Poll: Dragon Age 2 DLC?

Gone Rampant

Feb 12, 2012
Well, since Exalted March has gone like Saints Row: Enter The Dominatrix and has been cancelled/moved to a sequel, I just need help deciding what DLC I should get for the game now.

Just to note, I bought 2900 Microsoft Points, but 800 is for ME3 DLC and the other 400 is for the Skyrim stuff dropping next week.

I'm not getting the item packs, but I really wanna try Mark Of The Assassin and Exiled Prince first. Out of interest, does anyone prefer Legacy and Black Emporium over them?

But to note: If you don't like Dragon Age 2, then don't mention it. I'm not forcing you to type to me about it.

Verzin

Jan 23, 2012
personally I wouldn't buy any DLC for DA2, but if I did it would probably be Legacy.

Gone Rampant

Feb 12, 2012
I don't know, not a fan of going through deserts (I tend to make bad jokes about The War On Terror and how America's trying to make some new states), but I really wanna get Exiled Prince.

Also, if it matters, next playthrough will be as a mage.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Gone Rampant said:
I don't know, not a fan of going through deserts (I tend to make bad jokes about The War On Terror and how America's trying to make some new states), but I really wanna get Exiled Prince.

Also, if it matters, next playthrough will be as a mage.
Well, if you get the Exiled Prince, you also get one of the most horribly offensive things that Bioware has written.

If you take Sebastian on the quest where Anders tries to stop Ulrik the Templar from enacting his "Templar Solution" (subtle), you get treated to this lovely line from Sebastian."

"It looks like your Templar Solution wasn't the Holocaust you were hoping for!"

Yep, that's right, Bioware compared the persecution of Mages, who in this game were just as unsympathetic as the Templars, to the Jewish Holocaust.

Gone Rampant

Feb 12, 2012
It's actually the "Tranquil solution," but... a Holocaust line? I've heard Sebastian talk (I know people say he's Scottish, but DAMNIT I think he's Irish), so that coming out of his mouth?

You're sure it wasn't Fenris? Oh wait, no matter who said that line, it'd be bad.

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
If you take Sebastian on the quest where Anders tries to stop Ulrik the Templar from enacting his "Templar Solution" (subtle), you get treated to this lovely line from Sebastian."

Yep, that's right, Bioware compared the persecution of Mages, who in this game were just as unsympathetic as the Templars, to the Jewish Holocaust.
Holocaust doesn't necessarily refer to what happened in WWII, it just means massive destruction and death, like a nuclear holocaust.

Still, it's a pretty dumb oversight to use it in a fantasy game considering the word's religious origin and the context you're referring to.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Thoric485 said:
Soviet Heavy said:

Holocaust doesn't necessarily refer to what happened in WWII, it just means massive destruction and death, like a nuclear holocaust.

Still, it's a pretty dumb oversight to use it in a fantasy game considering the word's religious origin and the context you're referring to.
There is no way that they weren't using it in the context of the Jews. Tranquil Solution is just a word away from Final Solution.

Gone Rampant

Feb 12, 2012
Hang on- didn't the Chantry or humans in general slaughter the s**t out of the Dalish Elves?

We have the origin in-universe for the word "Genocide" ladies and gentlemen.

WFox

Aug 6, 2010
Of the DLC, Legacy was the best. Sebastian isn't all that useful and his missions are underwhelming, although his act III mission gets you a cameo from an Origins character. Personally, I don't like Mark of the Assassin because I find Tallis (the titular assassin) to be a hole in the lore that was established so that they could say, "HEY we have Felicia day! Isn't that cool? FELICIA DAY!"

The Item packs are nice because they give you unique weapons that level up with you, but that's it. Legacy also gives you a unique (and customizable) weapon, as well as the best story of all the DLC's.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Gone Rampant said:
Well, since Exalted March has gone like Saints Row: Enter The Dominatrix and has been cancelled/moved to a sequel, I just need help deciding what DLC I should get for the game now.

Just to note, I bought 2900 Microsoft Points, but 800 is for ME3 DLC and the other 400 is for the Skyrim stuff dropping next week.

I'm not getting the item packs, but I really wanna try Mark Of The Assassin and Exiled Prince first. Out of interest, does anyone prefer Legacy and Black Emporium over them?

But to note: If you don't like Dragon Age 2, then don't mention it. I'm not forcing you to type to me about it.
Since you can only get one of the DLCs, get Legacy. I will explain why, but first I'll tell you why you should avoid the others.

Item packs: No. Just...no. You get plenty of good weapons and gear throughout Dragon Age II. There's no reason to pay for items.

Exiled Prince: Meh. You can't even use him until the Second Act. His attacks are very slow and Varric can do everything he can, only better. He also doesn't have the polish that the other characters have I believe. Not as funny, or charming. And, depending on how you feel about Anders, you won't get to use Sebastian at the end of the game either. So, missing from the first part of the game, and the end of it. Get him when you have extra cash.

Mark of the Assassin: This was a fun little side mission. The Dragon Age team poked fun at their game and themselves through dialogue in this DLC. "It's nice to get out of Kirkwall for a change," said a party member. "Yes. We do seem to spend a ridiculous amount of time there, don't we?" Hawke answered. Stuff like that. You also see some cameos from Origins, and find out that Talis had relations with one characters. It's also fun to make Merrill jealous. Now, this sounds like a win, but all in all, it's simply a little side mission and doesn't really add anything worthwhile. Still, get this before you get E. Prince.

The reason you want Legacy is because it's a glimpse of what Dragon Age II could have been. Your choices, especially from Awakening, play a role if you bring Anders with you. You go to several different locations and get some nice items. You also get, in what I feel is most important to these types of games, tons of lore. You learn more about the Grey Wardens, the origins of the Darkspawn, and Hawke herself (mine's a girl). There are some shocking revelations late in the DLC, and if you take Anders with you, you are treated to extra scenes and see him questioning everything he believes in, something that he needed to be doing all throughout the last part of the game.
So, that's why I think Legacy is the best. If you, like me, are a fan of the story and lore of the Dragon Age world, this is, without a doubt the one to pick up. I don't want to spoil anything for you, but I feel that all the stuff that happens in Legacy will have a big impact on the next Dragon Age game.

A pity about the Exalted March, huh?

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
I'd recommend none. But if you're absolutely set on getting one, make it Legacy. Sebastian is lame, the item packs and Emporium are boring, and Tallis is just turrible.

Gone Rampant

Feb 12, 2012
Sniper Team 4 said:
Gone Rampant said:

Since you can only get one of the DLCs, get Legacy. I will explain why, but first I'll tell you why you should avoid the others.

Item packs: No. Just...no. You get plenty of good weapons and gear throughout Dragon Age II. There's no reason to pay for items.

Exiled Prince: Meh. You can't even use him until the Second Act. His attacks are very slow and Varric can do everything he can, only better. He also doesn't have the polish that the other characters have I believe. Not as funny, or charming. And, depending on how you feel about Anders, you won't get to use Sebastian at the end of the game either. So, missing from the first part of the game, and the end of it. Get him when you have extra cash.

Mark of the Assassin: This was a fun little side mission. The Dragon Age team poked fun at their game and themselves through dialogue in this DLC. "It's nice to get out of Kirkwall for a change," said a party member. "Yes. We do seem to spend a ridiculous amount of time there, don't we?" Hawke answered. Stuff like that. You also see some cameos from Origins, and find out that Talis had relations with one characters. It's also fun to make Merrill jealous. Now, this sounds like a win, but all in all, it's simply a little side mission and doesn't really add anything worthwhile. Still, get this before you get E. Prince.

The reason you want Legacy is because it's a glimpse of what Dragon Age II could have been. Your choices, especially from Awakening, play a role if you bring Anders with you. You go to several different locations and get some nice items. You also get, in what I feel is most important to these types of games, tons of lore. You learn more about the Grey Wardens, the origins of the Darkspawn, and Hawke herself (mine's a girl). There are some shocking revelations late in the DLC, and if you take Anders with you, you are treated to extra scenes and see him questioning everything he believes in, something that he needed to be doing all throughout the last part of the game.
So, that's why I think Legacy is the best. If you, like me, are a fan of the story and lore of the Dragon Age world, this is, without a doubt the one to pick up. I don't want to spoil anything for you, but I feel that all the stuff that happens in Legacy will have a big impact on the next Dragon Age game.

Yeah, it's a pity. Probably would've guaranteed an Ultimate Edition so I could get everything...

As mentioned, I don't care about the item packs one bit, and the only armour I want is Blood Dragon, which I can get by registering ME2 or Origins.

I know about Sebastian leaving if you side with Anders. I don't have a solid reason for why I want it, aside from, "He's sure to remind me to get all of the Chantry books this time."

If only there were more people like you to answer these kind of things. You bring a passionate argument and solid logic to it all, and I respect when someone does that.

Also, you're one of the first people to not say, "If you MUST get some DLC..." which is an instant win in my book.

So thank you for making me rethink Legacy. By interest, is there a reason you excluded Black Emporium? It does give you a dog and a facial remaker.

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
Hmmm, tough one. Since I bought it at launch, I got Exiled Prince and Black Emporium with the game, so I don't technically class them as DLC (Exiled Price in particular being the usual practice of ripping a character from the game to make extra money off it). Black Emporium is by and large fairly useless, just a couple of extra early weapons that quicky get surpassed...

So for me its a toss up between Legacy and Mark of the Assassin. Which like I say, is a tough call. I'm one of the few (maybe even the only) people who didn't actually mind Tallis. Sure, it was a little jarring when she showed up, because it became the Tallis show and Hawke was just a co-star, but it introduced some new enemies and... Oh wait, they were all french. Sorry, Orlesian.

Yeah, go with Legacy. None of these Orlesians poncing about in that.

Murmillos

Silly Deerthing
Feb 13, 2011
Personally, I'm waiting for a xbox price drop. $10 for a 2 hour DLC... for EA. FUCKING I DON'T THINK SO. For $5, we'll talk.

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
I voted for the black emporium cos it does have a couple of useful things in it and it was free because I pre-ordered.

I loved DA2, but I never buy DLC for anything.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Gone Rampant said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
Gone Rampant said:

Yeah, it's a pity. Probably would've guaranteed an Ultimate Edition so I could get everything...

As mentioned, I don't care about the item packs one bit, and the only armour I want is Blood Dragon, which I can get by registering ME2 or Origins.

I know about Sebastian leaving if you side with Anders. I don't have a solid reason for why I want it, aside from, "He's sure to remind me to get all of the Chantry books this time."

If only there were more people like you to answer these kind of things. You bring a passionate argument and solid logic to it all, and I respect when someone does that.

Also, you're one of the first people to not say, "If you MUST get some DLC..." which is an instant win in my book.

So thank you for making me rethink Legacy. By interest, is there a reason you excluded Black Emporium? It does give you a dog and a facial remaker.
I didn't include Black Emporium because I'm silly and totally forgot about it. I got it for free (new copy of the game with the code) so it was always part of my game to start with, so I never really thought of it as DLC--even though you listed it and I spaced it.
So...yes, you get a Dog. He has some fun little scenes in the house, and he serves as an extra target for enemies in battle. He doesn't seem to do much damage though, so think of him as a distraction for enemies only. The items sold at B.E. are good, if you have the coin early enough. There are also some interesting things to look at in the area. But really, it's just a glorified item pack. Pick it up if you want. It falls beneath E.P. but above the item packs.

Gone Rampant

Feb 12, 2012
Murmillos said:
Personally, I'm waiting for a xbox price drop. $10 for a 2 hour DLC... for EA. FUCKING I DON'T THINK SO. For $5, we'll talk.
XBOX doesn't price drop unless the developer demands it (Like Bring Down The Sky for ME1 being only 80 Ms points), so when they do a special thing every week where DLC is at a discount. Last time I checked, it was AC Revelations getting the cut.

Murmillos

Silly Deerthing
Feb 13, 2011
Gone Rampant said:
Murmillos said:
XBOX doesn't price drop unless the developer demands it (Like Bring Down The Sky for ME1 being only 80 Ms points), so when they do a special thing every week where DLC is at a discount. Last time I checked, it was AC Revelations getting the cut.
I know :) And I'll wait for as long as it takes (if ever). I'm in no rush to buy any DA2 DLC.