Poll: Favorite Spell in Dishonored

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
The_Lost_King said:
Chaos is evaluated upon how many kills you've made and how many times you were detected. Your kill count includes every living creature save for rats. I don't know if River Krust count because I haven't bothered actually fighting one of those. But that includes Weepers and Assassins. That even includes the watch hounds walking with Overseers.

I think Blink has to be my favorite spell. Combined with Agility so I can explore the area much more effectively. I bought a all the other spells but I never actually use them.

Alcamonic said:
As much fun and games Blink spell is, Possession literally ables you to control a guy and move him down into a pit full of hungry hungry Hip- Hagfish.

Check mate, Blink lovers.
If the creature or person you're currently possessing dies, you die as well.

Checkmate, Posession lovers.

The Wykydtron said:
Spoiler box for you, too.

Jimmy Sylvers

Aug 30, 2011
Blink ruined the game.

I got through the game with no kills quite easily because you can easily avoid ever being seen.

And Mana regenerates when not double used....The game was far too easy.

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
I enjoyed sending a horde of ravenous rodents to devour people. There are better deaths than being eaten by rats.

Being possessed by an assassin with superpowers who stopped time in order to get you shot in the head by your friend's bullet is not one of them. I enjoyed doing that as well.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
I don't think Blink should be on the poll. The question should be "What's your favorite spell OTHER THEN Blink?" Because let's face it...Blink is fucking awesome.

Keeping this in mind, I voted Devouring Swarm. I tend to get myself in deep shit....quite a lot. Summoning an enormous swarm of rats to distract multiple enemies will I stab the shit out of them (or escape) is pretty damn handy. And great for killing targets if you don't want to leave a body.

PS: Christ, looks like I'm gonna have to upgrade that agility now. Sounds awesome.

CleverNickname

Sep 19, 2010
Possession
just to be different

though as expensive as it is, I don't use it much, but it's the best backup ever. Why won't that dude move, I need to turn off that zap-fence-thingy! Oh wait, I can make him move. And turn the thingy off. And then vomit. And then choke him right after coming out of his butt or whatever.

... yeah, and then Blink all over the place, cuz it's cool^^

DrunkenMonkey

Sep 17, 2012
I'm going to say bend time just because everyone says blink. There's something particularly awesome about simultaneous knock outs. It's every stealth gamers wet dream.

DrunkenMonkey

Sep 17, 2012
The Wykydtron said:
The_Lost_King said:
The Wykydtron said:
My first playthrough was a steath run that fell apart towards the end. Like many others I assume. The two missions was me just running through destroying dudes. I think the game doesn't mind you killing random goons as long as you then go for the non-lethal target option. Or is it that if people don't witness it or find bodies you don't get as much Chaos? Making the Shadow Kill a viable option in lethal, stealthy runs?

Still got the best ending though, the one for low chaos. Not sure if there's a true ending or anything but hey.

So Blink, I took a point in WIndblast and never used it, took Possession in the very last mission just to bypass a Wall of Light once and I was hoarding Runes to get Stop Time. Pretty awesome power to be fair. Almost as broken as Blink. I only got far in the stealth route because I was sitting in the rafters half the time.
I think chaos just doesn't give a shit if you kill assassins, or weepers because I don't know how many assassins I killed in that last mission.
Yeah I agree with the assassins not counting, I was destroying them left and right through that entire section and I believe I got low Chaos. I did spare their leader though because i'm horribly indecisive on those things. Except the party mission, god. The non-lethal option was worse than death in my opinion... I just imagine she'd be tied up in some creepy stalker's basement with a shrine being built around her and shit. Maybe it's my overactive imagination but that was definitely the vibe I was getting.

Oh and I managed to outsmart the game on how to kill the target in that mission! I knocked her out and tried to drown her in the bathtub so it looked like an accident (that's really fucked up but roll with it ok?) Nope, game didn't like it. Had to stab her in the face instead. Much less interesting.

Unless I had to put a plug in the bath so it filled. Terrible oversight on my part if so. If that's the case then fucking hell... Ruined. Just ruined!

Unsure about Weepers though, maybe they count since they're civilians but I just used the tried and true method of Blinking through their slow asses to be safe.
I agree, The outsiders quip about her fate unsettled me a bit too much. It's a bit sad how her sisters congratulate you about not killing her, but not knowing she is probably suffering a fate worse than death in some dark hole. I consider that a mercy kill, being vindictive has its limits.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Definitely Blink.
There's nothing more satisfying than clearing out a long hallway full of guards by silently teleporting behind them one by one, stabbing them in the neck, and having their body dissolve into ash.
Oh, and it's also fun to get chased, lead a guard to a ledge, then blink to the top of it and drop down on them for an instant kill.

The devouring swarm is fun, but a little impractical.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
Bend time Level 2.

Blink and Dark visionjust makes the game too easy in my opinion. I completed the game on Very Hard by only using Blink and Dark Vision,both at level 1. No enhancements, nothing else. Just Blink, Dark Vision,a little bit of Sleep Darts here n there, and my bare hands, cause I choked everything since I wanted low chaos (except main targets).

Overall though, the 2 biggest problems I had with Dishonored was that it was WAY too easy and so short! My first playthrough that I did on Hard, again used the Dark Vision/Blink combo,and finished it with 8 hours while still collecting all paintings, Runes,Bonecharms, etc.
I thought "Okay, let's do it on Very hard. Surely the enemies vision will grew larger and they'll spot me faster." Nope. Barely noticed a difference between Hard and Very Hard. I really, really love the game. It's probably still going to be my GOTY. Either this or Borderlands 2, but I was very disappointed with its length and difficulty.

Although, after all that was done, I grabbed a trainer and gave myself unlimited runes so I could have the powers. That's where I fell in love with Bend Time. It's just a barrel of fun. See two guards talking, Stop time, pop a crossbow in front of one of the guards' faces, vanish, resume time. The reaction is priceless. Or the classic Stop time, pop Incendiary in front of all the guards in area, resume time, watch synchronized dance routine that I call "The dance of the burning men".

Too short and Too easy, but great game nonetheless.

Edit: I should mention that the only real mission with some difficulty was The Flooded District.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Jandau said:
Yeah, Blink was mildly insane. For my second playthrough I'll avoid upgrading it simply because level 2 blink makes a good chunk of the game trivial. Though to be honest, it's crazy fun.

Next on the list would be Dark Vision. Level 2 DV is, again, gamebreaking. Not only does it let you see enemies through walls, it lets you see EVERYTHING. Almost any item that can be interacted with is highlighted and then color coded (Blue for machinery, Green for items, Yellow for people/animals). This results in something similar to Detective Vision from the Arkham games, where you spend more time in the "alternate" vision mode than in the regular one, losing out on the visuals. My second playthrough will skip Dark Vision entirely.

Timestop (level 2). It stops time. All of it. Completely. You can run from person to person and choke/stab them one by one. You can land a headshot on each and every person in the general area. Or you can simply run through, ignoring everyone. For some reason I forgot I had this most of the time, which is good. The game was easy enough already.

In fact, my second playthrough won't use any active power aside from Blink 1...
There's an achievement for that- Beating the game without buying any upgrades or powers aside from level 1 blink.

OT: The most useful power has to be Blink. But the most awesome power is the rat swarm one.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
Blink. BLINK.

I love using it to teleport directly in front of enemies and gutting them like a fish before they have time to think.

I think I may have a problem... >.>

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Freeze Time is great for fucking with the guards. I like to do it and attach spring razors to the guards' face so that they all look like Bane, then stand back and watch the synchronised blood bath ensue.

The best thing is that on the hardest difficulty it's incredibly difficult to straight-up fight more than two (maybe three) guards at once, so all the crazy inventive shit actually becomes incredibly practical.

The Wykydtron said:
Yeah I agree with the assassins not counting, I was destroying them left and right through that entire section and I believe I got low Chaos. I did spare their leader though because i'm horribly indecisive on those things. Except the party mission, god. The non-lethal option was worse than death in my opinion... I just imagine she'd be tied up in some creepy stalker's basement with a shrine being built around her and shit. Maybe it's my overactive imagination but that was definitely the vibe I was getting.
If you speak to The Outsider before you do it then he says he foresees her dying or spending the rest of her life in the same clothes as they turn to rags (paraphrasing). So... yeah. Pretty accurate. I stabbed her through the gut in her bedroom instead. Kindness!