ever read
I guess I should shame the world for all the economic turmoil and genocides and everyone being jerks and such. But if you really think about it, those things come from human nature and you can't do much about them. But buying bad fantasy? Now that's just unforgivable.

Unforgivable, and very, VERY profitable.

CIA

Sep 11, 2008
My friend STOLE the first game and then wanted to return it.

So no, people should stop ruining my books.