Poll: Favorite Metroid Game? (Conditions inside)

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
CaitSeith said:
For the best Metroid Prime, I'm split between the 2 and 3 (each has their own strengths and failures). In the main series, I go for Super Metroid. Metroid Fusion is alright, but it was a little too linear until near the end.
In my case Prime 2 is the stronger of the Prime Sequals.
I'm with both you guys, the Metroid Prime series is one of my favorite things in the world.
It's funny, I'm really not sure why though, I don't play them really all that much but they just... stick with me, I don't know.

Anyway.

As long as I'm here, my favorite's the first Prime with Echoes and Corruption chasing second and third respectively, it's a real close race though, like you said, they have their strengths and weaknesses.

Most fans would say Echoes is the weakest and honestly I don't blame them. I don't usually defend it because the weakest of the Prime series is still a pretty darn high bar but I personally think Echoes has the strongest atmosphere. Granted, you have a lot of time to stop and smell the roses while you're hiding under those light-umbrellas but jokes aside, I think Dark Aether's art style and hostile atmosphere and use of ambience instead of music if freaking enrapturing.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Of the 2D games, Fusion wins hands down. Just so much gameplay improvements over previous entries and an actual storyline that isn't restricted to the ending and instruction manual as previous games were.

Prime 2 Echoes wins the top spot, just edging over Prime 1 due to the atmosphere and little gameplay improvements here and there. Corruption comes last on this list due to it's utterly ridiculous motion controls that utterly wreck the experience as per usual with motion controls, which is a shame as I think it would win the top spot easily otherwise.

Of course, Other M is a complete disgrace to the series that doesn't even deserve to rank, but what else is new?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Extra-Ordinary said:
Samtemdo8 said:
CaitSeith said:
For the best Metroid Prime, I'm split between the 2 and 3 (each has their own strengths and failures). In the main series, I go for Super Metroid. Metroid Fusion is alright, but it was a little too linear until near the end.
In my case Prime 2 is the stronger of the Prime Sequals.
I'm with both you guys, the Metroid Prime series is one of my favorite things in the world.
It's funny, I'm really not sure why though, I don't play them really all that much but they just... stick with me, I don't know.

Anyway.

As long as I'm here, my favorite's the first Prime with Echoes and Corruption chasing second and third respectively, it's a real close race though, like you said, they have their strengths and weaknesses.

Most fans would say Echoes is the weakest and honestly I don't blame them. I don't usually defend it because the weakest of the Prime series is still a pretty darn high bar but I personally think Echoes has the strongest atmosphere. Granted, you have a lot of time to stop and smell the roses while you're hiding under those light-umbrellas but jokes aside, I think Dark Aether's art style and hostile atmosphere and use of ambience instead of music if freaking enrapturing.

In my case there is no contest, Prime 2 is the better of the sequals bar none.

It retained the gameplay philosophy of the first one and expanded upon in tremdously so. The levels were more interesting (Sanctuary fuckin Fortress) the gameplay was hard and challeging, and it also include much needed improvements like a better scan visor.

Prime 3 is not bad, it just feels like a step down, no switching between different beam versions, Hyper Mode is overpowered, over all gameplay feels too linear, the very un-needed voice acting and dialoge between charcaters, and even though on its own merits it works fine, I just don't like the controls. And some of the boss fights are beyond dissipointingly easy, especially the very final boss. The Aurora Unit was piss easy, heck the prior Dark Samaus fight was more challegeing.

The saving graces of Prime 3 was the still good music (arguably best), and level art, the graphics, and Samus's Smash Bros. Brawl design ;)

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I've only played Super Metroid, Prime 1, and a very small part of Prime Hunters.

Prime is probably my favorite as it was probably the most immersive and fun for me

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
scorptatious said:
I've only played Super Metroid, Prime 1, and a very small part of Prime Hunters.

Prime is probably my favorite as it was probably the most immersive and fun for me
Than you will not be dissipointed in Prime 2.

As I have said before its the strongest of the Prime sequals and follows up the first one well.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I love most Metroid games, but Echoes was my favorite. Granted it's probably because when I was young I had trouble following what was going on in Prime and in Echoes U-Mos' exposition was short, but got me up to speed. So yeah, close call but Echoes wins for me.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
Metroid Prime is still my favorite Nintendo-related game and my second-favorite game of all time (behind Portal), so that's definitely a win. Although the only Metroid games I own are the Prime ones (not including Hunters), so I haven't actually played Super Metroid enough and I haven't played Metroid Fusion at all.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
immortalfrieza said:
Of the 2D games, Fusion wins hands down. Just so much gameplay improvements over previous entries and an actual storyline that isn't restricted to the ending and instruction manual as previous games were.

Prime 2 Echoes wins the top spot, just edging over Prime 1 due to the atmosphere and little gameplay improvements here and there. Corruption comes last on this list due to it's utterly ridiculous motion controls that utterly wreck the experience as per usual with motion controls, which is a shame as I think it would win the top spot easily otherwise.

Of course, Other M is a complete disgrace to the series that doesn't even deserve to rank, but what else is new?
I have a theory that the less we speak of Metorid Other M, the quicker we will all forget about it. Although it will take a long time to forget how fucking cancerous Team Ninja's gender politics were (or should I say are).

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Metroid Prime 2 Echoes.

it took what was great about Metroid Prime and made it even better. also has some of the best bosses and music in the series.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Prime 1 is my favorite, and in my top ten games of all time. I just replayed all the Metroid games recently, and it's amazing how great it still looks and plays to this day.

If I had to list them all it would go:

-Prime
-Prime 2
-Fusion
-Prime 3
-Zero Mission
-Super Metroid
-Federation Force (A legit good game for me. Even if it's not exactly a proper Metroid)
-Other M
-Metroid 2/Metroid/Hunters (These three I really don't care much for enough to order them)

Jan 27, 2011
Prime was practically perfect (minus the clunky controls. If I ever see that Wii compilation again for under a hundred bucks, I'm buying it). Super Atmospheric, a story told through exploring the place and discovering lost lore, fun bosses, etc. It's the best 3D one, hands down.

Second place to fusion, it was a total blast and I loved it as far as the 2D ones go.

Third place goes to the Metroid 2 remake, might actually be the second best one I've played, but I can't say for sure, I'm not done with it. I am juuust after the Lava Tower place.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
aegix drakan said:
If I ever see that Wii compilation again for under a hundred bucks, I'm buying it
The Metroid Prime Trilogy is on the Wii U virtual console right now for dirt cheap.

Jan 27, 2011
Yoshi178 said:
aegix drakan said:
If I ever see that Wii compilation again for under a hundred bucks, I'm buying it
The Metroid Prime Trilogy is on the Wii U virtual console right now for dirt cheap.
That was almost what sold me on the WiiU, no joke. ;_; But I didn't have the budget to afford a WiiU that year, and now that the NX is coming out, I'm inclined to wait for it.

Jute88

Sep 17, 2015
I went with Fusion, I just have fond memories of beating it. I've also only played Metroid Prime and MP 3, so I'm not that much into the series. I could try the original once NES classic Mini is being released in November.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I'm tied between Super Metroid and Fusion. They were both amazing, but I'm going to go with Super because it did it all first and it did it better.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
I am gonna say, poor Metroid Zero Mission, did not even get a single vote.

This was the Metroid game that solidifyed Samus' appearence:

And ever since she has looked like that in every other apperance since Metroid Zero Mission:

Echoes:

Corruption:

Other M:

And the Smash Bros games.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Samtemdo8 said:
I am gonna say, poor Metroid Zero Mission, did not even get a single vote.

This was the Metroid game that solidifyed Samus' appearence:
I do like Zero Mission (it comes in at #2 for me after all), but does it really get credit for Samus's appearance? Super Metroid does give her the blonde hair, which is carried over into Fusion. Simultaniously we get Metroid Prime, where her appearance is a bit different, but I'd say that overall, Samus's appearance was relatively solid pre-Zero Mission. Only after Zero Mission we do get a standardized new look, but I'd say her overall appearance was solidified before then.

Now, as for Zero Mission itself, having played Super Metroid, Fusion, and ZM, it does introduce an interesting middle ground. Super Metroid is heavy on exploration, but light on narrative. Fusion is heavy on narrative, but light(er) on exploration. Zero Mission is somewhere in the middle. You can probably guess where my preferences lie based on my list (though honestly, Super Metroid and Zero Mission are almost interchangeable for me in terms of quality), but that might be a guess why it isn't listed higher. Anything it does, one of its counterparts does better.

PurplePonyArcade

Apr 9, 2015
Original Metroid is okay. I have not played Super Metroid but give it a lot of respect having enjoyed games that take inspiration from it. Prime and Prime 2 are some of my favourite FPS games out there.