Poll: Elizabeth or Alyx Vance?

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
So did Elizabeth steal Alyx Vance's position as best npc sidekick? As enjoyable as Elizabeth was, I still have to give it to Alyx.

Legendairy314

Aug 26, 2010
Alyx is awesome. Elizabeth is complex. As cool as Alyx is to have palling around I prefer a dynamic that can be shared by two people who talk instead of one. Elizabeth for me.

R.Nevermore

Mar 28, 2008
I find Elizabeth as a more interesting character. I think Alyx was best up until that, but she was very much a simple female warrior character. I found Elizabeth to be a strong feminine character, without adopting numerous masculine traits to strengthen her.

romxxii

Feb 18, 2010
If you've finished Infinite, then you know Elizabeth wins this hands-down.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
I'll choose Alyx.

If only for the sheer fact that it took a decade for the industry to finally present a character which can rival her. :p

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Elizabeth.

I like Alyx, but I don't think she should be held in particularly high regard.

She's a likeable character with a personality, coherent motivations, a sense of humour, well written dialogue and good voice acting. And of course she's female without being ridiculously oversexualised for the sake of pandering.

Now, see, that shouldn't be an outstanding exception. That should be the bare fucking minimum.

The fact that Alyx Vance is hailed as a great character just goes to show how damn low the standards are and how far developer have yet to go in terms of character.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
Ultratwinkie said:
Zhukov said:
Elizabeth.

She's a likeable character with a personality, coherent motivations, a sense of humour, well written dialogue and good voice acting. And of course she's female without being ridiculously oversexualised for the sake of pandering.

Now, see, that shouldn't be an outstanding exception. That should be the bare fucking minimum.

The fact that Alyx Vance is hailed as a great character just goes to show how damn low the standards are and how far developer have yet to go in terms of character.
And how is Alyx not Elizabeth? Its the same damn thing. In fact elizabeth does some things worse than Alyx.

If anything, Elizabeth was a carbon copy of Disney princesses. Locked away in a tower? Guarded by a "dragon" (songbird)? Waiting for a man to come save her from the prison and the monster? Runs and hides when combat starts and can't really defend herself? If the man isn't around to help her, she is doomed like the game tells you she is?

I saw Elizabeth to be no different. I found her cliche. Done before.

Opposed to Alyx, who handles herself with and without Gordon Freeman? And has done so way before she met Gordon freeman? She stayed consistent, and valve spent months on her to keep it that way. I found liz to jump around from point to point.
massive bioshock infinite endgame spoilers
It doesn't count as rescuing th Princess from the tower when you are the asshole who sold her ti he captor in the first place

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Oh brother. I really had hoped it wouldn't come to this. Why do I get the feeling that this will turn into a pissing contest among feminists.

And on what grounds are you gonna campare them? Personality? How can you measure personality? With the amount of lines given to the character? Will we compare their fashion sense to decide which one is more slutty? OHHH I know lets see who can throw the medkits farthest because that is the quintessential role of a supporting character.

Seriously OP. Whar were you thinking?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
Zhukov said:
Elizabeth.

And how is Alyx not Elizabeth? Its the same damn thing. In fact elizabeth does some things worse than Alyx.

If anything, Elizabeth was a carbon copy of Disney princesses. Locked away in a tower? Guarded by a "dragon" (songbird)? Waiting for a man to come save her from the prison and the monster? Runs and hides when combat starts and can't really defend herself? If the man isn't around to help her, she is doomed like the game tells you she is?

I saw Elizabeth to be no different. I found her cliche. Done before.

Opposed to Alyx, who handles herself with and without Gordon Freeman? And has done so way before she met Gordon freeman? She stayed consistent, and valve spent months on her to keep it that way. I found liz to jump around from point to point.
I was judging them on which I found to be the more compelling character, not which is the biggest badass or best example of a Strong Independent Female.

Although...

... given that by the end of the game Elizabeth is able to summon cyclones and warp time and space on a whim, I'm pretty sure she wins the badass stakes as well.

Elizabeth is a barely more than a kid and has had a sheltered life. I don't consider the fact that she is unable or unwilling to kill dozens of people to be a strike against her.

I found Elizabeth's character arc more interesting and, dare I say it, deep. Going from naiveté, optimism and a simple desire to escape and see the world, to a quest for the truth her own identity and eventual transcendence. Her arc is mirrored by the way her relationship with Booker develops. To begin with she wants to make him out as a heroic rescuer, and shrugs of his denials that he's anything of the kind. Then she realises he's almost as bad as he thinks he is. Over time she come to respect him and, eventually to simply understand him.

Alyx on the other hand is a simple and very static character. She doesn't really have a character arc. Although that may change given the events at the end of HL2Ep2, y'know, if they ever make another one before we all die of old age.

Lastly, I am aware you do not have a high opinion of Bioshock Infinite. Now kindly go and grind your axe in somebody else's face.

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
Elizabeth's story was more interesting, even if it was somewhat fairy tail (TBH, mostly reminded me of Rapunzel/Tangled). Hell, I'd say how it showed her development from that 'naive princess in the tower' to the later stages to be damn well awesome. I was impressed that she (her model) was wounded through the game, and wasn't just all static the whole game. I liked Alyx, but she seemed a little fangirlish on Freeman, she was useful and all, but yeah never really seemed to get the same level of emotion out of - less polygons I guess.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Elizabeth for me I dont particularly hold Alyx in high regard she wasnt bad but I found her very forgettable.