Poll: Facial Hair. Yay, Nay or damn that's just hay.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
I like to have something of an almost goatee if I can help it because I hate how my stupid baby face looks clean shaven and I hate my chin; mostly covering this is the most important part, the 'tache comes and goes.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
My girlfriend likes full beards, not the stubble I've got going. If I met her and had a beard, she'd be happy. I didn't, so I just don't grow one, she thinks it itches.

Arean

Windwalker of Shaundakul
Apr 24, 2008
Personally, after I started wearing facial hair I can never go back. The few times I've shaved it all off I feel like I've lost 5-10 years. :p

Just, for the love of all that is holy, if you're gonna grow a beard, make a bit of effort to take care of it/not look like a homeless person.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Baffle said:
Lil devils x said:
There's quite a lot to query there, like whether you and your friend are identical outside of how hairy you are (unlikely ofc).

But, tell the truth, do you really think this is an evolution issue? I'm more likely to get shot by a farmer when walking through a field than I am to pick up parasites. I pray every day for chest hair thick enough to stop a bullet.
Of course my friend and I are not identical, however, This is not my only friend who cannot walk through that field. I have yet to meet someone from European ancestry that could walk through that field without being saturated with chiggers. I used to have parties in that field with over 200 people there, so this has not been a small amount of people in that field. HAHA.

Yes, I do think it is an evolution issue. Some people have evolved to have less body and facial hair and be more resistant to sun and parasites while others have evolved to live with less oxygen.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
I have a beard, and I'm told it looks ugly and unkept but I kind of like it and I'm too lazy to regularly shave too.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Baffle said:
Lil devils x said:
Yes, I do think it is an evolution issue. Some people have evolved to have less body and facial hair and be more resistant to sun and parasites while others have evolved to live with less oxygen.
Oh, I think it's an evolution issue generally, but that's just it - you're talking about one group evolving a particular trait as though everyone is going to, but that's not the case. Beards are very fashionable now, so I think it's quite likely to be bred back into our DNA - hairy babies as far as the eye can see.

Also, not sure what a chigger is, suspect ticks?
Not unless we get another cooling period. Even with breeding it doesn't counter the issues with heat and hair. XD

The farther we get from the last ice age, the less hair humans have overall, even those hairy Europeans..

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
I think it's extremely far from an evolutionary issue at present. Like many minor factors in our genetics we are simply advanced enough socially to counter any obvious biological issues. So we may be more likely to get a tick if we have hairy bodies but the sort of disease we get from ticks is much less likely to cause any significant degree of harm to hairy persons. Similarly our breeding is still heavily social and current data suggests that having facial hair is seen as more masculine and a little more aggressive but also (conversely to what I initially thought) more trustworthy. Perhaps masculinity and straightforwardness are perceived in tandem?

Anyway, the point is evolutionary biology is still important but is being seriously affected by contemporary medicine and social norms, born of evolutionary tendencies but let's face it, different.

LadyMint

Apr 22, 2010
There are several men in my social circle with beards. Some of them are annoying to look at, while others make me want to run my fingers through them and scritch their chins. So, I can't really say either way what I like. I guess it depends on how manly it makes you look. I don't like men who look like little boys, but a good-looking beard has a fine line, too.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Well according to this guy beard lice are blessing and you shouldn't kill them. LOL

http://www.business-standard.com/article/news-ani/free-syrian-army-fatwa-forbids-killing-lice-growing-in-blessed-beards-113082700282_1.html

That is the first time I think i have ever heard lice being called a blessing.. Oh my D:
I do hope this was just a mistranslation.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Lil devils x said:
Well according to this guy beard lice are blessing and you shouldn't kill them. LOL

http://www.business-standard.com/article/news-ani/free-syrian-army-fatwa-forbids-killing-lice-growing-in-blessed-beards-113082700282_1.html

That is the first time I think i have ever heard lice being called a blessing.. Oh my D:
I do hope this was just a mistranslation.
Taking showes 5 times a day (with soap) can't be healthy either...

Dagda Mor

Jun 23, 2011
I love having proper facial hair, but I can't stand stubble. It's itchy and annoying, and it's the main reason I don't even bother shaving during the infrequent periods where I don't have to keep up appearances. And I always hate how I feel like I'm way younger after I shave.

I also like playing around with different beard styles, since I can grow a full beard in less than two weeks. Right now I'm trying out a sort of Jack Sparrow beard. Without the ridiculous braids, of course. My moustache doesn't come in as thick as I'd like, though--it's barely more than pencil-thin. Which sucks, because I've often wanted to try out a handlebar moustache, especially around Halloween time.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Too lazy to shave since 1999... and counting.
Designer stubbles 3 to 5 day?s length ftw. Not to mention without a beard I look way too young? well? back then? never mind.

ultrabiome

Sep 14, 2011
Been growing facial hair since I was 14. In fact, I asked my dad for a razor and he said "There is no way you need a razor yet" because he couldn't even grow a goatee until he was 30 (my mom got me a razor right away). He's 60 now and can grow a "full" beard but still has very little body hair. However, I could grow a fuller beard by the time I graduated high school with body hair to match. College was mainly goatee years and by grad school I had transitioned into "full" beards, as I had gotten way more complements over the goatee. My wife definitely prefers the beard to my baby face without it, even if it makes her itch.

At the same time, my beard always itches to some degree, and only gets worse was it gets longer. I also hate the routine of shaving. But I also hate trimming my beard, even though I prefer a short, full beard, as cheap commercial trimmers just aren't sharp or good enough to prevent half-cut hairs and split ends. So I generally go through cycles of a few months, trimming down to stubble (sometimes a full shave - there is a nice clean feeling afterward - followed by razor burn for a few days), then let regrow. I might trim it down a few times until the quality of the beard decreases and requires starting over.

And since partner hair preferences keep coming up, given the amount of hair I have, both on my face and body, I refuse to do anything else but an occasional minor trim. I tried trimming everything down to nothing once and the regrowth process was full of itching and chaffing I refuse to repeat. I'm not a hypocrite though, so I never complain about my wife's hair, and I have zero problems with it anyway. It's natural to have hair as we all have hair everywhere, just some much finer or lacking pigment. Keep up with hygiene and there's no problem.

We still universally have body hair (the thick kind) in a few places, and my understanding why we've kept them evolutionarily is that it's due to temperature control and chaffing reduction mainly. On our heads (not faces), our hair provides something to hold our perspiration when we are hot and allows our heads to keep cool (our brains do not like temperature changes), and conversely keeps our heads warm when it is cold (not to mention UV protection that hair provides). Under our arms and between our legs, the cooling part still applies (especially to us men - our sperm require lower temperatures than our bodies (80-85 deg F versus 98.6 deg F)) but probably not so much heating. But anyone who has trimmed, shaved or otherwise eliminated hair between their legs probably realizes that the hair prevents our skin from rubbing on itself and chaffing, which is way worse when wet. I imagine we have kept facial hair in general to keep our faces warm/cool, but sexual selection has preferred women with little to no facial hair and men with facial hair (as men don't get facial hair until they are sexual mature).

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
Everywhere on my face, aside from the chin, the hair grows unpleasantly stiff and patchy as hell.
I shave off the awkward bits every other day, and the goatee when it's time for an extended exposure to the public.

Other than that I am forever envious of men who can grow a full beard, or at the very least some decent sideburns.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
I grew my beard out and was given a backhanded compliment;

"You look too manly with that beard".

uhhh....