Poll: Fallout:England-Would it Work?

May 7, 2008
i agree. but i would want it in countries that are recognized as English speaking. maybe not English as the majority population but enough were it would keep us american gamers interested. so england, united states, um.....canada

Polaris19

Aug 12, 2010
DaemonicShadow said:
I was having a good think the other day. I live in Manchester, England, and I was in the Trafford Centre, a huge shopping centre. I was walking through the multi-storey car park, with the pillars and gloom, and I was thinking 'God, this would make a brilliant location for a Fallout game.
I know there are still a huge amount of places in the US that they could make a Fallout game, but, disregarding any canon for now, do you think it would work?
If we're talking only the Fallout Universe, then sadly no.

The game is set up around the idea that it is America that takes the brutal beating. All of the games in the universe are set in the states and the lore is set up to reflect that. The Brotherhood, the Enclave, Caesars Legion, NCR, Masters Army, Vaults, Nuka Cola. All of it is set up off of the idea that the universe's interesting stories are in the US of A. If a game were made in another part of the world, they would have to make practically an entire new set of ideas, characters, factions, and icons. And as cool as that would be, I just don't think longtime fans (maybe even myself among them) would respond quite as well to having Fallout with an entirely new face. I mean look at the Fallout Games boxart. Nearly all of them feature a Brotherhood of Steel member. They are an icon of the game. Even though they are shells of their former selves, you can still find them in New Vegas, and are part of the story (unless your lazy and skipped it). They are practically essential to the Fallout world. Vaults are also a huge part of Fallout's stories and legends, but they were an American developed project. Meaning they exist nowhere else.

There's just too much that would be missing. It wouldn't really be Fallout anymore if you removed all the important pieces. Sure the idea is the same, but can you imagine a Fallout game with no Brotherhood, no Vaults, and/or no Enclave?

It's an awesome idea, but with the way the universe is set up, it just wouldn't work well enough.

EDIT: I'd also like to clarify , that i'm not talking about canon (not strictly at least.) I'm just pointing out that these are essential pieces to the Fallout World, canon or no (Vaults particularly so), and you kind of need them in order for it to be a Fallout game. As I said above, it's just not the same without them.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
i think if they could recreat like all of england ingame it would be great. or atleast all of england scaled down a little.

Fallout doesnt automatically mean american. it means a game world after the world went to shit after a nuke tastic war happened. so im sure that england or surrounding europe got nuked a few times and would make a good setting for a game.

Instead of deserts you have cold rainy weather with snow falling in game if you play long enough. instead of dehydration in hardcore mode you have to change your socks to dry ones or your feet rott away :)

wizard_joe88

Nov 12, 2010
Well, as much as I thought it would be cool to have a fallout game take place in the UK, you have to remember, one of the major parts of the series is it's 50's america mixed with sci-fi look to it, I don't think it'd work well in Britain, maybe a different post-apocalypse game, but not fallout

TailsRodrigez

Nov 13, 2009
Of course it could work, just like a Fallout: China, Russia, France, Germany, and pretty much anywhere because it will still look like a dystopian future

no matter where you claim the game takes place in, it still wont change the actual game that much.

irani_che

Jan 28, 2010
Have you guys been to glasgow or newcastle??
how would we know if they where hit by radioactive fallout or not?
Loondon would be interesting just as it has loads of bomb shelters

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
wizard_joe88 said:
Well, as much as I thought it would be cool to have a fallout game take place in the UK, you have to remember, one of the major parts of the series is it's 50's america mixed with sci-fi look to it, I don't think it'd work well in Britain, maybe a different post-apocalypse game, but not fallout
was their much difference between 50s america and 50s england? just copy paste american 50s stuff into engalnd and add a dash of tea bags and scones and i think that will fix it.

ElectroJosh

Aug 27, 2009
Polaris19 said:
DaemonicShadow said:
I was having a good think the other day. I live in Manchester, England, and I was in the Trafford Centre, a huge shopping centre. I was walking through the multi-storey car park, with the pillars and gloom, and I was thinking 'God, this would make a brilliant location for a Fallout game.
I know there are still a huge amount of places in the US that they could make a Fallout game, but, disregarding any canon for now, do you think it would work?
If we're talking only the Fallout Universe, then sadly no.

The game is set up around the idea that it is America that takes the brutal beating. All of the games in the universe are set in the states and the lore is set up to reflect that. The Brotherhood, the Enclave, Caesars Legion, NCR, Masters Army, Vaults, Nuka Cola. All of it is set up off of the idea that the universe's interesting stories are in the US of A. If a game were made in another part of the world, they would have to make practically an entire new set of ideas, characters, factions, and icons. And as cool as that would be, I just don't think longtime fans (maybe even myself among them) would respond quite as well to having Fallout with an entirely new face. I mean look at the Fallout Games boxart. Nearly all of them feature a Brotherhood of Steel member. They are an icon of the game. Even though they are shells of their former selves, you can still find them in New Vegas, and are part of the story (unless your lazy and skipped it). They are practically essential to the Fallout world. Vaults are also a huge part of Fallout's stories and legends, but they were an American developed project. Meaning they exist nowhere else.

There's just too much that would be missing. It wouldn't really be Fallout anymore if you removed all the important pieces. Sure the idea is the same, but can you imagine a Fallout game with no Brotherhood, no Vaults, and/or no Enclave?

It's an awesome idea, but with the way the universe is set up, it just wouldn't work well enough.

EDIT: I'd also like to clarify , that i'm not talking about canon (not strictly at least.) I'm just pointing out that these are essential pieces to the Fallout World, canon or no (Vaults particularly so), and you kind of need them in order for it to be a Fallout game. As I said above, it's just not the same without them.
This kind of thing has been mentioned as the biggest issues in setting Fallout outside of North America. I do think a game could be set outside of North America and not spoil the official "cannon" but there would have to be some awesome new ideas to compete with the existing factions and technologies of the fallout universe. Certainly it is possible to come up with reasons as to why the brotherhood or supermutants are in europe but it might look too much like someone is shoehorning that stuff into the game which would be worse than not having it at all.

EzraPound

Jan 26, 2008
DaemonicShadow said:
Yeah it would be awesome you wouldn't even have to set it in an apocalyptic future just England now would work

InnerRebellion

Mar 6, 2010
Fallout Paris would be good too, what with the sewer system.

Or... Fallout in Tokyo. But that game would probably be very... different.

Lord Legion

Feb 26, 2010
Not enough guns in England. You won't be able to break into some boarded up house and take Granny's minigun she uses for self defense.

In England you'd just be able to steal her freshly baked cookies...or what you guys call biscuits. I could never play a game that calls cookies biscuits.

Other than that...

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
Lord Legion said:
Not enough guns in England. You won't be able to break into some boarded up house and take Granny's minigun she uses for self defense.

In England you'd just be able to steal her freshly baked cookies...or what you guys call biscuits. I could never play a game that calls cookies biscuits.

Other than that...
so it would make guns more valuable. much more important. perfect for hardcore mode

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
ghostracoon16 said:
No, because there is no vaults in England.
Well there could always be some "secret" vaults that the British government had put in place. Not to mention the London Underground.. Although you'd have to remember to only include what would be probably after the time-line split.

OT:
I say probably, not because of location, because technically it could take place on a shrunken version of actual Britain. I say probably because i think if done right(!) it would work

Retillias

Dec 19, 2010
I can't remember where I heard this, but it sounds reasonable: apparently, England got nuked enough to raise the sea-levels or break the ground or something. What that means is that the UK is made up of many islands after the war, so playing there could be interesting. But, that might not be true. I just wish I could remember where I heard it.

Unfortunately, many key components to the game are only available in the States, like Vaults, Super Mutants and Pip Boys. Unless, for some reason they emigrated. Could work as DLC maybe? Like, some guy tells you he is having trouble in England, where the Enclave was hanging around with their captured deathclaws, and some super mutants followed them somehow. Reasonably farfetched, but nothing too impossible. I doubt it happening, but I kind of hope it would.

Also, England might have completely changed by 2077 anyway. They could have introduced many more weapons to the country, in case of invasion. And because of England's smallness, it could have been pulled back together by a new government, and could be faring rather well.

Though I would love to see all of the UK's nuked monuments. Like that blasted Ferris wheel... Though they could at least introduce some canon, revealing the fate of countries that are so far not heard from. Like, a series of books, about each country, like England, China, Canada, France, South Africa, Brazil, Russia, Japan.... Theres so many countries, theres bound to be something fun happening

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Not enough weapons in england in rl. Everything you'd find in the wassteland would have to be military grade, ie, energy weapons.