Poll: Escapist Game of the Year

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Well I've played none of these for one reason or another, so I'm going with none.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
trunkage said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
Gethsemani said:
Player Unknowns Battlegrounds. Fite me.
Player Unknowns Battlegrounds isn't even the best SHOOTER of the year much less game.

It's a multiplayer shooter that promotes cowardice and passivity where the best way to win is the sit back and not engage. It's corner camping the game.
So a COD or Battlefield clone
Not really.

You win at PUBG by being the last one alive. This incentivizes you to completely avoid people for the entire game, let everyone else fight it out, and swoop in to get the last kill (or preferably find the last piece of cover within the last field of battle, sit behind it and really hope the enemy walks by you so you can shoot them in the back).

You win at COD or Battlefield by having the most kills, which means that you have to actively engage in combat.

Basically if you're corner camping in cod or battlefield and enemies aren't coming to fight you it's the worst thing ever because there's no way for you to win without kills. If you're sitting in a building in PUBG and enemies aren't coming to fight you it's the best thing ever because the fewer fights you're in the greater the chance of you winning.

That's why PUBG's game design is shitty.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Ezekiel said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
trunkage said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
Gethsemani said:
Player Unknowns Battlegrounds. Fite me.
Player Unknowns Battlegrounds isn't even the best SHOOTER of the year much less game.

It's a multiplayer shooter that promotes cowardice and passivity where the best way to win is the sit back and not engage. It's corner camping the game.
So a COD or Battlefield clone
Not really.

You win at PUBG by being the last one alive. This incentivizes you to completely avoid people for the entire game, let everyone else fight it out, and swoop in to get the last kill (or preferably find the last piece of cover within the last field of battle, sit behind it and really hope the enemy walks by you so you can shoot them in the back).

You win at COD or Battlefield by having the most kills, which means that you have to actively engage in combat.

Basically if you're corner camping in cod or battlefield and enemies aren't coming to fight you it's the worst thing ever because there's no way for you to win without kills. If you're sitting in a building in PUBG and enemies aren't coming to fight you it's the best thing ever because the fewer fights you're in the greater the chance of you winning.

That's why PUBG's game design is shitty.
In Battle Royale and The Hunger Games, the players are forced to move to different areas every few hours and the battlefield becomes progressively smaller. Does this game have anything like that?
It does. The map gets smaller over time, which does force you into combat, however it doesn't promote and incentivize said combat. You're incentivized not to engage, and most of your deaths will be by snipers you never saw, you very rarely actually fight face to face.

I'd say the breakdown of the game goes something like this:

40% sitting in empty buildings waiting to find out where the safe zone is.
50% running/driving to the safe zone (and really hoping a sniper you can't see doesn't blow your head off in one shot)
8% looking at enemies through your scope (but not engaging because you don't want them to shoot back, and your optics are probably too shitty to properly engage at range anyway)
2% actually shooting at people

The easiest way to win the game is to correctly predict where the safe zone is going to be and then sitting in a corner of a house in the safe zone for 15 minutes until the enemies are forced to come to you as the death wall closes in around the safe zone.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that the shittier you make the game look the easier it is to play. Reducing all the graphical options to their minimum removes most of the foliage in the game making it much easier to spot and shoot people who are hiding. So the optimal way to play this game is to make it look as shitty as possible (and it's not exactly a looker to begin with).

Go a little over 8 minutes in for the truest test of skill you've ever seen.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
I'm gonna take a different approach and go with Star Wars Battlefront 2.

Hear me out here: while many, MANY games have been better this year I don't think any will have as far reaching consequences as BF2 which brought the issue of microtransactions right to the forefront. At the very least it's set them back significantly but it may even go beyond that; triggering intervention from governments around the world concerned about their impact. Maybe one country declares them gambling and begins regulating them accordingly. Then another, then another, potentially snowballing into a scenario that effectively forces that shit back out of paid games. The game itself and EA both deserve all the shit they're getting but the overall impact of this game on the industry as a whole may prove to be positive beyond what any other game this year achieves.

Also I'm too broke to buy new releases so I haven't played any of the top contenders other people are saying.

Bealzibob

Jul 4, 2009
The answer is Hollow Knight. How this game isn't on the list when all that other shit is on there baffles me. Botw is my obligatory vote from the list.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Blood Brain Barrier said:
Ridiculous poll. None of the games on the list would end up in my top 10.

Why not include the good ones?
"If your favorite game did not make the list, do not fret. It just wasn't good enough."

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Vote goes to Persona 5, great game.
TheVampwizimp said:
I guess it's time for me to turn in my gamer card.
Wait for the you're-not-a-gamer-if-you-don't-mod dude to show up.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I don't know. I haven't really played anything that was released this year except for Sonic Mania. I refuse to pay $80 (CAN) for a game. Also I'm unemployed.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
On that list, Resident Evil 7 takes the cake. Horrah, Horray, finally at long last an actual horror game worthy of being called survival horror. What an atmosphere. What a game. Bravo, Resi 7 for successfully creeping me the fuck out.

Not on the list: Final Fantasy XIV Stormblood. Holy cow what an expansion. What a fantastic story, and it's not even over yet, there is still more to come. Omega Savage is amazing,it's challenging, it's fun. The new areas look amazing. Though I don't agree entirely with all the job changes, I think what they've done overall is great.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
It's been a fairly poor year for games and nothing on that list has come even close to exciting me. It's a shame red dead got pushed back but nevermind, there is a good chance i know what next years best game will be :p

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
Full disclosure: I think the newest game I've played is Elite Dangerous. I didn't even know half these games existed. At first I thought it was because I'm a cheap ass who doesn't like paying full price for games, then I realized that it's really because no one is making games I want to play.

Except Divinity: Original Sin 2. I definitely want to play that.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
Where's the "Other" option?
Is this for console games only?

Add another vote for Divinity: Original Sin 2 here.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Despite having some flaws, I still think BotW was the best game this year. It's design will have an impact on many future games.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Ezekiel said:
Canadamus Prime said:
I don't know. I haven't really played anything that was released this year except for Sonic Mania. I refuse to pay $80 (CAN) for a game. Also I'm unemployed.
I'm gonna start working again tomorrow for the first time since July of last year. I was already frugal before, but after worrying about money for so long I'm gonna be even more of a cheapskate. Even though I'm gonna be making way more than I spend on rent and food.
Even when I had a job and could afford it, I still wasn't going to pay $80 (CAN) for a game. Fuck that.