Poll: Dubstep, how do YOU feel about it?

Nash

May 25, 2012
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
I'm just kidding around with ya, don't want to flame you for your tastes.

People wanting or asking for a drop to be somewhere it doesn't belong is just one of my pet peeves. Thus the "I'm so superior for not listening to brostep" vibe I'm probably radiating in this thread.
It's cool, I get it. Like I said, I'm just a fan of drops in my dubstep. And I do like the occasional brostep if it's not just slapping wubs on a track with abandon.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
I fucking hate that shit. Whenever someone starts playing it near me, I immediately put my own music on full blast.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
manic_depressive13 said:
I have no particular feelings towards it. I wouldn't seek it out but it hasn't bothered me hugely the few times I have had to listen to it. It would probably piss me off if I had to listen to it too often though. It's a shallow and transparent type of music.
Yeah pretty much this... Though the shallow and transparent part goes for pretty much all "party" music... Not to mention you can apply passionless and sterile to a lot of it... It's just something all the bleepy bloop machines in the world having trouble getting across, you know actual emotion...<.<

but dubstep is particularly bad... seeing as how it's at that point where it feels like no one's even trying anymore... and don't give me that, "Oh but it's hard to produce dubstep." I'm sure it is, but that doesn't mean it sounds like it's hard... this kind of music just doesn't facilitate the kind of blood sweat and tears feeling wood and metal instruments would...<.<

Not to mention all the wub, wubbing is god damned annoying in ways that I can't even explain...

Also, Henry Rollins...<.<

Hardcore Punk rock legend, was the lead singer of Black Flag... for the uninitiated... also, influential in the formation of... pretty much all the rock genres that have emerged during the 90's...

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
I liked Dubstep for a while but mostly preferred Liquid Dubstep, really smooth stuff with a nice underlying bass rhythm that takes the harsh edge off the wobbles. Mostly though, I prefer DnB (especially liquid, atmospheric and jungle) when it comes to Electronic, with a good mix of trance, house and a smidge of techno.

Lately I've started going off electronic which really only leaves the Rock and Metal that I've listened to for most of my life.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh...never seen a good definition of what dubstep is.

To me, it jsut seems like crap electronic music, but what's the difference between it and any otehr form of crap electronic music? The artist is a bigger wanker?

There's presumably more to it than that, but I've missed something somewhere.

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
Some dubstep is good, some dubstep is bad. The same with any other genre for me.
I listen to the songs I think sound good.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I don't mind it, I even found a couple of songs I like. Actually, I like it when new genre's pop up, but unfortunately most of the popular songs are rubbish, like usual. I haven't heard anything great come from electronic music yet though, most of it is just wubwubwubwub.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
It's boring. all I ever hear is the same tune repeated ad nauseum. IMO there's a few ways music can be good and stand out. like having an intricate melody and good structure and buildup, having beautifull vocals, having good lyrics that 'roll' well (like some of eminem's raps), or just having a very catchy tune. dubstep just doesn't have any of it. I know I haven't listened to all of it and there's probably tons of songs you can come up with that you think will change my mind, but I don't WANT to know. dead dog for dinner, not sticking around for dessert... you know how it goes.

joonsk

Feb 26, 2011
I don't really know, I haven't listened to it all that much. I like electronic music sometimes (especially the Portal 2 Soundtrack). And What do poeple mean with wub? is that one of the sounds frequently used in dubstep?

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
I enjoy a good portion of it. Even Skrillex.

Some, however, does just sound like noise. It's not enough to just make wubs, you need rhythm, a decent ear, and some concept of how to compose.

More drumstep on this last one, but eh.

It's all down to preference. I also like metal, rock, classical, pop, country, industrial, electronica...etc.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I hate any kind of electronic music with few exceptions. Dubstep is the worst kind of electronic music there is. The Borderlands trailer with the dubstep soundtrack almost turned me off Borderlands 2 entirely.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
If you went back to, like, the early eighties, and asked them what music would sound like in the distant future if we were all cyborgs, they might have imagined something like dubstep.