Poll: Escapist book thread!

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
I don't seldom read books. I've had an on/off book for the last year or so, which I'm not that far into.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Bara_no_Hime said:
What book: Sailor Moon vol 2
About: A teenaged girl named Usagi who learns that she is the reincarnation of the daughter of Selene (the Greek goddess of the moon) and that she is tasked with defeating the ancient evil that destroyed all life on the moon (which was once a verdant paradise) and has returned to do the same to earth.
Enjoying: Yes. The new translation is far better than the old one, and fills in a number of plot holes I remember from my previous read. Great job Kodansha Comics!
Oh thank god, cause I just bought the first one this weekend and wasn't sure what I getting myself into translation and cannon wise. All I've seen is the cartoon and jesus that's almost another entire show! D:

What Book: Soul Drinkers series

About: The Soul Drinker Space Marine chapter pretty much tell's the Imperium of Man to "fuck off" after the theft of one of their icons and set out to forge their own fate. They haven't turned to Chaos but they aren't working for the Imperium anymore.

Enjoying: So far yes. I've just started on the first story and after a little bit of reading it starts to pick up. Gotta love Space Marines having a bloody old school navel battle with zombies in a giant zombie shark out at sea.

irishmanwithagun

Mar 6, 2012
Uhhh... These threads always make me depressed because up until I got my laptop last Christmas I was an incredibly avid reader and would read over a hundred pages an hour, non-stop with several books in case I got bored. But now I am technically reading like thirty books because I leave so many unfinished.
But, for the sake of convenience, I'll pick my latest book...
Book: Quicksilver: The Baroque Cycle
About: The swashbuckling adventures of an 18th Century team of... adventurers, I guess. Best I can say is it's by Neal Stephenson.
Enjoying: Fuck yeah!

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
dalek sec said:
Oh thank god, cause I just bought the first one this weekend and wasn't sure what I getting myself into translation and cannon wise. All I've seen is the cartoon and jesus that's almost another entire show! D:
The only complaint I've heard about the new translation is that it is, at times, too literal (causing some jokes to require translation explanations in the back of the book). I don't mind that though - I'd rather have the cultural information anyway.

But yeah, if you've only see the DiC dub of Sailor Moon or read the Mixx-Magazine translation of the Sailor Moon manga from the late 90s, then this is a whole different thing.

If you've seen the uncut subtitled Sailor Moon release, then you have a better idea of what you're getting in to (although only somewhat - Ikuhara-sama changed a lot in the anime).

Also, if you've picked up vol 1 (the first 5 or 6 are out) you might want to consider the two volume Sailor V series that serves as the prequel. In some ways, the Sailor V manga is more like the Sailor Moon anime than the Sailor Moon manga is (Sailor V manga features a lot of "enemies of the week" with wacky plans to collect energy - much as the anime does and which the manga rarely has after vol 1).

Anywho, happy reading!

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Most Recent?

What Book:Doctor Who: SHADA
What About:: Sphere steals your brain, evil Spock like guy, stuff, a book...
Enjoying?The original manuscript was by Douglas Adams himself. So, what do you think? Is it possible to not enjoy his stuff?

dalek sec said:

What Book: Soul Drinkers series

About: The Soul Drinker Space Marine chapter pretty much tell's the Imperium of Man to "fuck off" after the theft of one of their icons and set out to forge their own fate. They haven't turned to Chaos but they aren't working for the Imperium anymore.

Enjoying: So far yes. I've just started on the first story and after a little bit of reading it starts to pick up. Gotta love Space Marines having a bloody old school navel battle with zombies in a giant zombie shark out at sea.
Well, their commander is a Daemon (Possessed, but who cares?), and they ally with chaos...

Still, kick ass novels.

Trololo Punk

May 14, 2011
What Book: Horus Rising: the seeds of Heresy are sown

About: The beginning of the galaxy wide civil war that takes place 10,000 years before the 40K setting. Basically, it sets up the rise of Warmaster Horus and his Space Marine legion The Luna Wolves.

Enjoying: Great so far. Dan Abnett is one of my favorite authors as well.

Solid Reece

Nov 19, 2010
What Book:Sword Art Online Series. By Reki Kawahara. Just started book 1, two days ago.
About:This discription Is from wikipidia. If I explain it, it's just sound like crap.
In the year 2022, the Virtual reality Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (VRMMORPG) Sword Art Online (SAO) is released. With the Nerve Gear, a VR Helmet that stimulates the user's five senses via their brain, players can experience and control their in-game characters with their minds. But an unexpected event occurs on November 6, 2022 when Akihiko Kayaba, the creator of SAO, prevents the players from logging out. Akihiko issues them a challenge; if they wish to be free and log out of the game, they must reach the 100th floor of the game's tower and defeat the final boss. However, if their avatars die in the game, so will their bodies in the real world. As the game's 10,000 players try to accept their new deadly predicament, Kirito, a skilled player who tested the beta version of the game, is determined to reach the 100th floor and be free. Along with Asuna, his partner and love interest, and their friends, Kirito and his allies will face many obstacles, participate in other VRMMO games, and discover the true purpose of SAO.
Enjoying:Only A third of the way though. Can't put it down.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Baldry said:
My only qualm with it is the obsessive use of the word Godlike, I swear Homer describes the same guy as Godlike at least once every page.
Could that not be due to the translation? My limited experience with Greek epics tends to be that it doesn't map very well to English.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
I used to read books for fun all the time when I was younger. Kind of stopped reading much until recently when I started reading Game of Thrones about 2 months ago.

I do enough reading already through games, the internet, and university textbooks that reading for fun hasn't really been a high priority, but I'm really enjoying the Game of Thrones book so far and will probably get and read the rest of the series once I finish this one

wottabout

May 4, 2011
Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
About: Sunshine and rainbows
Enjoying: Very much! Unfortunately, since I am using a free audiobook read by volunteers [http://librivox.org/the-count-of-monte-cristo-by-alexandre-dumas/], the quality of the narration is... variable, but the story itself is awesome!

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Tharwen said:
Baldry said:
My only qualm with it is the obsessive use of the word Godlike, I swear Homer describes the same guy as Godlike at least once every page.
Could that not be due to the translation? My limited experience with Greek epics tends to be that it doesn't map very well to English.
Even so the introduction from the chap who translated it even said they actually took out some of the adjectives used and even changed some just so it didn't seem to repetitive. Anyway I'm guessing one of the reasons it's like this is a lack of other words to explain certain characters were Godlike and the fact the Odyssey is meant to be performed orally so maybe it's not as annoying when spoken.

Jolly Co-operator

A Heavy Sword
Mar 10, 2012
What Book: Wolves of the Calla, by Stephen King

About: It's the 5th in the series, so it might be kind of hard to sum up in a way that makes sense. Our protagonists protecting a town, I guess. (There's a lot more to it than that, but I want to avoid anything that might be a spoiler. Seriously, read this series, I'm sorry I didn't sooner)

Enjoying: Very much so, yes. Up until this point, the spot of my favorite book in the series was tied between the 3rd and the 4th. I don't think this one is quite a contender, but it's damn close, say thankya.

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
What Book:The Somnabulist
About: A satire of victorian thrillers.
Enjoying: Yeah, I like it.

n00beffect

May 8, 2009
What Book: The Director and The Stage
About: One of the most revolutionary techniques developed for the theatrical stage, by many of the iconic theatre personae over the centuries.
Enjoying: So and so. At times it's a bit dry and academic (which to the actor is like salt water to a fresh-water fish). But overall I enjoy reading about the people who made my art and trade what it is today.

kickassfrog

Jan 17, 2011
What book: Orphaned worlds, Red Mars, The complete stories of Sherlock Holmes, Good Omens, Storm Front, Excession
About: Aliens trying to take control of planet inhabited by humans, Human colonisation of mars, Sherlock Holmes, an angel and a demon working together to try and stop the apocalypse because they enjoy earth, a wizard investigating a murder, and I can't remember.
Enjoying: Not bad, a bit slow, fun but I never get round to reading more these days, pretty good, and not particularly, but I imagine it'll pick up later on.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
I read daily, mostly non-fiction, but I'll dip into quirky novels from time to time. ATM I'm reading The Greater Journey [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JXXL0U/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title] by David McCullough. It's about American artists, doctors, et al in Paris from 1830-1900, living there thru the Civil War and France's invasion by Germany.

Notable Americans include Harriet Beecher-Stowe, Mark Twain and Samuel Morse.

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
what book: dragonsong
about: a young girl, living in a sea hold, is not allowed to write and poform music because it is considered a man profestion
enjoying: its pretty good, i like the first two pern books but this one lacks any real scale and so far hasnt really gone any where, it would be okay but in the last book there was a politcal fude detween the dragon riders and descovery about pern history so this one feel like a step down but im not finished yet and the main character is intresting

Benni88

Oct 13, 2011
What book: - America Pacifica - Anna North

About: A future in which the Earth has entered an Ice Age and humanity is scattered. The book follows Darcy, an 18 year old girl who lives on America Pacifica, an Island built from landfill debris around a small volcano, is trying to find her missing mother. The Island is rife with social inequality.

Enjoying: Meh. I find the author a bit rambling. I'm more interested in descriptions of the city and the environment in which the characters live rather than the introspection of an 18 year old girl. I'll finish it, as I generally try to do when I pick up a book, but I'm not finding it particularly engaging.

Benni88

Oct 13, 2011
kickassfrog said:
What book: Orphaned worlds, Red Mars, The complete stories of Sherlock Holmes, Good Omens, Storm Front, Excession
About: Aliens trying to take control of planet inhabited by humans, Human colonisation of mars, Sherlock Holmes, an angel and a demon working together to try and stop the apocalypse because they enjoy earth, a wizard investigating a murder, and I can't remember.
Enjoying: Not bad, a bit slow, fun but I never get round to reading more these days, pretty good, and not particularly, but I imagine it'll pick up later on.
I don't know if you've read any other Iain M. Banks books but I read excession recently and really enjoyed it. I've found "The Culture" novels get better the more of them you read.

purplecactus

Jun 25, 2012
Heh, this is where things get a little tangled because I usually tend to read more than one book at once.

First up:
What book - A Dance With Dragons: Dreams and Dust by George R. R. Martin
About - I'm not sure how much I can say without going all spoilery...
Enjoying - Yep. It's been a while since I read A Feast For Crows, and I was worried about forgetting some of the major parts, but it's coming back to me as I read. It's a pretty easy book to get back into.

And next:
What book - Nocturne by James Attlee
About - The moon. Everything about the moon, world cultures, music, historical importance, all that kinda thing.
Enjoying - Very much so. I'm kinda fixated on the moon myself, and reading about it in so many different ways is fascinating.

And finally:
What book - The Age of Misrule (which is actually three books, but hey, the copy I have is all in one volume) by Mark Chadbourn
About - Mythology and demons and five people who not only have to deal with the world changing around them, but they have to save it. As you do.
Enjoying - Every single time I read it, I lose myself in it. Some of it has to do with where I was the first time I read it, but it's a great story and it's well written.