Poll: Fallout 3 or New Vegas

forgo911

Feb 26, 2014
SajuukKhar said:
forgo911 said:
That being said...WHY PUT THEM IN?
According to J Sawyer on his forumsrping they put them in because they didn't want players to see bad landscaping from high places, which would let you notice it.

He also admitted they probably just should have let the players see it anyways and not have put in the invisible walls.
It works on console versions, but with the tcl code, you can get past the gate at the mojave ourpost and see how the landscape is constructed. I am glad he realizes he should have just left it in.

forgo911

Feb 26, 2014
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
Giralin said:
Fallout 3 has a much better main plot, and Three Dog, but New Vegas has better everything else, and the "you can't play after the game is over" thing isn't really a good argument. You are told when you get to the point of no return, and are asked if you really want to continue, so if you want to do more side stuff after beating the game save on a different slot after that point.

side note if you are buying for PC (which you should for Bethesda's games because mods) here are some mods you should look into
for Fallout 3
Fallout Wanderer's Edition: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/2761/?
the unofficial patch: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/3808/?
for New Vegas
Project Nevada: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/40040/?
Mission Mojave (an unofficial patch): http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/45104/?

these are basically the bare minimum you should play with, and the big overhaul ones (Wanderer's Edition and Project Nevada) allow alot of customization on how much the effect the game balancing.
Oh god no the Unofficial patch. Was that the patch that decided along with some actual fixs decided to remove all the invisible walls in cities causing a stupid situation where you can climb over a wreckage then immediately fall through the world because they never rendered behind them? Why the hell would you want that!?

Wanderer's edition, along with many of Fallout 3's mods, is far less refined then the game and ruins all enjoyment from it. Nearly all the mods for Fallout 3 are some random guy thinking "Wouldn't it be awesome if it worked like this" with no knowledge of game balance or UI design, and poor coding that makes you think better of Bethesda. And thats just including the mods people say are good.

Really, the only mod you should ever get for Fallout 3 is the ironsights mod, which was so good, it appears completely taken and put into Fallout New Vegas, as they act exactly the same down to the same effect and everything. Fallout 3, while lacking hardcore mode (which Fallout New Vegas is practically terrible without) is completely fine on Very Hard, although I wish someone would make a mod removing the experience boost.
From personal experience, the unoffical patch is a god send if the game crashes randomly. Removing the invisible walls was a great idea, considering it is a open world game you are meant to explore. As for the falling out of the world, I've never noticed it; but even if it does exist, three simple letters would prevent you from falling off the world, tcl. As for the mods you say "ruin your experience" I would say you haven't poured hours upon hours into the game. There is only so many times you can run through the exact same world without thinking; man wouldn't it be great if I could do MORE things with the game world.

Last, not everyone is a bragger like yourself. Not everyone likes to pound their faces into their keyboards in frustration. There are times when being a badass is cathartic and enjoyable. Also the hardcore mode was a terrible idea. The bonus you get for beating the game on Hardcore is soo fricken stupid, it just seems like it mocks you for even trying to complete the game a different way.

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
SajuukKhar said:
-Except for Fallout 1, 2, 3, and Tactics, which forced you to destroy the "evil" actions.
-Except for, you know, the very things I posted and you quoted. what do you think hunters and scavengers do with all the food they get? just horde it? they obviously trade it with, you know, the caravans and cities for supplies, and a safe place to stay for some amount of days.
-Obviously.
-That is entirely false, its been outright confirmed that power armor runs on its own unique version of fission batteries, and that they can last for HUNDREDS of years...... how else do you think POWER armor works so long after the war?
-That is also entirely false, Fallout 1, 2, and tactics were HEAVILY MQ based.
-Also false, the Legion is actually larger then the NCR in terms of territory, and is said to control all of Arizona, new Mexico, and most of Colorado and Utah. Which is mentioned NUMEROUS times throughout the game.
-Except he has no ace in the hole, everyone knows he loves Vegas to much to destroy it again.
-All of this is literally things you just made up, and no, nelson does not have farms
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131125213618/fallout/images/b/b1/NelsonFNV.jpg
Yes, I mixed up some things, my bad. Let me correct myself.

Also

Spoilers ahead.

-No, it's just 2 and 3 that forces you to destroy "evil" in one you can join Master, in 2 you can be as bad as you want (slaver etc) but story is that Enclave will still erase everyone including you. In Tactics you can liberate calculator instead of destroying it. Calculator takes over entire Brotherhood.

-Again, do you really think prewar food supplies food would last for over 200 years. I think it's as unlikely as ant creating thorium reactor.

-Fallout 1 has waterchip plot that you can finish in first few hour or regular gameplay or even within 15 minutes if you rush. But super mutant army is still there. Also it's probably the heaviest of "Black Isle" Fallouts (Obsidian basically is Black Isle) on main plot line. Two makes GECK plot obsolete almost immediately. Almost everyone almost forgot about it after few hours (representative sample being Fallout fans I know in person or over internet). Tactics is... squad tactics game. Go figure it will have mostly straight plot line. Three is Bethesda game so it has Bethesda sensibilities.

- Well, my memory failed me. You are right about that one. But I did some fact checking. On the other hand Legate Lanius clearly states that they can pull almost all the army from east without expectations of troubles back home. They are equall if not superior to NCR in the region.

- Again, everyone deals with Mr. House because nobody dares attack him and nobody has to attack him. He's peaceful and maintains order but everyone assumes he carries a big stick. He always did pre-war. He had personal anti-balistic systems which intercepted most of nukes headed for Las Vegas. What more do you need.

- Again I mixed it witch Nellis Airforce Base. Ahem. Nelson was NCRs settlement that was actually a military base with some civilians attached. Legion took it over and make same use of place. Neither of those is know for being self-sustainable. It's, therefor, reasonable to deduce that it's supplied by the side due to it's strategic importnace as a military base.

- Also, it's BS that weapons and ammo types are useless. I used them all the time. AP against deathclaws and Robots are god sent. And I dont move from workbench unless I have decent amount of max charged microfusion cells.

- And yes, F3 had balanced guns. Anything not explosive and not a Chinese Assault Rifle was basically useless outside few specialized energy weapons. And even if other weapons were laughable compared to CAR I still moved down super mutants with 10mm SMG while barely scratching them with Miniguns. Great balance right there. There are far more inconsistencies in F3 armory than in FNV armory. Only thing I miss from F3 was Rock-It Launcher and Teddy-Bearing people's heads off.

- If you didn't get enough backgrount story from people, terminals etc I wonder how much did you listen to/read? Also, in FNV Obsidian does a great job with show, don't tell philosophy. etc, etc

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
New Vegas

NEW VEGAS

NEW VEGAS

Sorry didn't mean to shout!
I picked up Fallout 3 and really couldn't get into it. I don?t know if it's the story, the green tinge or the story!
So when Someone bought me New Vegas for Christmas 2010 my first thought was "What's the trade in price?" Next day I was snowed in so started playing as I guzzled down Christmas chocolate and booze? best day ever!

I love the story, the grey morality, the characters, the music, Mr New Vegas, everything! Abd nearly four years later I've played it over 25 times and now thanks to this thread I'll be starting a new playthru tonight!

Sizzle Montyjing said:
Denamic said:
NV is better is practically every way. Gameplay, characters, quests, plot, environment, DLC, arsenal, etc. The only thing F3 did better was the intro and the initial wow factor.
Completely wrong. Lest we forget... Three-Dog? F3 radio shat massively on F:NV, god, after a radio host that involved in the world in F3, it was kinda embarrassing to have a radio host that plain and boring, well, at least in my opinion.
What!?!
Sorry but Mr New Vegas is far better than Three Dog's... but that's just my opinion!
I actively listen to the radio in NV for Mr New Vegas, where as the radio in FO3 is turned off because of that annoying git!

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
A really tough choice there...
New Vegas had better character writing, expanded gunplay, and lasted me longer (~400 hours to ~350 hours) with its great DLC, but I have to go with Fallout 3. There was a less involved but much more complete story, a more interesting and coherent world, and let's face it: green is a lot better of a post apocalyptic color than the overdone browns of New Vegas. Fallout 3 really stood out from the other Fallouts, and while New Vegas was a great game, it really was just Fallout 3 2.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
I like Fallout 3 the most and its bigger open world, but New Vegas is definitely the best game. I voted new vegas.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
Look at all the falsehoods.

-That's factually false, killing someone that is part of a faction only causes you to lose no reputation if you do it in sneak mode, if you doing it while not in sneak mode you WILL lose reputation immediately, regardless of the number of witnesses around, even if there are none. I dont understand how that works since there is no one around either way, but apparently sneak mode is the only way to negate NPcs all seeing magic powers.

There is also no quest that REQUIRES you to steal a legion outfit. you literally made that up.

-Also factually false, iron sights are, if anything, one of THE most complained about features of modern FPSs by old school FPS player, because they remove any need to actually AIM the gun yourself, and are extremely hand holding. Its also very terribly done in NV, CoD does it better by having more varied iron sights that dont take up as much of the screen.

-Weapon sway is a terrible game mechanic for anything but ultra long range sniper weapons. It doesnt make much sense that your character, with 10 STR, cant hold a freaking pistol steady.

-Of, you know, if the enemy isn't standing totally still in one place and you have to readjust your aim after "zooming" in.

-I never said there wasn't a large number of weapons in New Vegas, I said most of them were useless, which they are. Due to the DT armor system pretty much every form of shotgun and minigun is worthless, energy weapons are ridiculously underpowered, except DLC ones, and half of the SMGs, assault rifles, pistols that are good work on some stupid gimmick, like lucky, rather then just being moderately good weapons overall.

As for getting the best gear in NEw Vegas, all you have to do is go to Old World blues when you reach the area, then you are set for the rest of the game with overpowered weaponry.

-Point Lookout is actually considered the best Fallout 3 DLC, usually tied with The Pitt, few people actually hate it. So I have no idea where you are getting this from.

-New vegas lacked "playstyles" as much as Fallout 3 did, jamming in more guns did nothing to fix that since most of them were made worthless by how terrible DT armor works.

carnex said:
-You dont "liberate" the calculator, you take it over, fusing your mind with it, thus becoming it yourself.
-Given that
A. most people dont eat prew-war food, as mentioned before
-B. Fallout is always been about super science BS, the food lasting all the way to Fallout 3 is entirely plausible.
-Being able to finish the MQ fast doesn't make it non MQ focused, and doing it that fast is considered cheating by most.
-You confuse the terms "can" with "have". The Legion CAN pull its armies from the east, but it hasn't. Even if it did, it would still be vastly out matched by the NCR who has power armor, and laser and plasma weaponry they have stolen from the Encalve and BoS.
-Actual evidence that any of that works, or that anyone has any reason to assume it still works? House has no known working weaponry, hes literally a hostile sitting duck trying to keep the NCR out, they have every reason to want to kick his ass.
-Nelson was never a NCR military base, it was just a town until the Legion took it over, stop making things up.
-Deathclaws have only 15 DT armor, literally the same thing every other raider has. AP rounds are useless against them.
-Fallout 3 guns were terribl balanced, still better then New Vegas by a mile though since they were far more focused.
-Actually, New vegas was almost completely "tell dont show" since 99% of the world information was spoon fed to you via NPcs, instead of just shown in the game world like Fallout 3 did with its hunter/scavenger/merchant caravan system.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Story is shit either way
Just get both, install TTW
http://taleoftwowastelands.com/
Then get compatible mods from ones mentioned in forum
Enjoy setting and gameplay.

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
SajuukKhar said:
carnex said:
-You dont "liberate" the calculator, you take it over, fusing your mind with it, thus becoming it yourself.
-Given that
A. most people dont eat prew-war food, as mentioned before
-B. Fallout is always been about super science BS, the food lasting all the way to Fallout 3 is entirely plausible.
-Being able to finish the MQ fast doesn't make it non MQ focused, and doing it that fast is considered cheating by most.
-You confuse the terms "can" with "have". The Legion CAN pull its armies from the east, but it hasn't. Even if it did, it would still be vastly out matched by the NCR who has power armor, and laser and plasma weaponry they have stolen from the Encalve and BoS.
-Actual evidence that any of that works, or that anyone has any reason to assume it still works? House has no known working weaponry, hes literally a hostile sitting duck trying to keep the NCR out, they have every reason to want to kick his ass.
-Nelson was never a NCR military base, it was just a town until the Legion took it over, stop making things up.
-Deathclaws have only 15 DT armor, literally the same thing every other raider has. AP rounds are useless against them.
-Fallout 3 guns were terribl balanced, still better then New Vegas by a mile though since they were far more focused.
-Actually, New vegas was almost completely "tell dont show" since 99% of the world information was spoon fed to you via NPcs, instead of just shown in the game world like Fallout 3 did with its hunter/scavenger/merchant caravan system.
- You fuse, it becomes something that takes over the Brotherhood rather forcibly. For me it implies that it's not as simple as Warrior controlling Calculator but rather other way around.
- Fallout uses '50 and '60 SF sensibilities. Even in those wacky years people had to eat. Still
- No they don't only eat prewar food, but food sources are never explained within even a star system of satisfiable. It's rather a moot point by itself but great example of how companies work and how he world is built in each game.
- Legion HAS pulled what it deems as ENOUGH to take over Hoover Dam and New Vegas region. It could have pulled more but deemed unnecessary.
- You can look down the barrel of a gun and question does it work. But unless it's your only choice it would be a rather stupid thing to test.
- Legion does mention they kicked out NCR from Nelson.
- Stealth AP Sniper Rifle head shot can put town Alpha Male Deathclaw. Regular bullet cant. Tested many times over even if most often it takes 2 bullets for Alpha Male but regular fall from first one always.
- Strangle how then, in F3, i never ever used energy weapon without selling it as fast as possible for example. Or how NO weapon can stand up to CAR. In FNV I used so many weapons it's ridiculous. Right now I lug around fully modified LAER, 12.7 smg, Sniper Rifle and MF Hyperbreeder Alpha with some explosives to boot. But often I change it up with All-American, Brush Gun, Survivalist Rifle, That Gun, Riot Shotgun, Hunting Revolver, Assault Carbine, Sonic Emitter - Robo-Scorpion, Anabelle, Light Machine Gun etc. All highly effective weapons and fun to use. Much better variety and consitency than F3.
- Much of info I got about the world I got from just looking around. Your experience might differ but that's how I got it. It's not like, for example, F3 Dunwitch Building which would be just another bland place without slabs of text on terminals.

Mar 9, 2012
SajuukKhar said:
Prior to the Legion's attack, the NCR Army had occupied Nelson, with the intention of turning it into a military camp for logistics planning as well as to fill in the strategic gap between Camp Forlorn Hope and Camp Searchlight.

Unless you are willing to be more pedantic than I just feel I was, I would say that counts as a military base.

It is made pretty clear that the NRC would have annexed the Strip long ago, if they weren't locked in a stalemate with the Legion. If they tried to move on the Strip, they would have to divert troops from the Dam to do it, and then the Legion would strike and they would be forced to fight on two fronts.

JazzJack2

Feb 10, 2013
SajuukKhar said:
-Also factually false, iron sights are, if anything, one of THE most complained about features of modern FPSs by old school FPS player, because they remove any need to actually AIM the gun yourself, and are extremely hand holding. Its also very terribly done in NV, CoD does it better by having more varied iron sights that dont take up as much of the screen.
Pure bullshit, people complain about iron sights being used in fast paced arcade style shooters like COD because it slows the game down and hip firing makes much more sense as a mechanic in these games, no one in their right mind thinks iron sights are completely terrible regardless of the situation and it's utterly absurd to suggest it's a hand holding mechanic. I mean imagine Arma or Red Orchestra without iron sights, it would be stupid.

-Weapon sway is a terrible game mechanic for anything but ultra long range sniper weapons. It doesnt make much sense that your character, with 10 STR, cant hold a freaking pistol steady.
I don't think you understand how firearms work, I mean do you honestly think that because someone is incredibly strong that would give them amazing control over a handgun? what?

-I never said there wasn't a large number of weapons in New Vegas, I said most of them were useless, which they are.
Not compared to Fallout 3. Just take a look at the pistols from both games for example, All of the pistol in NV will be useful at some stage in the game bar maybe the 22 unlike Fallout 3 where 2 pistols (which is nearly half of them if you ignore unique variants) are immediately redundant (the Chinese pistol and the 32) because you start the game with a vastly superior one. Certainly out of the guns I can think of very few redundant weapons in NV, the 45 submachine gun, the 22 pistol and the sawn off shotgun are the only ones that spring to mind.
The melee weapons do have more filler but it makes more sense given how many utensils there are that people could fashion into crude make shift weapons and there are certainly no more filler melee weapons in NV than there are in 3.

Due to the DT armor system pretty much every form of shotgun and minigun is worthless,
Funny you say that since the riot shotgun loaded with slugs is actually fucking amazing particularly against enemies with high DT and in harder areas like the Lonesome Road DLC. The hunting shotgun is also pretty good if you use it against moderately armoured targets like NCR troopers.

-New vegas lacked "playstyles" as much as Fallout 3 did, jamming in more guns did nothing to fix that since most of them were made worthless by how terrible DT armor works.
It's hilarious that you complain about the DT system (which by the way is a million times better than the armour system in Fallout 3) given you dismissed armour piercing rounds as useless (which they aren't) maybe if you actually used them you would see they're extremely useful and wouldn't whine about DT.

Oh look more bullshit.
-15 DT is not low
-The typical raider has nowhere near 15DT since they mostly carry leather armour or simple clothes
-Armour piercing rounds are extremely useful against them, if a service rifle does 25 damage maxed out it will do 10 to a Deathclaw after DT, using armour piercing rounds it will ignore the DT completely and do around the base 25 again which means they more than double the damage output against a Deathclaw. Hardly worthless are they?

Don Incognito

Feb 6, 2013
Also, there are perks for shotgun users that more-or-less complete negate enemy armor, to say nothing of different ammo types that can do the same thing.

Additionally, the minigun has DT negation built in; its ammo has -10DT built in.

freedash22

Jun 7, 2013
Well, nothing I can say that hasn't been said already, but if you ask me, go New Vegas and don't forget the mod Project Nevada. Put that together and you will have one of the greatest Bethesda experiences ever.

The_Scrivener

Nov 4, 2012
I'm shocked to see the results of this poll. I think 3 was far more inspired and robust. NV was good, but I had lots more crashes and other generally subpar experiences resulting from how rushed it was. It was like an enormous expansion pack for me. I like NV a lot. But I love F3.

FrostDragon

Jul 28, 2014
This is a "no contest" decision: Fallout 3 is leaps and bounds ahead. Rich plot combines with cohesive, logical worldbuilding to create something greater than New Vegas could ever be. Indeed, Fallout 3 easily wipes aside the first two games - which are clunky, messy and inaccessible games today - and presents us Bethesda's wonderful reimagining of a tired, generic setting established by Fallout 1 and 2.

Sadly, Obsidian chose to return to the rather bland, uninspiring setting of the originals for New Vegas. The NCR and Legion are a "black and white" conflict all the way, and it's rather hard to invest any interest. Fallout 3's factions, however, were far more in depth and involving. The noble Brotherhood of Steel, the villainous Enclave, the terrifying Super Mutants are the players on the stage of ruined Washington DC. The Enclave, as previously seen in Fallout 1, are not as evil as they may first seem - Colonel Autumn's conflicting loyalties make him one of the most engaging characters in videogames to date, and I sympathized deeply with his plight.

Overall, if you wish to get into the Fallout series, I would highly recommend skipping the first two games entirely as they are relics of their age. Play Fallout 3 and, if you desire more Fallout, try New Vegas but don't expect much.

Mar 9, 2012
FrostDragon said:
The NCR and Legion are a "black and white" conflict all the way, and it's rather hard to invest any interest. Fallout 3's factions, however, were far more in depth and involving. The noble Brotherhood of Steel, the villainous Enclave, the terrifying Super Mutants are the players on the stage of ruined Washington DC.
The Enclave, as previously seen in Fallout 1 are not as evil as they may first seem
It honestly reads like you plain haven't played any other game than 3, and you doesn't even seem to have paid much attention there either.

The Fallout 3 Enclave is evil through and through, the only difference between Autumn and Eden is that the former wants to use the purifier to lord over the Wasteland and the latter wants to use it to enact genocide. Both still think that the wastelanders are unpure mutants.

And seriously, the last question of Fallout 3's main storyline is as black and white as it can get; it boils down to "do you want to give clean water to everyone?", or "are you suicidally dumb enough to carry out a genocide which will be inflicted upon you too, for no other reason than it's EVIIIIIILLL?"

At least New Vegas' final question is about whether you...
a) trust the well-intentioned NCR to introduce democracy and order to the Mojave, despite it's problems with jingoism, overly-aggressive expansion politics, and emerging signs of plutocracy.
b) believe that the genius Mr. House can fulfil his promises of moving mankind forward, despite the fact that he is a detached, capitalistic overlord.
c) think that Vegas deserves to be a truly independent state under your rule, hard-earned and chaotic as it might be.

(Yeah, I guess you can help the Legion too, if you buy Caesar's "peace through war" spiel, but, seriously, fuck those guys.)