Poll: Eye Care: Glasses, Contacts, not needed?

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
"Don't touch yourself at night because Jesus is watching." DA WAT?!? He watches my Chaturbate cam? He better be following me. I need followers. Tip too.

Well, I am going to hell for that inner thought.

Anywho, your eyes. They see things. It's part of one of your senses and it takes so much images every second for your brain to store. So do you wear glasses to help you see better and maybe look smart? Lenses because glasses are a pain? Had laser eye surgeon because you wanted to shoot laser beams out of your eyes.

*Someone whispers into my ear*

That's not what that's for? So why the hell are they advertising them as the next best thing and cost so so much? PER EYE!! Is someone really only going to do one eye and and get laser wink vision? That sounds fucking awesome!!

Wink and boom, bitches!! Dat eye be dangerous.

Back on topic, are you glasses less because you have great ears or are you the type to deny wearing one but complain that you can't see shit. GET YOUR EYES CHECKED!!

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Glasses here (I AM a nerd).

Can't take contact lenses, because my eyes are ridiculous sensitive (I tried to get some in my eyes for a week - for a LARP (NEEERD) - couldn't do it. Can't open my eyes under water etc.)

Always wanted to check if my shortsightedness can be LAZORED away... but never had the money (I am also a poor nerd)

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Glasses, since I was about 16. I was in college and in the lunchroom, where the day's lunch was normally on a blackboard. I joked to my friend that we were getting no lunch that day because there was no writing on the board, when she silently turned to me and put her glasses on my face. There was writing on the board. I was kinda like "Shit".

I could never do contacts. Can't touch my eyes, that's so gross. And I'm not particularly bothered by the glasses that I'd look to laser surgery.
I do need new glasses at the moment, but I've just not been bothered to go to an eye appointment yet.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Umm...I wear both contacts and glasses. Not at the same time, of course, but still - I can't pick anything from the poll.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
I had eye surgery (PRK) a couple months prior to going to Iraq. Unfortunately, there were some things about my eyes that should have disqualified me for it, so now I have a kind of bad case of night blindness. Besides that, vision is fine.

I had the surgery because my sergeant made me. And my sergeant seems to have made me because he wanted my percocet fun bucket (Oh, I found out I was resistant to percocet during my recovery. Pure agony).

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Another glasses-wearer chiming in. I don't mind as such, because I look good with glasses, but my current pair of glasses got nicked pretty quickly so that's kind of annoying. Maybe I can change out the actual glasses and keep the frame. My insurance would cover that, I reckon.

But yeah I can't see myself getting either lenses or laser surgery. My vision isn't so bad that I can't deal with not wearing glasses for a short while anyway. I like them as a fashion item, so I'm good.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
The optometrists I went to when I was in elementary school said I'd be blind by college if I didn't wear glasses. I didn't believe them. As it turns out, they were wrong. Vision still 20/20 :D

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I didn't need to wears glasses many years ago but thank to the degee I took at Uni (works are on the computer screen) and aswell the invention of broadband, my eyesight deteriorate over the three years.

I don't think my eyesight has become super bad that I have the option to get contact lens.

As for wearing glasses, I'm used to it at this point and I liked the new me as in pior to my Uni life, I didn't need glasses so it would be a shock to anyone I know from High School to see my again with glasses.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Glasses most of the time, but I can read without them, so I take them off when I read like my optometrist told me to.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
My parents tried to get me into contacts when I played soccer a lot. I just could never get used to them.

So, right now, I'm just using glasses. I was considering laser eye surgery, but the last check up I had showed that my vision remained mostly the same for 3-5 years and was now better than most people my age with glasses. As a result, I'm not in a rush to get the surgery.

Section Crow

Infamous Scribbler for Life
Aug 26, 2009
I have glasses, got'em lumped onto me when I was ten due to my genetic (Thanks dad) short sightedness.

The initial thought of getting glasses had me afraid of my 'cool' factor having grown up watching children's cartoons, but holy fuck I was gobsmacked when I put those suckers on, it was like a whole new world and I refused to take the bleeding things off for awhile.

I have never even considered contacts because of my overtly enthusiastic introduction to glasses, thinking about it now they just seem pointless.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
I wear contact lenses myself, I always found glasses annoying and I don't think they suit my face. You get over the whole touching your eyes thing very quickly and I never even think about them now except when I put them in each morning and take them out each night.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Actual laser eyes here.
To quote the great rapper J-Surf N' Turf: "I got laser vision!" (Shootin' lasers at pigeons. Come listen for a smidgen and you just might be smitten)

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
I've had 20/12 vision for as long as I can remember. Sometimes when I walk outside, a single ant on the sidewalk will catch my eye. I still haven't gotten past this fundamental difference between what people see, both literally and figuratively speaking.

Colorblind people fascinate me as well.

One thing that sets me apart from everyone I know is I love to rub my eyes while showering. I mean it's basically an eyeball massage, which feels great. I remember doing this as a kid and I started seeing what's referred to as 'floaters [http://www.secretsofthefed.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/eye-floaters.jpg]', which I would learn about much, much later in life. Apparently it's kind of a bad sign if you start seeing floaters, but I saw them when I was a kid, and my eyesight is still pretty much perfect.

Another thing I noticed when I was a kid was things that looked like spermatozoa, glowing bright white when I was outside in sunlight. As it turns out, those are white blood cells [http://io9.gizmodo.com/you-can-see-your-own-white-blood-cells-flowing-through-1652136232].

The good news for the adorably bespectacled people here is that perfect eyesight isn't everything. What really matters is the mind, not they eyes. This comes from decades of experience.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Contacts.
Glasses getting dirty and crooked would drive me flippin' insane but I dealt with it for years because I figured it was still better than wearing something in my eye.
But then I got prescription decorative lenses for cosplay (red, Jesse Custer) and thought "Wow, this is way better." So from there I gave my optometrist a call saying I want contacts for every day use, got an appointment, the rest is history.
Funny thing, when I gave them the call asking for everyday lenses, the receptionist said I already have lenses. Well, yeah, I guess I do, I need one's that aren't red. I have pretty hazel eyes, darn it, the world needs to know.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
It cost $2,000 per eye and with PRK, I was out of commission for about a month. My first weekend I taped the windows so that no light could get in AND I wore sunglasses listening to the radio because the brightness of the TV was too much for my eyes to handle. The next two weeks, I couldn't do anything on the computer because the light was too bright when I tried to concentrate on anything (though thankfully I could go TV with my sunglasses on). The next two or three weeks after that, I could use the computer for brief periods at a time and I finally got rid of the sunglasses while indoors.

I would do it all again in a heartbeat

Seriously, laser eyes are freaking awesome. Being able to see without the need of lens/contacts is the best thing ever and I am super glad that I did it, even though I needed the much more painful PRK (my sister got the surgery at the same time but she got traditional Lasik; she drove my car back to me that first weekend since I couldn't do anything). PRK was kind of awful for the first month there but 1000% worth it.

Oct 2, 2012
I have glasses. I've needed them since I was 15 but didn't get them until I was 20 or 21. I honestly didn't think my vision was that bad until I got the glasses. The difference in my sight was staggering.
I only wear them when I have to though, I can't get used to the feeling of them on my face.

MythicMatt

Phantom of the forum
Feb 4, 2015
Supposed to have glasses. But, when I wear them, I can't actually focus on anything past them. Sunglasses are fine, somehow, but glasses are nope.
Don't like the idea of contacts either.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Glasses. My eyesight really is not that bad, but it's hard for me to focus on the board at work when I need to see what orders are ongoing without them. I'm legally permitted to drive without them but my ability to perceive depth is decaying based on my most recent eye test so it's not advised.

I'm going to need bifocals soon as I have a much harder time reading at a more standard distance.