Poll: East vs. West: RPGs

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
I find myself questioning myself. I've always loved RPGs and lately have just assumed I prefer western RPGs with thier better in-game graphics and more openess of game. Yet thinking more deeply about it, I've always been much more a fan of turn-base instead of action. Also JRPGs have some of the best stories ever imagined. Thought provoking.

I grew up with among the Shining/ Final Fantasy series and the Wizardry/ Might & Magic series and loved them all. Wizardry was probably my favorite series, but the things I remember so fondly of the series isn't what I prefer about western gaming, even RPGs. It was the turn-base, the story, the depth of the game. All things more apparent in JRPGs. But I am also much more of a computer gamer than a consoler, and the computer is where the western RPGs dominate. Eastern RPGs rule the consoles. Hmmm...

For those who need examples:

East: Final Fantasy, Xenogears, Shining Force, Chrono Trigger, Pokemon, Dragon Quest, Phantasy Star, Zelda, Ys, Breath of Fire

West: Elder Scrolls, Fable, Wizardry, Baldur's Gate, Might & Magic, Bard's Tale, Dungeon Seige, Ultima, World of Warcraft

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
New Troll said:
Fable, Dungeon Seige, World of Warcraft
NO! NO! NO!!!

Dungeon Siege is a hack and slash.

WoW is a MMO.

Fable is an action-RPG, doesn't count as other games. Elder Scrolls too, but it offers more customization.

No Neverwinter Nights makes me sick.

But I still vote for Western RPGs. RPGs, not action games with elements of RPG or MMO games where you have as much RPG as devil in the matchstick.*

*- Sorry, Polish saying. Devil is understood here as sulfur.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised if many people here were biased because of Yahtzee. Meh, I wouldn't ask that question here ;) But I'd have to stick with japanese RPGs, minus Final Fantasy. Tried a lot of them from the SNES times up until PS2, and only was able to enjoy FF12.

Archaeology Hat

Nov 6, 2007
Gladion said:
I wouldn't be surprised if many people here were biased because of Yahtzee. Meh, I wouldn't ask that question here ;) But I'd have to stick with japanese RPGs, minus Final Fantasy. Tried a lot of them from the SNES times up until PS2, and only was able to enjoy FF12.
I disliked JRPGs LOOONG before I found Yahtzee. The problem is basically... they're the same game over and over.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
Archaeology Hat said:
Gladion said:
I disliked JRPGs LOOONG before I found Yahtzee. The problem is basically... they're the same game over and over.
That's your opinion and that's fine. I never said this was the case for everyone, I just said that I wouldn't be surpries if that was the case for many people here...

DM.

Mar 27, 2009
JRPGS are usually either Spectacularly brilliant, or Spectacularly crappy.

Western ones are closer to the average.

Also +1 for being a PC gamer.

Jursa

Oct 11, 2008
Western RPG's have proven that they can be awesome, but they breed in miniature numbers, while JRPGs prosper in their lush Japanese fields.

Pumpkin_Eater

Mar 17, 2009
Western RPGs are on an upward trend right now, despite the garbage that is the Fable series, while JRPGs have been sliding for several years now. Gotta go with the one that's doing well in the present.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
West.
Western RPG's give you reasonable variety in player characters, ok a lot of short brown hair types but it's still more than JRPG's, which cannot seem to get beyond wittering teens.
I love Zelda games, but that's about it.

I get so sick of gender challenged insecure pretty boys who just happen to wield a 'secret power'. So you've got a penis and no-one can tell, big wup it's hardly a secret power worth writing home about...

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
I tend to go with JRPGs usally for a decent story and some fun/goofy charcters charcters,though I tend to go with Tales orinted fare. I'm not a hardcore JRPG fan but I can enjoy a good Final Fantasy, FF6 being my favorite of the series or any turn based style game.

Archaeology Hat

Nov 6, 2007
Its unfortunate that with the demise of Trokia (Black isle), the only big name stuido making actual RPG Western games is Bioware really, Bethsoft made some pretty awesome RPGs, but Oblivion was a big disapointment.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
ach, tough choice.... does Valkyria Chronicles count as an RPG? cause if it does, i'm going with JRPG's

EDIT: wait! Fallout 3! western RPG's, sorry VC

Tech Team FTW!

Apr 1, 2009
Gladion said:
Actually yahtzee seems to dislike both JRPGs and Western RPGs for different reasons. I would have cast my vote for "I like some of each" but that isn't an option so West it is *sigh*...

ShadowPen

Feb 25, 2009
I generally go for storyline.

So JRPGs.

Western RPGs go more for gameplay, and an open world. Not that these are bad things, but the end result is the story is generally weak. After all, if you allow the player to do whatever they want, they will, and if you have a complicated storyline, that screws everything up.

JRPGs are linear, but they are looooong and ultimately fulfilling.

Chrono Trigger is my favorite game of all time. It had amazing characters, an engaging story, and a new, interesting battle system (simple, yet fun).

Mass Effect (more a 3PS than an RPG, but people call it an RPG, so...) gives you a lot of choice, but the game itself is really short, probably so you can play it again as a complete dick, but really, very little changes. Also, with the good/evil decision, it doesn't seem to matter. Take Kotor or Fable. ou beat the game, and you get ANOTHER choice. Even if you were a genocidal maniac, you could pick the 'be a good guy' option and get the 'good guy' ending, just to completely mess with consistency. (sorry for the rant there)

Western RPGs aren't all bad. Shadow Madness had a pretty good story, and it was western. I want the whole experience, not the cliff notes!

Archaeology Hat

Nov 6, 2007
ShadowPen said:
I generally go for storyline.

So JRPGs.

Western RPGs go more for gameplay, and an open world. Not that these are bad things, but the end result is the story is generally weak.

JRPGs are linear, but they are looooong and ultimately fulfilling.
Baldur's Gate...
Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick obscura.
Fallout 1+2.

If you haven't played the Baldur's Gate saga through from Candlekeep to Throne of Bhaal you know nothing of Western RPG stories.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Abedeus said:
New Troll said:
Fable, Dungeon Seige, World of Warcraft
NO! NO! NO!!!

Dungeon Siege is a hack and slash.

WoW is a MMO.

Fable is an action-RPG, doesn't count as other games. Elder Scrolls too, but it offers more customization.

No Neverwinter Nights makes me sick.

But I still vote for Western RPGs. RPGs, not action games with elements of RPG or MMO games where you have as much RPG as devil in the matchstick.*

*- Sorry, Polish saying. Devil is understood here as sulfur.
WoW is an MMORPG
Fable is an Action RPG
Dungeon Siege is a Hack and Slash RPG

You can split hairs all you want, but don't expect everyone else to.

EDIT: In fact, all 3 of those involve all the things I expect to see in RPGs, particularly Western RPGs - creating a character, developing the character through use of experience points, and collect magical and mundane weapons and armor.

WTF do you consider an RPG, and what makes it an RPG?

Archaeology Hat

Nov 6, 2007
Altorin said:
WoW is an MMORPG
Fable is an Action RPG
Dungeon Siege is a Hack and Slash RPG

You can split hairs all you want, but don't expect everyone else to.
Dungeon Siege is RPG in name only, it bears much more similarity to the tactical strategy genre than it does the RPG genre.

Edit: How could I forget Planescape Torment...

SmilingKitsune

Dec 16, 2008
Western RPGs without a doubt, I just find them far more immersive which in my eyes is what an RPG is all about.