Poll: Escapist Game of the Year

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Blood Brain Barrier said:
Tayh said:
Where's the "Other" option?
Is this for console games only?
Most of the time I come here I think this whole forum is for console games only.
Odd, it always seemed to me that many or even most of us are primarily PC gamers, albeit possibly with console gaming on the side.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
It amazes me how many of you guys come into threads like this, on a gaming forum, and say shit like, "This year was shit, nothing at all good came out this year at all." Or, "That list sucks, obviously GOTY is 'Random obscure game 247'".

If you seriously think that 2017 was a shit year for video games, you obviously don't like video games. If your game GOTY isn't on the list, offer it up, otherwise just let people talk about the games they enjoyed this year instead of trying to derail or ruin a thread with pointless troll postings.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
CritialGaming said:
It amazes me how many of you guys come into threads like this, on a gaming forum, and say shit like, "This year was shit, nothing at all good came out this year at all." Or, "That list sucks, obviously GOTY is 'Random obscure game 247'".

If you seriously think that 2017 was a shit year for video games, you obviously don't like video games. If your game GOTY isn't on the list, offer it up, otherwise just let people talk about the games they enjoyed this year instead of trying to derail or ruin a thread with pointless troll postings.
2017 wasn't a shit year for videogames, just the ones in the OP's list.

Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2 were both much better than Zelda for starters.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
pearcinator said:
Despite having some flaws, I still think BotW was the best game this year. It's design will have an impact on many future games.
meh. Zelda's world is just a Xenoblade style world. the Xenoblade devs made botw after all.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Yoshi178 said:
CritialGaming said:

2017 wasn't a shit year for videogames, just the ones in the OP's list.

Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2 were both much better than Zelda for starters.
So why not say that in your first post? Instead of "definitely nothing on that terrible list."

You could have offered up your favorite games of the year instead of just bashing the games that the Op liked. You had a chance to offer up some conversation, instead you chose to make a dick comment.

Good for you.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Fuck, this is harder for me to decide than I thought.

BotW is pretty good, and Cuphead was a goddamn delight. The problem is that a lot of those games are games that fall under the category of "games I WANT to play, but haven't because I'm not made of money." Neir and Resident Evil 7 fall under those categories. I bought Horizon on the Black Friday Sale, but I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet. Also people have also brought up Divinity 2 and PUBG, two games I ALSO want to play. Hell, there are games that havne't been mentioned in this thread that I'd also want to mention, like Yakuza 0 (Haven't played), Mario Odyssey (Played) and Halo Wars 2 (Haven't played and probably gonna be the last Halo game to grab my attention baring 343 getting its shit together,) Oh, and I guess Nioh. I mean, It doesn't look bad, but it does kinda scream "Dark Souls clone" and I've already got a good Dark Souls clone, it's called Bloodborne.

But I can't vote for games I haven't played. So I'll have to go for a game that utterly blew my freaking mind as well as a game that brought back comforting memories of how earlier entries in the series helped me get through college when I played them for the first time.

Persona 5.

Though I want to give honorable mentions to Hand of Fate 2 and Endless Space 2 two freaking great under the radar games.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
erttheking said:

BotW is pretty good, and Cuphead was a goddamn delight. The problem is that a lot of those games are games that fall under the category of "games I WANT to play, but haven't because I'm not made of money." Neir and Resident Evil 7 fall under those categories. I bought Horizon on the Black Friday Sale, but I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet. Also people have also brought up Divinity 2 and PUBG, two games I ALSO want to play. But I can't vote for games I haven't played. So I'll have to go for a game that utterly blew my freaking mind as well as a game that brought back comforting memories of how earlier entries in the series helped me get through college when I played them for the first time.

Persona 5.

Though I want to give honorable mentions to Hand of Fate 2 and Endless Space 2 two freaking great under the radar games.
I'm surprised to see how many people are voting for Persona 5 now. I mean the first few threads on this I saw where much more leaning on Horizon. I wonder what caused the shift? More people finishing Persona maybe?

Not that I don't think Persona deserves a GOTY nod, because it absolutely does.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
CritialGaming said:
erttheking said:

BotW is pretty good, and Cuphead was a goddamn delight. The problem is that a lot of those games are games that fall under the category of "games I WANT to play, but haven't because I'm not made of money." Neir and Resident Evil 7 fall under those categories. I bought Horizon on the Black Friday Sale, but I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet. Also people have also brought up Divinity 2 and PUBG, two games I ALSO want to play. But I can't vote for games I haven't played. So I'll have to go for a game that utterly blew my freaking mind as well as a game that brought back comforting memories of how earlier entries in the series helped me get through college when I played them for the first time.

Persona 5.

I'm surprised to see how many people are voting for Persona 5 now. I mean the first few threads on this I saw where much more leaning on Horizon. I wonder what caused the shift? More people finishing Persona maybe?

Not that I don't think Persona deserves a GOTY nod, because it absolutely does.
Dunno. Like I said, I haven't played Horizon yet. I downloaded it a couple of days ago but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

Persona being a franchise might be a factor, it had a pre-existing fanbase to play off of.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Tayh said:
Most of the time I come here I think this whole forum is for console games only.
Over half of the games on the list are PC games. The only exclusives were Horizon, Zelda, and Persona, and they're all considered some of the best releases of the year.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Fox12 said:
Tayh said:
Over half of the games on the list are PC games. The only exclusives were Horizon, Zelda, and Persona, and they're all considered some of the best releases of the year.
Where are the PC exclusives and point and click games, text adventures?

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Chimpzy said:
Tayh said:
Odd, it always seemed to me that many or even most of us are primarily PC gamers, albeit possibly with console gaming on the side.
Well they sure play a lot of twitch/action/fighting games for PC gamers.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Chimpzy said:
Tayh said:
Well they sure play a lot of twitch/action/fighting games for PC gamers.
I mean.... A Hat in Time looked neat....

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Fox12 said:
Tayh said:
Of course we play those, problem is a shitload of PC exclusives are ending up in early access hell, where they aren't out, so they don't really qualify for game of the year, but then when they do get a final release no one really cares because they've already been playing them for months/years.

And point and click and text adventures are never going to be game of the year, what are you smoking?

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Dirty Hipsters said:
Fox12 said:
Tayh said:
Of course we play those, problem is a shitload of PC exclusives are ending up in early access hell, where they aren't out, so they don't really qualify for game of the year, but then when they do get a final release no one really cares because they've already been playing them for months/years.

And point and click and text adventures are never going to be game of the year, what are you smoking?
Obviously something better than you are. They are better games than the poorly written action-fests in the poll.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Dirty Hipsters said:
Fox12 said:
Tayh said:

Obviously something better than you are. They are better games than the poorly written action-fests in the poll.
You can keep complaining about the poll or you can offer up some suggestions.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Dirty Hipsters said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
Fox12 said:
Tayh said:

You can keep complaining about the poll or you can offer up some suggestions.
Xenoblade 2.
Metroid: Samus Returns
Super Mario Odyssey.
Splatoon 2
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

all of these are better than Zelda.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
On the list, Resident Evil 7, I really really like it.

Not on the list, Pre-

B-Cell said:
Prey easily.

Its a great game but if combat and enemy design was better. it could have been much better. but still best game released this year.
Oh, sh*t, I agree with B-Cell, my entire reputation is ruined now.

Eh, I mostly agree, I'm treating this as my personal favorites.
Is it the best this year, probably not but it and RE7 are definitely sticking with me more than the others.