Poll: Elder Scrolls or Fallout?

Subversive71

Oct 17, 2010
My brother and I got into an argument about which series as a whole was better in terms of how much fun you've had as a player. I say Elder Scrolls and he says Fallout. Just wondering which was more popular over here at the Escapist.

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
Voted Fallout.

Fallout has better humor, atmospehere, and characters in my opinion.

I also prefer the combat system over the Elder Scrolls games. Fallout allows you play the way you want. Want to shoot people? Go ahead. Want to throw grenades at people? Nothings stopping you. Want to punch people in the face until they die? Go beserk!

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well, I can only take it from the one side: Fallout. I haven't played Oblivion, Skyrim, or any Elder Scrolls game. I'd be asking YOUR opinion on them if my girlfriend hadn't already.

But on my side, I should point out that Fallout's the ones with guns, bombs, and the VATS for called shots.

Andrewtheeviscerator

It's Leviosahhhhhhh
Feb 23, 2012
Idk I like both for different reasons. Despite being made by the same people and looking pretty similar they're pretty different games. The Elder Scrolls is good when I feel like being a hero in a medieval world, saving it from some great evil. Fallout for when I want to survive in a harsh nuclear wasteland where everyone and everything wants to kill me.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
-Elder Scrolls for the world/lore
-Fallout for the stories

w9496 said:
I also prefer the combat system over the Elder Scrolls games. Fallout allows you play the way you want. Want to shoot people? Go ahead. Want to throw grenades at people? Nothings stopping you. Want to punch people in the face until they die? Go beserk!
Skyrim does that also
-want to be a sneaky backstabber? do it
-want to be a one handed warrior? do it
-want to be a two handed beserker? do it
-want to pwn people from afar with bows? do it
-want to use magic to blast people to ash? do it

And it's "skills level as you use it" system allows you to progress in your method of death of choice without having to "level up" and put points into it only at specific times.

Though Fallout does have its own nice set of ways to kill people.

ClockworkUniverse

Nov 15, 2012
I personally enjoy TES more, but voted Fallout because it's much better-designed. TES combat is essentially a slap-fight.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
I like to base things on originality, and in a topic like this I'll be talking all about lore and mixing medias. So when it comes to Bethesdas two pride-and-joys, I'd go with Fallout all the way.

As much as I like Elder Scrolls, I still kinda see it as bit of a poor man's LotR. Now you can say that with Fallout comparing it to Mad Max, but Fallout done enough original things and taking the series in unique directions that it definitely qualifies as more. Even go so far as to say Fallout is better than Mad Max considering Mad Max never spawned its own in-depth universe from many talents.

It also has a lot to do with perspective I guess I'm sure others will argue based on theirs.

But anyways, there has been so many LotR knock offs and inspired works it's hard to count. Some doing way better job than I feel Elder Scrolls ever did like Warhammer. Still, I good franchise.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Fallout.

More interesting setting and aesthetic. Generic Fantasy 101 can't really compare to a post-nuclear 1950s retro futuristic America.

They're pretty much the same in every other aspect.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Fallout.

Fallout by Bethesda seems to be better designed in comparison to TES .

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
I'd probably say Fallout.
The Elder Scrolls does allow you to switch up combat a lot more than Fallout and it does have a nicer looking world but Fallout has a lot more memorable scenes and characters. Instead of a typical Elves and Dwarves fantasy realm you instead have a 1950's style apocalyptic world with Sci-Fi technology. Instead of magic and swords you have weapons that launch Teddy-Bears at terminal velocity and fire eight miniature nuclear warheads at once.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
I'd have to go with Fallout. Fallout is just more memorable to me, I love the setting, I love the characters you meet, the random things you can find out in the wastes, and so much more. The quests feel a lot more fun and the music is great.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
I've only played Fallout 3, which to me felt like a dirtier Oblivion with guns. So, being a fan of the latter, I enjoyed it.

But I'm gonna go with Elder Scrolls for this one. I like the world better, and I can just get lost in dat lore.

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
w9496 said:
Voted Fallout.

Fallout has better humor, atmospehere, and characters in my opinion.

Excuse me sir the king of Sweden would like a word...

cookie for the reference.

Fallout hands down, considering Skyrim is the only Elder Scrolls game I played.

Ccx55

Dec 6, 2011
Honestly, I think TES is much more replayable than Fallout. I always end up playing 1 or 2 characters in any Fallout game and they're generally very similar. In TES, every play-style feels refreshingly different.

However, as a first playthrough, I much more prefer Fallout. The combat is just endlessly fun.