Poll: Female babysitter charged for having sex with 14-year old boy.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Providing Alcohol to a minor.
Drugging a minor.
Forced sexual congress with a drugged minor.
Dereliction of duty.

Twenty years.

Anything else is admitting that we have one rule for one and one for another.
How very true. Under the law all men (and women) are equal; there is no room for double standards, otherwise the law becomes a joke.

Alumatine

Aussie LAN'r
Jul 3, 2011
PeacanPie said:
I dunno, I feel the minor age is a really debatable thing. Firstly, being from England the consent age is 16. I find this more realistic and reasonable. But if you think about it, someone can be 17 and 364 days and someone can still be arrested for having sex with them. I find it highly unreasonable.
In regards to this case, it really depends on the details. Which at the moment all seems like speculation.
Agreed. The big issue for people from countries like ours is consensual sex rather than age. I find it more morally sound for a 14 year old to have sex with a 20 year old if both consent than if a 30 year old rapes another 30 year old. Age isn't as much of a factor as consent and context.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
Valagetti said:
ummm, why is a 14 year old being babysitted? That's more questioning... and we didn't even know it actually happened
My thoughts exactly. What parent thinks it is necessary to get a baby-sitter for their 14 year old son (assuming he was not mentally/socially/somethingly undeveloped), thereby making the assumption that the boy is not responsible enough to handle being alone, and then the parents go and hire an attractive member of the opposite sex who is only 20? That's like hiring a rusty, poisoned kitchen knife to baby sit your three year old.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Alumatine said:
Sonicron said:
otherwise the law becomes a joke.
Where have you been? You speak as if this is going to happen in the future? :p This time has come and gone.
Eh, seeing how I'm German I can't speak for the state of the law in other countries, as I've never been in direct contact with it. But I'll take your word for it. :p

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Alumatine said:
Like 20% of the posts in the last 5 pages have been "Where were these girls when we were 14..."

I think that, paired with the edit of the original post, kinda put this consensual aspects of this debate to rest in my opinion. :(

Kenbo Slice said:
*High five* I really want to shake that kids hand. I didn't have a babysitter when I was 14, but damn, that girl can babysit me anytime she wants. She won't be into me though, I'm the same age as her :p
We need a time machine my friend. :(
Yes we do :(. Maybe if we close our eyes and concentrate realllly hard we'll get one!

jyork89

Jun 29, 2010
The law is the law. If you have an issue with it, then call for the law to be changed. If the courts start stating that it isn't the law then it stuffs up the whole point of parliamentary sovereignty (or whatever you Americans call it). The courts are not elected by the people, they are appointed. They need to be flexible in their judgments without going against what the law says.

If the law says having sex with a minor is a crime then it is be a crime. And they need to be consistent regardless of gender, religion or race. Age is obviously a material fact in this case so that should affect the judgement. Gender is not material. If the courts continue throwing around wildly different penalties for what are effectively the same crimes, the only thing that is going to suffer is their credibility. I am pretty sure men have been imprisoned for the exact same thing this young woman has done.

Alumatine

Aussie LAN'r
Jul 3, 2011
Kenbo Slice said:
Alumatine said:
Like 20% of the posts in the last 5 pages have been "Where were these girls when we were 14..."

I think that, paired with the edit of the original post, kinda put this consensual aspects of this debate to rest in my opinion. :(

Kenbo Slice said:
*High five* I really want to shake that kids hand. I didn't have a babysitter when I was 14, but damn, that girl can babysit me anytime she wants. She won't be into me though, I'm the same age as her :p
Yes we do :(. Maybe if we close our eyes and concentrate realllly hard we'll get one!
If we're gonna close our eyes and wish for materialization of something important... cant we just wish for hot 20 year old girls? :p

...on another note, we may need to burn this thread after we're done here just incase my gf jumps on this pc... o.0

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
StBishop said:
At 14 I'd have tried to sleep with her, but that's why there's a law, 14 year olds are stupid/naive.

I don't care how attractive she is, she shouldn't have slept with him. If it'd been his girlfriend who was one year older than him and they were on either side of the legal age of consent, it'd be a different story.

You can't be allowing people to sleep with minors. Regardless of gender.

What if the kid is actually a homosexual, would this change your opinion of the case?

What if he were straight and it'd been a man?

What if it'd been a priest?

You can't just allow people to abuse children because you think the child wanted it. It's not a case by case basis of how hot they are.

This is probably one of the best responses so I'm going to go with this because I probably wouldn't be able to word it better.

Adam Grove said:
I think rehab/tons of comunty servic should be sufficent, besides she already has to deal with the embaressment of having this article online for the whole world to read
The community service, I get, but why on Earth would she need to go to rehab?

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Alumatine said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Alumatine said:

Kenbo Slice said:
If we're gonna close our eyes and wish for materialization of something important... cant we just wish for hot 20 year old girls? :p

...on another note, we may need to burn this thread after we're done here just incase my gf jumps on this pc... o.0
DON'T TAKE THIS AWAY FROM ME! Well the girl I'm kinda seeing is hot, but not 20...she's 19 :D

Alumatine

Aussie LAN'r
Jul 3, 2011
jyork89 said:
The law is the law. If you have an issue with it, then call for the law to be changed. If the courts start stating that it isn't the law then it stuffs up the whole point of parliamentary sovereignty (or whatever you Americans call it). The courts are not elected by the people, they are appointed. They need to be flexible in their judgments without going against what the law says.

If the law says having sex with a minor is a crime then it is be a crime. And they need to be consistent regardless of gender, religion or race. Age is obviously a material fact in this case so that should affect the judgement. Gender is not material. If the courts continue throwing around wildly different penalties for what are effectively the same crimes, the only thing that is going to suffer is their credibility. I am pretty sure men have been imprisoned for the exact same thing this young woman has done.
The law grows and adapts based on people seeing things in a new light. Different gender, different context, new light. The law will never be perfect but the law will always be archaic as long as people say "well that's the law...". Yes, it is the law, in your country at least but that doesn't meant we have to agree with it.

I'm not saying go out and protest for all 14 year olds to be laid by their baby sitters. -.- I'm just saying the world isn't as black and white as the law... that is a problem.

acosn

Sep 11, 2008
Probation (for both possession of alcohol, and giving it to a minor).

Honestly if you're under the age of 21 I'd say all bets are off in terms of laws surrounding the sex offender registry. At a certain point you really do just need to let kids be kids, and guess what? If they don't learn from their mistakes, they're never going to. You're setting pretty awful precedents with the expectation that the government will step in and manage your life for you.

Having sex with someone 6 years younger than you isn't a huge deal, but for a minor it's a lot different.

On the other hand this is something that should be a "get out of town it's so shameful" sort of thing. Normally I'd just say that all parties involved should own up to what they did (or rather, that one party) but I'm going to hazard a guess that the kid wasn't bothered by it one bit. In that sense it should be entirely on the part of the kid to do something about it. If you want to protect kids with laws you have to be willing to accept that they might not want those laws.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Saulkar said:
StBishop said:
Adam Grove said:
I think rehab/tons of comunty servic should be sufficent, besides she already has to deal with the embaressment of having this article online for the whole world to read
Saulkar said:
While I have no problem with underage sexual encounters between individuals (as long as it is wholly consensual with absolutely no coercion), there has to be a certain age limit to which this should be allowed, eg. A 20 year old woman/guy with a 14 year old girl/boy or vice verse compared to a 40 year old Guy/Girl with a 14 year old Guy/Girl. Personally I do not feel that any harm would come with an age gap of 6 years (progressively narrowing the gap the younger the people get) but I draw a hard line made of bricks and mortar when it comes to someone drugging a person to cognitively compromise them making it easier to coerce them, or to coerce them in general.

So in the end I feel that unless she did the boy any physical harm or caused extensive cognitive trauma, she should receive a (high) fine and community service.
[outdated pop culture reference]
Now drop down flip it and reverse it,[/outdated pop culture reference] you got a 20 year old bloke getting a 14 year old girl drunk and raping her.

If you feel that your response is still valid I don't really know what else to say.

In your mind imagine this dude:

with this girl:
What is the cognitive level of the girl?
Has the guy a history of violent acts or sexual assault?
What are their personality types?
Do not send me random pictures, give me a fully evaluated description of the two people you showed (those two specific people). I cannot tell shit from looking at them. People think I am a 30 year old steroid pushing rivet head biker but I am a 19 year old Jim Carry who likes leather. Would you tell that just by looking at me?

This makes me believe further in a system that evaluates an individual on their mental and sexual aptitude and development. Say you have someone who wants to start having sex under age say 12 or 13 but you do not know how capable they are. In that case I believe there should be an specialized aptitude test that evaluates an individual and determines whether or not they are ready. In the event that the individual wants to have a sexual encounter with someone who is like 5-10 years older than them, those people should also be (anonymously unless they commit a crime) registered following a similar test (more like an interview followed by a period of observation as a written test can easily be cheated) so that not only do you have a face, you have an ID that can allow you to track them down quickly. But none the less with such a complicated system many more might just forgo it and commit the act illegally. Here in Canada there was much opposition towards the age of consent being raised from 14 to 16. Reason being is because it would do nothing to stop underage sex and because it was made illegal, rape and abuse victims would be less likely to report it as they had broken the law.

The age of consent law in itself is all encompassing rather than tailored to the individual as not all people are created equal.
I don't know them, I just googled "Creepy 20 year old guy" and "young teen" to illustrate my point.

What I'm getting at is that regardless of gender or "hotness" she's commited a crime that would be seen as horrific if the genders had been reversed, and that based only on the facts we've been given the only logical option is (in my opinion) incarceration.

Sure there are kids who're ready to have sex at 14, they're not the rule though, they're the exception. I think plenty of people wish they'd waited to lose their virginity, just as there are probably people who wish it'd happened earlier.

The thing is, it's easier and safer to legislate on the side of caution with children rather than have a very subjective system which is wide open to abuse.

Also, on the topic of abuse victims worrying about breaking the law. I have never heard of an abuse victim worrying about that, ever. I may not know of a great deal of cases but that tends to be further down the lists of priorities, somewhere after the perp not being put away and things getting worse etc.

Instinct Blues

Jun 8, 2008
She shouldn't go to jail for this, but she needs to be put on the sex offender list because what she did was wrong. I don't care how good looking she is it probably will end up scarring that poor kid for life. I mean he probably won't be able to have a normal relationship after this being used by girl.

Feb 9, 2011
I love all the double standards in this thread. Fucking ridiculous...

She committed a felony, she should be tossed in prison like anybody else. If the genders were swapped, rehab wouldn't even be on the table. Everyone would want to throw the guy under the bus and watch him bleed.

Toss her in prison and be done with it. It is not okay to treat her any different. It's disgusting that we even entertain the notion that this is reasonably acceptable.

MazdaXR

Mar 16, 2011
Sonicron said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Providing Alcohol to a minor.
Drugging a minor.
Forced sexual congress with a drugged minor.
Dereliction of duty.

Twenty years.

Anything else is admitting that we have one rule for one and one for another.
How very true. Under the law all men (and women) are equal; there is no room for double standards, otherwise the law becomes a joke.
There are plenty of double standards in the law, first of all men can perform rape women cannot, they merely perform sexual assault.

Anyway I think this is really debatable it depends in plenty of countries this would be legal (Italy for example) where the age for consent is 14. Its only a 5 year difference after all both are still teenagers. In England it would be legal in just two years. But then the law is the law and they ran the risk in their own country. saying that the age of consent in america is one of the highest around. I'm on the fence with this one to be honest. but the guy is a LAD!!!

thePyro_13

Sep 6, 2008
If it were a 20 year old guy and a 14 year old girl, you wouldn't even be asking.

She should go to jail, or face whatever sentence is usually prescribed for this offence.

Interestingly, the age of consent(nationwide, can be overruled by local law) in Japan is only 13, this wouldn't even be a crime there. Even more interestingly their law specifically references female victims when defining underage rape, leaving male victims up the creek without a paddle(based only on Wikipedia's "age of consent" entry).