Poll: Escapists and World of Warcraft

Levitas1234

Oct 28, 2009
People need to realize you save money with wow because it will be the only game you buy lol!

Rather than buying a $60 game and beating it every month you can just play wow and only pay $15 per month. I stopped playing wow because my 80 spriest was hacked and i don't want to re level my priest and get all my gear because i play on an elitist server and don't need the stress of being called a noob and getting kicked out of partys because i am not in all epics. (most the people that kick are noobs with one 80 and crappy token gear which makes me want to kill something when i get kicked from a raid on an 80 alt) i have an 80 shaman but shamans are so boring compared to the complexity of a shadow priest.

urglen

Nov 23, 2009
None of the options really apply to me I played it for a couple years and raided at 80 for a few months then quit before Ulduar released, enjoyed the experience but felt like it was time to move on.

Alarien

Feb 9, 2010
I played it for about 2 years total. I took a break of about 4 months a few months after it opened, came back through Burning Crusade, got to 70 and called it quits.

Stormreaver/Horde

As an old school EQ player, I think WoW ruined the genre, generally. The old MMO community that existed from UO, EQ, and then DAOC was inundated by 10 million new players, the VAST majority of whom were immature or short attention span theater. Don't get me wrong, the old MMO community was primarily some of the meanest, greediest people around, but to a large extent, they were also more mature (relative...) and, by far, they were easier to have a discussion with.

I have to say that a couple things about WoW I absolutely hated. The first was the "go fetch" quest system that it really brought into it's own. Old school quests were a lot more obnoxious, longer, required more camping and were generally goofy, but I at least felt like I was free to camp, explore, or just do whatever I chose. WoW created a grindfest that truly felt like a treadmill of completing quests in x zone, then quests in y zone in order to level. It absolutely REQUIRED this sort of gameplay in Burning Crusade.

It's funny that most games now claim that they have done away with this style of quest system. Bioware in particular claims that it no longer exists in The Old Republic. We'll see.

It was my fault for agreeing with my guild to go to a PVP server, which was a complete idiot-fest, so I won't bring that up. That's not the game's fault.

I hate the loot/gear system in WoW. One of things I really liked about EQ was that gear initially was VERY rare and VERY valuable. It was also pretty distinctive, even if it was just a palette swap. People looked absurdly colorblind due to the mishmash of colors they wore, but you wore what was good, you wore what you got, and you mixed to get the stats you want. For the most part, everyone in WoW looks the same for each class as they raid to get the same damned gear.

I hate the fact that WoW's dungeon and raid encounters are not really skill based so much as gimmick based. In EQ, it was a matter of getting a large number of people to simply play their class well in a raid encounter. "This is your job, don't screw it up." Bosses were easier from a strategy standpoint in EQ, but things went wrong a lot faster. One bad aggro from a rogue could end an encounter. In WoW, it's more about 10 people inserting tab A into slot B at 41 seconds, and then another 10 people running 50 feet to their left at 50 seconds and then all standing still for the next 30 seconds. It's realy just a matter of getting 24-40 goobers to all follow the same script correctly, which simply isn't fun to lead... or to follow for that matter. Killing in WoW felt more like "wow, I'm glad we're done that encounter" rather than the "zomg we killed it" rush that I often got in EQ.

There is no FEAR in WoW. I presume UO had fear due to the harsh PK penalties. I know EQ had fear due to the harsh corpse recovery. Yes, late night CR's sucked the ass. They also made you respect the encounter and dungeons a hell of a lot more.

And WoW made one absolute cardinal, mortal, they should all die in a fire sin: they pressed the reset button on raid progression with Burning Crusade. All the work you did and all the accomplishment you got from clearing Molten Core, Blackwing Lair, Ahn'Qiraj, Naxxramas just got shot to hell by getting your first piece of green piece of armor that is better than that epic drop you were wearing after weeks of clearing raid dungeons. That's just called kicking your raid-centric players in the teeth. It's ok to create regular casual/dungeon drops that are better than raid gear from a couple years/expansions back, but not from stuff you just implemented in the game less than a year before.

Anyway, WoW had promise. It obviously appeals to a lot of people still. That's all well and good. I enjoyed the old days a lot more. I'm looking forward to seeing if The Old Republic can bridge the gap of rewarding both casual players and hardcore players without crapping all over one or the other, or both.

Karlaxx

Oct 26, 2009
Blizzard used to own my soul, but now I mostly just get on for the busiest nights or when my friends are doing something cool.

ThePlasmatizer

Sep 2, 2008
I know I'm a geeky gamer but there's a line I promised myself I wouldn't cross and on the other side of it is things like Star Trek, WoW and Cosplay.

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
I played for about 3 or 4 years, on and off. First I had a Paladin that I got to level 56 in vanilla WoW. But that was back when Paladins were boring and useless. No one wanted them in groups. They released the patch while I was still playing but by that time it was too late; I was so burnt out from playing him I only played about a month after patch 1.11 was released.

I came back before BC got released, making a Dwarf Rogue. He was called Gheed and it was fun as hell. Even as a low level, I could sneak around pvp areas and kill horde. I quit after a while because I was a bit bored with it.

Then I met a pretty cool friend of mine that played WoW. This was after BC was released. I quickly got back into the game. However, his server was a PVE server. I transfered, but it was so boring. So very very boring. I quit soon after. I came back when WOTLK was released and had to transfer again since my friend had transfered. This time, my name was taken. I chose a new name:
Sturmdolch
That name stuck with me for every other game since, replacing the previous "Greedo" moniker I used everywhere. I hit 80 and enjoyed the way to it. But after hitting 80... There was nothing left. Nothing. Just grind for gear, grind for money, grind for rep, grind grind... Without experience points, I wasn't about to go play through the missions again. I had hit the end. I was done. I gave all 400 of my gold to my friend and called it quits.

A few months later, I needed my MMORPG fix again. I looked around my room and noticed a glow coming from the closet. It was Lord of the Rings Online. I hadn't picked it up since I cancelled it a month after its release; I had been part of the beta and had great fun but my life was busy so I had to cancel.

That feeling of excitement came back. I reread all the LOTR books. I installed the game, and was wowed by everything that was better than WoW. It was an amazing game. I met a great community, and the game even managed to make me RP. A bit at first, but soon I forgot about levelling and just RPed with the Redwolds.

Real life caught up again. University. Now I don't have time for MMORPGs. I'd love to play, but there's just no time. If I did, I would play LOTRO. It's just better than WoW. Similar, but better.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
I used to play wow. got to level 78 too.

Although it felt more and more unsatisfying as my musical interests started kicking in, so I canceled my account

Welcome to the escapist btw

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
zala-taichou said:
A good friend of mine was zombiefied by WoW. Therefore I shall hate it.
Not the game's fault your mate has no willpower.

OT - I play it occasionally. I currently have 2 level 80's, and every so often I'll get another timecard and blast another character up to max level while I wait for Cataclysm and my beloved Goblin.

I vastly prefer City of Heroes, though.

Bloody Crimson

Sep 3, 2009
El Poncho said:
Where's the I played it and enjoyed it but don't play it any more.
That would be my choice, too...

Well for me I was almost addicted to it. I kept playing despite the lack of any way to get past lv 18 without doing the impossible quests. Then it crashed one day, and I just thought: "You know, maybe I should go outside."

almostgold

Dec 1, 2009
I played it for a while, and have conflicted opinions abouts it. It was fun enough, but i wasn't actually, you know, good. I couldn't make a friend without them bypassing my level within a day or two, and lets not even talk about PvP. So I stopped. I understand people who like it though.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
To date, there have only been two (well actually three, but two of them are so similar I count them as one) MMOs that I've tried and liked, and I tried a lot of them.

WoW was not one of those I liked.

In case anyone cares (which really is my way of saying "I know noone cares but I'm going to say it anyway), the two MMOs I liked were Guild Wars and City of Heroes/Chapions Online.

Guild Wars because it had (pre-EotN at least) little to no grind, great PvP, a constantly engaging (not necessarily good, but at least not interrupted by "go kill 100 boars"-type missions) storyline, virtually no dependency on who's got the best equipment (the best armor in the game was for sale for a very reasonable price anyone could easily afford halfway through the game, and the higher-priced special armor sets were only special in the way they looked, not in stats), builds that could be changed almost completely (only your base class is fixed) any time you enter a city or outpost, and a gameplay model that was much more skill-based and build-based than it was stat-based or equipment-based. It did have its fair share of (serious) flaws, many of which more and more turned from minor nuisances to serious concerns as the game aged and more expansions were released. I'll be the last person to claim Guild Wars was perfect, but I do know that at its height it was the best MMO I've ever played.

The reason I like CoH and CO is much simpler. The endless character customization in those games was like a whole game of its own, and coming up with crazy and cool new characters was awesome. Besides that, the level of freedom with the travel powers and just dicking around playing the superhero was a lot of fun.

Normalgamer

Dec 21, 2009
Typhusoid said:
I grinded a Shaman to lv 70, but was put off by 1) atrocious class balancing and 2) being forced to spend hours inside grinding while my social skills slowly decrease
Wait wait, you actually have to train yourself to be social?
Whatever happened to the good old days when I was a lad and when you called a girl stupid she called you a meanie and then 15 years later your married?

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Reasons why i dont like wow
1 To much grind
2 Other players are mainly jerks
3 It just dosent provide the feeling of intense glee that games like crackdown provide me

BloodyThoughts

EPIC PIRATE DANCE PARTY!
Jan 4, 2010
I played it, and I gotta say, I didn't like it. It was all good till you hit level 10 and then the main quest of the whole game was to grind and show off your level to other social rejects. The PVP was fun for a little bit, The arena difficulty is wonky as fuck mostly due to level 70's-80's always killing you right when you step in, deeming it very unfun. There are always retards saying "im gonna f*ck your pussy" or "wanna cyber sweet cheeks?" then when you turn the down they usually say "you fucking loser go kill yourself". He want's to have virtual sex with somebody and he's calling me a loser? I could go on, but I don't feel like it.

mercertheblack

Feb 11, 2009
BloodyThoughts said:
There are always retards saying "im gonna f*ck your pussy" or "wanna cyber sweet cheeks?" then when you turn them down they usually say "you fucking loser go kill yourself". He wants to have virtual sex with somebody and he's calling me a loser?
Wait, you're on the internet... and this is new to you?