Poll: Females: have you ever pretended to be male while online

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
You girls need to form a 'Girls Only' clan.

No political affiliation or social ideology (Silicone Sisters can fuck RIGHT off with their "what girls want"), just a place where girls don't have to worry about guys treating them weirdly.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Mariena said:
It can get this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRkao-gyZC0] bad.

:/
...I had to stop watching that or risk giving in to the urge to gnaw my own head off. Ugh. I'll admit I was not exactly the cool, calm and collected type when I was that young, but I'd have had to stoop exceptionally low to go there.

I've done raiding in World of Warcraft with several women (confirmed via Ventrilo), and others are on the OOC chat channels I hang out in (several of them are mothers); I've also played online shooters with women who were competent shots and good teammates. To me, they're just other players.

Of course, telling teenage boys to get over themselves is doomed to failure, as the entirety of human history will attest.

MidnightCat

Jul 21, 2009
Not really. I made a male Worgen to play though the starting area when Cata was first released, and I told some idiot once that I was a guy to stop him following me (didn't work, he was bloody persistent). But that's about it.

That video really depresses me, and it gets much worse - more examples of harassment can be found here [http://fatuglyorslutty.com/]. So glad I don't use XBL.

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
Nimcha said:
I'm ashamed to admit that I have done this. I found in some online game that people took me a lot more seriously when I had a blue tag next to my name indicating I was male. It was kinda funny though, I could really lay it on thick and nobody suspected a thing ;D
I'm genuinely curious: What does 'lay it on thick' mean in this context? That you'd be really really 'girly' at them? In the sense of cultural girl type things? Or am I misunderstanding what you meant here? Maybe just some other way strongly indicating you were a girl without outright saying it? Ala "My boyfriend blah blah" or "My period starts tomorrow and..."

TechPulse

Apr 17, 2011
MidnightCat said:
Not really. I made a male Worgen to play though the starting area when Cata was first released, and I told some idiot once that I was a guy to stop him following me (didn't work, he was bloody persistent). But that's about it.

That video really depresses me, and it gets much worse - more examples of harassment can be found here [http://fatuglyorslutty.com/]. So glad I don't use XBL.
Best way to get by XBL is to block voice and text communications with anyone who isn't your friend.

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
As a guy, I have pretended to be a girl in some FPS' as I know how fucked off people get if a girl starts killing everybody sometimes. Male pride is easy trolling times.

Such a sausage fest on these types of games, I welcome any female company in the appropriate-non-horny-pubescent sensible way.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
I play, or played a few Games over the Years where some female Players were present. Those range from MMO to FPS really. Whenever i was on Teamspeak with my Clan, and we did have a couple of female Members, or with the Guild in some MMO, or just randomly over some ingame Voice Chat, well i usually just refer to my first line i say at that point. "There are no Women on the Internet". Thats not meant towards them as me being sexist towards them or the like, its just that there is no Gender to begin with, there is just People. Gender exists in Reality, its a Concept for Reproduction Purposes and has no bearing on how i interact or react towards People, be they male or female.

Most so far have chuckled at it and Gender was never mentioned again after that Point. Im not some Person who somehow projects some Ego onto being killed by a bunch of Pixels in some FPS just because the Person controlling that set of pixels is female, or male for that matter, for all i care it could be a very intelligent Dog playing against me at that point.

That being said, i have seen, or rather heard, such sexist Remarks as were pointed out in the Video a little further up (cant be arsed to quote now) so yeah i understand where females are coming from. The Irony is that a whole lot of Players in any Type of Game are actually female and you wouldnt suggest it. If i would take a rough estimate, i'd consider at least 30% of all People i have seen online, in a Game, Forum or whatever to be female, quite likely more.

I think its that most Guys just cant deal with the Fact that the object of their physical attraction (i was going to make a remark about their chests but decided not to) is beating them at a game, or isnt interested in them at all, or whatever the case may be.

Also, i got way too longwinded there so..*runs for the Door*

alittlepepper

Feb 14, 2010
I do it pretty often on Xbox live, but not often as much on just. The internet. I usually leave my usernames relatively vague, however, and if people don't ask me I (usually) don't point it out. Personal gender identification isn't something I really care about unless it might be inconvenient. I'm just...here, you know? :p

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
I don't say I'm a guy, but I don't admit I'm a girl either. I also don't chat unless it's someone I know.
Playing on XBL when people know you're a girl is just torture sometimes. Experienced it a couple of times. Never...again.

I think the worst type of harrassment I've heard of for girls is on CoD. Personally haven't experienced it, but I've heard some really disturbing stories.

TechPulse

Apr 17, 2011
Oh, and I apologize as well about my genders repeat harassment of girls. It is somewhat disturbing to see and hear these things...

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
My wife won't play with the microphone on pretty much any game. One is the obvious harassment. 2nd is she has a slight (southeastern) french accent which most people can't seem to identify but still hate. She often gets harassed for being either 'Mexican' 'towel head' or a 'Terrorist' if not for being female.
Though she long ago sold her xbox360 and now just uses ps3, there the issues have not come up.

I know she's told a few people she's a girl on WoW and no one has bothered her except one incident. She explained that her husband and 3 of his brothers were all cops over 6 1/2 feet tall and that ended that.

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
Treblaine said:
You girls need to form a 'Girls Only' clan.

No political affiliation or social ideology (Silicone Sisters can fuck RIGHT off with their "what girls want"), just a place where girls don't have to worry about guys treating them weirdly.
Unfortunately, that's yet another disaster waiting to happen -_-'

I like guys. As long as they treat me equal, and they're funny and witty. Those guys are fun to play with. That usually includes goons (people from Something Awful). Those are mature, and waaay past the stage to hit on girls online, if they ever had that urge in their life.

A girl only group is just so.. boring. And still I find a lot of girls to be "oh, tee-hee ^_^ how do I play this again? Boy I'm bad at this! LOL!". That's fine, and you're still a really great girl and nice person! I just get a little bit ticked off if my team is performing really bad. That's my problem, and I guess I'm sometimes more of a lone wolf than a team player. But still.

It also attracts those smug "feminist" types that like to berate the men for being men.

Just my experience, no real facts.

TechPulse

Apr 17, 2011
AbstractStream said:
I think the worst type of harrassment I've heard of for girls is on CoD. Personally haven't experienced it, but I've heard some really disturbing stories.
CoD is the worst...I must say the best experience you'll probably ever receive on Xbox LIVE is on some of the smaller, less played games...CoD, which has bullshit running through the veins of the community, and everyone who plays just gets more and more pissed each and every match, comes up with some of the most provocative things ever.

I had my girlfriend playing once, and I just wouldn't give her the mic, so finally when I stepped away for the restroom she took the mic and whatnot, and when I returned she was like, about to cry at the shit the guys were saying on there...Never again, will I let her use the mic on any CoD game ever in existence...

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
MidnightCat said:

Wow. That's just awful. Sometimes I think I picked the wrong hobby. Lol.

Likewise, glad I don't use XBL.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Zechnophobe said:
Nimcha said:
I'm ashamed to admit that I have done this. I found in some online game that people took me a lot more seriously when I had a blue tag next to my name indicating I was male. It was kinda funny though, I could really lay it on thick and nobody suspected a thing ;D
I'm genuinely curious: What does 'lay it on thick' mean in this context? That you'd be really really 'girly' at them? In the sense of cultural girl type things? Or am I misunderstanding what you meant here? Maybe just some other way strongly indicating you were a girl without outright saying it? Ala "My boyfriend blah blah" or "My period starts tomorrow and..."
No quite the opposite, acting as 'manly' as possible! Constantly talking about beer, chicks and mostertrucks and such.

Of course, the fact that I actually do like those things helped my credibility.

Blair Bennett

Jan 25, 2008
It wasn't so much that I pretended I was male as it was I never let on that I was female. I did this all the time when I played online MMOs. You see, whenever I even mentioned the possibility of possessing female genitalia, I would be met with nothing other than an endless stream of sexual slurs and copulation requests. 9 year old me didn't know how to handle that, so I eventually decided that the best course of action was to avoid the situation altogether.

The CAPTCHA has umlauts...what the hell? Whatever! It's been vanquished by the alt function.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
I had a female friend who played male horde characters only because she didn't find them nice looking.

I tend to assume everyone I meet on the internet to be male. However, in HoN, if someone is playing a female hero, for some reason I assume they're a female person, likewise with MMOs. Is this some sort of immersion?

I tend to get along with all female members of clans/guilds, well the ones who don't accuse me being sexist because 'it's sexist' that I speak to them like I would a fellow bloke. Ladies tend to have better imaginations then men and appreciate witty banter more. Men are so srs.

In reference to the link TF2 video. I personally disable in-game VoIP because I find people are shit. They also talk shit. Shit is easier to manage if it's in text because your eyes don't have to look at it. Usually you'll have a bloke with a very bad microphone or some very unnerving sounding man. This has nothing to do with sexism. It's just human beings in general in annonymous situations.

Besides, I go on Mumble with people who I *like* and *know*.

Khuzaki

Nov 9, 2010
I'm a guy, who has a few female friends online, and I don't think they've ever had incidents but I myself have been harassed on female characters with male names even >_>
I reading through this thread makes me feel almost ashamed to be male