Poll: Does Yahtzee affect your game purchases?

ImpostorZim

Jan 7, 2009
As much as I love his show, I tend to disagree with most of his opinions on games. If you were to take him seriously most of the time, it would almost seem as if he doesn't even like games to begin with. Not to say he doesn't have a point sometimes.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
Not much. His job is to point out every game's flaw. If we followed his word (and not that little "I liked this game" afterthought), then we'd likely own... 10 games, tops.

Sutter Cane

Jun 27, 2010
I'd say yes. Although he tends to be harsh, i find myself agreeing with him much more than i disagree. IMHO, his reviews tend to be spot on and are much more useful than any other source. I distinctly remember the one time i bought a game that Yhatzee reviewed poorly, Red Faction Guerrilla, i found myself having the exact same problems with the game that he did. The only times i can remember really having a drastically different opinion than him were with SSBB, although i do find that game overrated, and Clive Barker's Jericho (although honestly i think the entire world disagrees with me on that one). So yeah i let his reviews influence me, not because I'm a sheep, but because i seem to have similar tastes when it comes to games. However, I don't actually wait for his review to come out before i buy a game. If the review is out when i consider buying it, I'll definitely consult it. Also PS, just because he tries to make his reviews funny doesn't make them any less valid.

yamitami

Oct 1, 2009
Well I have no money so me buying games is off the table for the moment. Had I the money I would take Yatzee's reviews into account, however, I would do it with not only a grain of salt but a truckload. I also take it into account when trying out new games; back when I had money I decided to try out Psychonauts based on his review. As he said the platforming and difficulty curve were both impossible, but it's still buckets of fun because of the story.

As long as you keep in mind that anything he says is taken to the extreme then he is a valid source of info on what game to buy. Just not the only source. Then again I generally look at plot/characters first and gameplay second and he's been pretty on target with plot based comments however inflammatory. I love Metal Gear Solid and am perfectly capable of admitting that the cutscenes are ridiculous and so on and so forth.

Turbo_Destructor

Apr 5, 2010
I do liek yahtzee, his videos are hilarious, and I do actually agree with a lot of his criticisms. But he does greatly exaggerate them generally (which is ok, otherwise the reviews would be fairly boring). For example, with Halo Reach, I did agree that some of the missions seemed kinda pointless, and that the spartans were uncharacterised, but unlike Yahtzee, that didn't wreck the game for me, it was still lots of fun.

So in short, no he doesn't affect my purchases, or at least not individually. I'll often look at several reviews before i buy a game, but if I've made up my mind then i'll usually buy it anyway.

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
Not even in the least bit. I love his show only because it makes me laugh. But other than that, it doesn't effect me.

SpireOfFire

Dec 4, 2009
i bought saints row 2 simply because yahtzee said it was fun and what GTA4 should have been.

i love that game.

maiiau

Aug 29, 2010
No, that's not really what he's doing with his videos. Even if he was, we don't like the same games at all. Sometimes I have looked at games he doesn't like the genres of that he really likes, though, or ones from genres he obviously hates that he doesn't rip to bits. For example, his TWEWY video was a really good response from him for a JRPG.

Thedayrecker

Jun 23, 2010
A bit. If I've got money to spend I check some reviews, and if they agree with Yatzee's point of view, then.... yes?

I don't know. It's late, and it's getting kind of hard to form a thought

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
In short, no

In long, Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Its a comedy series, not a recommendation on what to play

Whiteout506

Sep 23, 2010
Yahtzee has a pretty good influence on me, but to be quite fair, our tastes and opinions are rather similar (see Black Ops and the piss-poor storytelling and constant explosions and gunfire). Still, if I'm at least a little interested in something, I'll talk to my friends and, if possible, do some split-screen play on their 360 or PS3 before actually deciding (PC Gamer, btw) on whether I truly want to buy it.

It's not that he's a satirist and completely crushes every game, he just highlights the bad points of the game as a warning because some people find serious problems with it. Many times have I heard that he finds a game fun, but without much else, i.e. Just Cause 2, and that's perfectly fine as he said, because the whole premise of JC2 is to "blow shit up" and "it's what holds the story together"

In closing, kudos to you, Sir Yahtzee. Keep up the laughs and you'll keep the beloved viewers. :D

Sinspiration

Mar 7, 2010
Hmmm.. Nope, not really, occasionally I'll agree with certain things, he just has more hilarious ways of putting it than I do. I've bought and still enjoy several games he didn't have anything good to say about (not that he frequently has anything good to say about anything), even if he blasted the entire Armored Core series (my fave gaming series personally) to bits I'd still say "lol, no, dont agree with you,"

Letting a single opinion among the many thousands out there sway you isn't enough, you have to like it or hate it yourself. Not everyone has the same tastes even if many games are made for large audiences, its often the smaller groups with specific tastes that get left out since its not as profitable to work toward their needs either.

Yahtzee does a great job of putting his views across in a way that is funny and, for the most part, inoffensive if you take it all with a pinch of salt. I'd be glad to see what he could come up with for a lot of my favourite games xD not that I expect he will.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
I chose Dead Rising 2 over Force Unleashed 2 a few weeks back even though i had no previous alignment since i hadn't played the 1st title of either. what does that tell you?

Ramare

Apr 27, 2009
cairocat said:
Yes he does. But not in any way you'd think. I use him to know what bugs there are, maybe a bit about the game play, or main character, and, of course, exactly how bad the worst part/bugs/entire story, plot, and game play of a game can/could/will be.

TiefBlau

Apr 16, 2009
Mr. Grey said:
TiefBlau said:
Mr. Grey said:
No, he's a satirist.

I mean, I didn't start eating babies after I read A Modest Proposal.
No. Just...no.
But you understand what I mean, correct?

That rarely anything he says should be taken seriously -- in the case of A Modest Proposal you shouldn't take any of it seriously, even if it is a well made argument it is one made in jest. Yahtzee even said it himself that he deliberately focuses on the negative aspects of the video games he "reviews" because that's what's funny. It's even funnier when you've played the game yourself and know what he's talking about, he's essentially a stand up comic that relates to you.
The thing is, though, that Jonathan Swift wants to be listened to. Not literally; of course not. His satire is purposefully vitriolic and in comparison to something like, say, Pride and Prejudice because he wants to inspire change. He's no different from Jon Stewart, sarcastically embracing the flaws of the argument he wants to undermine, because he wants people to know that these arguments are ridiculous, and that these ridiculous things need to change.

That being said though, I don't think Yahtzee is like Jonathan Swift or Mark Twain. I consider him to be a lot more playful, acknowledging his points of view are far from objective and poking fun at himself as much as anyone else. However, he still has some strong views about gaming, and he still appeals to the readers' sense of reason.

thatguy1

Mar 1, 2010
Generally no, but there was one situation where I saw saints row 2 for a unbelievable price and decided to just go for it, keeping his review in mind. That was a good decision.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
thatguy1 said:
Generally no, but there was one situation where I saw saints row 2 for a unbelievable price and decided to just go for it, keeping his review in mind. That was a good decision.
this, and he helped me realize 99% of FPS games and JRPGs are samey and not worth my time so i didnt have to waste any of my own personal money on them :D