Poll: Fear of Needles?

Fingerprint

Elite Member
Oct 30, 2008
nikki191 said:
piers789 said:
As far as needles go I don't mind them, though I hate the feeling you get (in your arm) after giving blood.
the sore arm from being still for so long you mean?
Well, there is that but I was thinking of the sensation of having that much less blood. I've only given blood a few times so maybe you get used to it after giving blood more often.

Mackinator

Apr 21, 2009
Straitjacketeering said:
I'd rather take a baseball bat to the shoulder then a needle man.
Ouch.

I dont think needles are that bad, the last injection I got I didnt feel it until it was already done and it was pretty painless overall.

twistedshadows

Apr 26, 2009
No, I'm not afraid of needles. I like to watch when I get my blood drawn; I find the procedure interesting.
It would be unfortunate if I were afraid, considering I'm required to get my blood drawn every few months, and I've had to test my own blood.
I also have a few tattoos - I even gave myself one during my teen years, though it faded away.

reslik

Aug 29, 2008
i HATE needles, but i realy want lots of tattoos, it just sucks i cant be drunk when they do it :p

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
I don't mind having injections. I don't like them either. I know that they're for my own good, so I don't complain.

The worst one I've had was the one for TB. It scabbed over and bled and wept puss for about two weeks afterwards. That wasn't fun, I can tell you...

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Abedeus said:
I had to take an allergy shot every Wednesday for about 19 weeks in a row. The other time, I had blood samples taken 7 times in a month.
Try 3 times a week for 14 years. A lot of people are shocked when I reveal that.
I understand, there was a time where I had a shot everyday for 2 months, and then every two days. The beginning is the worst... Also, a lot depends on who makes the shot. One nurse could do it good and I didn't feel anything, bleeding stopped after 2 minutes... And there's another nurse, that hurts like hell and afterwards it bleeds for 5-10 minutes. Oh, and it swells a lot after she's done the shot.

Some people are just not meant for that.

Ghostkai

Jun 14, 2008
Used to. Back when I was a kid, but having injections for a trip to Malaysia other week, didn't bother me.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Abedeus said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Abedeus said:
I had to take an allergy shot every Wednesday for about 19 weeks in a row. The other time, I had blood samples taken 7 times in a month.
Try 3 times a week for 14 years. A lot of people are shocked when I reveal that.
I understand, there was a time where I had a shot everyday for 2 months, and then every two days. The beginning is the worst... Also, a lot depends on who makes the shot. One nurse could do it good and I didn't feel anything, bleeding stopped after 2 minutes... And there's another nurse, that hurts like hell and afterwards it bleeds for 5-10 minutes. Oh, and it swells a lot after she's done the shot.

Some people are just not meant for that.
When people like that give you the shot, you have to wonder how they ever became a nurse.

Simon Hadow

Mar 12, 2009
Scared as hell of those things, because when I was a child, I had to get rabies shots. And those fuckers hurt. Oh, yeah, and 34 other needles, because we were planning on being in Venezuela for 3 years... turns out we only went three months. So, long story short, I have a hatred of needles, and am currently immune to rabies.

TheEvilDuck

Mar 18, 2009
I don't have a problem with them, although they have a problem with me. Every time I have blood drawn or get a shot I either get woozy or pass out. Last time I had blood drawn they had to use smelling salts to wake me up, which are disgusting by the way DX.

It's not a fear thing, it's a physical reaction called "veso-vagal" or something like that. I think it also might have something to do with a blood clotting disorder I have. But it sucks.

TheEvilDuck

Mar 18, 2009
Simon Hadow said:
Scared as hell of those things, because when I was a child, I had to get rabies shots. And those fuckers hurt. Oh, yeah, and 34 other needles, because we were planning on being in Venezuela for 3 years... turns out we only went three months. So, long story short, I have a hatred of needles, and am currently immune to rabies.
Hoorah! Now you can pet all the raccoons you want! XD

TheEvilDuck

Mar 18, 2009
Straitjacketeering said:
I'd rather take a baseball bat to the shoulder then a needle man.
Needle Man sounds like a comic book villain from the sixties. Probably one who fought the Flash and/or Batman.

awmperry

Geek of Guns and Games
Apr 30, 2008
I have no problem with blood, but needles... eeek. Whenever I have a vaccination or blood test, I natter throughout to distract myself, then my blood pressure drops 15 mm and I have to lie down.

As for why... if it was rational it wouldn't be a phobia. I can have jabs now, I just find it incredibly unpleasant.

I Am Pigeon

Sep 25, 2008
As some other people said, I love needles. That feeling of them going into my arm is great! And watching the people who get scared of needles and cry and even faint while getting them just makes it funnier for me.

Liverandbacon

Nov 27, 2008
I got used to needles when I had to have regular injections for allergies some time ago. I actually kind of like injections now. And no, I'm not a heroin addict.