Poll: FanFiction, your opinion

DarkenedWolfEye

Jan 4, 2010
GreatTeacherCAW said:
I hate it with a passion. I have yet to come across anything that is written above a 3rd grade level.
Then I pity you, for there is some truly great fanfiction out there. Unfortunately, the one I'm thinking of was taken down because the person forgot to say that he didn't come up with the premise and some dipshit reported him for plagiarizing.
There's a shitload of awful fanfiction that gives the remaining 10-15% a bad name.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
MelasZepheos said:
lunncal said:
The only fan-fiction I have read is Cupcakes, and basically my opinion is "NEVER AGAIN".
This is a real problem for fanfiction. The only fanfic that ever gets recommended to people is the 'hilariously' awful or utterly degenerate stuff, so people read that and assume that the millions of stories are all like that.

It's akin to saying you won't watch any western movies because you saw 2 Girls 1 Cup, or you won't read any western literature because you read Twilight. The worst of the worst is not even close to representative of the whole.
When I choose to watch a movie, read a book, or any other kind of non-fan-created media I can be pretty certain that it isn't going to be completely messed up without me knowing about it. This is simply because there are reviews, and word of mouth etc. that get spread around before viewing. Since anyone can create fan-fiction very easily and there is so much of it, you really never know what you are going to see before you view it.

Of course I wouldn't usually mind that so much, were it not for the fact that 99% of everything I have heard about fan-fiction has not been positive. Why try reading something that is almost universally agreed to be bad, if I can try reading something people tend to like?

You could be proven wrong with either choice, but I'm pretty sure it's less likely if you go with something other people have said is good.

Dec 30, 2009
It all depends. 90% of it is crap, but the remaining is to die for. There are some REALLY good fics out there in all genres, romance, action, adventure, mystery, sci-fi etc. and quite a bit is written by adults as a hobby. Check tvtropes.org They catalog a lot of the good stuff for many shows and novels.

It often ends up being hit and miss but when you find something you like, you'll enjoy it.

DeathChairOfHell

Dec 31, 2009
If you're gonna make a fanfiction, you should do it based on something very open for imagination. Bioshock for example, is perfect, because it's a full city with many citizen's all of them with their own perspectives. Then again, if you want a good fanfiction, you have to be a good writer. But yeah, fanfictions are ok.

masterjiji

Jul 13, 2009
There is exactly one good fanfic out there. It was about Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and put a pretty crazy spin on things by suggesting Alexander was actually with you during the entire story and was literally trying to help you not kill yourself. Any others I have seen are, yes, complete and utter swamp slime. The idea of a fanfic is actually quite intriguing, but nobody can ACTUALLY DO IT WELL, or at least very few can. I've tried to write two; the first one I decided was trash and scrapped it preserve the good name of what I was extrapolating on, and the second I lost to an exploding hard drive. No more tries since then, and don't think I will either.

Purplecoyote

Feb 10, 2010
They're hard to find, but good fanfics can go deeper into the personality of a certain character and make you see them in a different way (stop chuckling) and are genuinely well written. Shocking, I know but I've read a few of those. But again, they're hard to find. Also a lot depends on the fandom of the series, some of it has more crap than others.

Self-insertion fanfiction is of course the bottom of the barrel, Mary-Sues fall under the same category.

michiehoward

Apr 18, 2010
Hate it with a fucking passion, even well written fanfic screws with my fantasy of whatever book/game/movie I have made in my head.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
I personally consider fanfiction writers to be the 2nd lowest form of life that exists.

They are worthless vermin that exist only to corrupt whatever they touch.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
GreatTeacherCAW said:
I hate it with a passion. I have yet to come across anything that is written above a 3rd grade level.
This, except replace hate, with something that best describes wanting to take any and every fan fiction writer and gas them...

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Many people are done by people who haven't received many guidelines to writing, such as in a class. Those that have are more entertaining and I say go for it.