Poll: Firearms F.A.Q. IRL Edition (read first post if you are entering thread for the first time)

TMAN10112

Jul 4, 2008
skywalkerlion said:
What's the most powerful handgun you can get a license to carry?
It would probably be the Smith & Wesson Model 500.

skywalkerlion

Jun 21, 2009
TMAN10112 said:
skywalkerlion said:

Lolz, just wondering if it was the 44 magnum like good ol' Clint Eastwood hath said.

TMAN10112

Jul 4, 2008
skywalkerlion said:
TMAN10112 said:
skywalkerlion said:

Lolz, just wondering if it was the 44 magnum like good ol' Clint Eastwood hath said.
Well, he was right at the time he said it, but not since S&W decided to 1-up the .44 magnum back in '03.

Stickyreiss

Aug 19, 2009
TMAN10112 said:
skywalkerlion said:
TMAN10112 said:
skywalkerlion said:

Well, he was right at the time he said it, but not since S&W decided to 1-up the .44 magnum back in '03.
the largest handgun I know of is this, Fires .50 BMG

I couldn't find a direct comparison of .50 BMG to .500 S&W
so here is a .50 BMG, next to a 7.62 , 12 Ga. , .357 magnum , .45 ACP , and a .22LR

TMAN10112

Jul 4, 2008
Stickyreiss said:
TMAN10112 said:
skywalkerlion said:
TMAN10112 said:
skywalkerlion said:

*snipity*

so here is a .50 BMG, next to a 7.62 , 12 Ga. , .357 magnum , .45 ACP , and a .22LR

*snip*
......Is...is that possible to shoot?

Spacelord

May 7, 2008
I just love looking at all these pictures. ^^

Don't own one myself, I live in a country with gun control, and pretty happy about that. Still really like looking at guns though. I guess that's a guy thing, right? :)

Stickyreiss

Aug 19, 2009
TMAN10112 said:
Stickyreiss said:
TMAN10112 said:
skywalkerlion said:
TMAN10112 said:
skywalkerlion said:

*snipity*

*snip*
......Is...is that possible to shoot?
yep

TheParagon

Feb 17, 2010
skywalkerlion said:
As far as I am aware, the most powerful handgun that has been produced is a custom-made Pfeifer-Zeliska single action revolver, chambered for .600 Nitro Express.

The largest calibre in-production handgun would be S&W's Model 500, however. There was some talk of S&W doing a .75 calibre weapon, but that's likely idle speculation.

(Also, g'day to everyone).

EDIT: When I say 'produced' I am referring to a weapon manufactured by an established firearms manufacturing firm. There have been a number of 'home-bench' and small firm (essentially still home-bench, in most cases) .50BMG projects, dating right back to the 90s. I recently found a .50BMG revolver project from a small Midwestern-US firm, but very few details - if anyone knows something, that'd be interesting.

clutch-monkey

Jan 19, 2010
couldn't find other thread
i need feedback from anyone with a swiss K31 straight pull bolt action. good, bad, weak action, reliable, etc etc
also can you ream out 6.5x55 swedish to the 7.5x55 the swiss used.

OMGMOO

Feb 19, 2010
I'd like to know the main differences between the Colt M1911 and the H&K USP and which one you think to be superior.

Thanks, Moo

TheParagon

Feb 17, 2010
OMGMOO said:
I'd like to know the main differences between the Colt M1911 and the H&K USP and which one you think to be superior.

Thanks, Moo

Well, there are a whole bunch of differences. First - and foremost - it's important to recognise that it is usually very difficult to say which firearm is 'superior' to any other without knowing it's intended purpose. I'm sure that on here, and many other places around the net, you'll find a lot of people who like both the USP and it's variants, and the 1911 and it's clones.

**Differences**

Without getting too technical, there are some key differences. First of all the 1911 you're referring to is probably chambered in .45ACP; almost all 1911s and clones are. The Heckler & Koch USP, however, is available in 9mmP, .357SIG, .40S&W and .45ACP. So, straight away there is possibly a discrepancy in calibre.

If we take a 9mm USP for example then (without getting into the various models) and compare it to a fairly 'stock' 1911 (again, without broadening the comparison too much, say a Colt Government series 1911) there are a few more obvious points of difference.

1. Technically speaking, both pistols are recoil-operated (USP is short recoil-operated), locked breech, semiautomatic pistols. However (and I'm sure someone will object to me saying this), the standard USP is notably more accurate than a stock Colt Government 1911 - even in the same calibre, to say nothing of the inherently more-controllable 9mmP round.

2. The full-frame USP accepts 15-round magazines as compared to the 1911's 7 rounds.

3. Depending on the model you select, the USP generally has a double action trigger with a decocking lever, as compared to the 1911's single action trigger and grip safety. If you're not familiar with SA/DA triggers, Wiki gives a pretty reasonable if simple overview - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigger_(firearms)

4. Unloaded, the USP weighs approximately 750g, as compared to a 1911, which typically weighs in at around a kilo.

5. A 'tactical' model USP generally costs around $1000.00 USD, whereas a Colt Goverment generally costs around $900.00 USD. A 'high-end' 1911 clone can tip $3,000.00 USD.

**Short-ish version**

USP - more accurate, more ammo, less stopping power, (most models) readily accept accessories

1911 - more stopping power, less ammo, less accurate, harder to break

Bear in mind that all of this goes out the window depending on which manufacturer and model of 1911 (or USP for that matter) you are referring to. For example, Kimber, Les Baer and STI all make very highly regarded 1911 clones. You can find clones in all sorts of calibres, from .22LR to .50GI, clones with double-stack magazines and clones with DA or DAO triggers. Not to mention that some of these are EXTREMELY accurate match guns.

The 1911 is one of the most popular pistols of all time, so naturally there have been a number of clones produced, many custom guns, and plenty of unusual modifications.

**So what?**

As for which is 'superior' - like I said, it's difficult to give an opinion without knowing it's intended purpose. That said, a list of users helps to show the relative merits. The 1911 was in conventional US military service from 1911 until the mid-1980s. Highly accurised, and expensive, 1911 clones still serve with some units today, apparently including 1SFOD-D (Delta Force), as well as LAPD SWAT and the FBI's Hostage Rescue Team (HRT).

The USP adopted by the German military in 1994, and has also found a home with the armed forces of a number of other European militaries, and police forces around the world. Members of various SEAL teams have also been photographed with .45 USP Compacts a number of times. Also, it's important to remember a professional model USP can be as low as one-third of the price of a high-end 1911.

Generally, the USP is regarded as a good 'service pistol', it is relatively easy to maintain, has a good support base from H&K, is easy to train and familiarise new shooters with, is reasonably well priced and is quite a comfortable weight.

**My Thoughts**

On a personal note, having shot both, I found the 1911 (I forget exactly which manufacturer produced the one I fired) a little more difficult to point, and a little heavy, but that made the recoil surprisingly manageable. It also had a very distinctive 'feel' to it, and was definitely enjoyable and reasonably accurate - and the fault was probably with my inexperience, rather than the gun. The USP I fired was a USP Expert in 9mm, which I found comfortable and very easy to point. It was also accurate and very controllable, although this is partially a virtue of the ammunition. I would definitely place both weapons on a short list of pistols I'd like to own, though personally I'm partial SIGs.

Anyhow, there's a whole bowl of food for thought - let me know if you have any other questions.

EDIT: I haven't mentioned above any of the *cheaper* 1911 clones, of which there are many. A lot of these are considerably less accurate and less reliable.

MattyDienhoff

Jan 3, 2008
Ontoue said:
I'm not reading through 13 pages to see if this has been asked, so:

What is the difference between a clip and a magazine?
I know you've already been answered, but I thought you might appreciate a more detailed and more definitive explanation.

A magazine is an essential component in every magazine-fed firearm (i.e. the vast majority of guns used today). The magazine is the device in which ammunition is stored and from which it is fed into the mechanism. It could be integral (such as the magazine of a bolt-action rifle, the tube magazine of a pump-action shotgun, or even the cylinder of a revolver-type weapon) or detachable (such as the detachable box magazines of most semi-automatic pistols and rifles).

A 'clip', of which there are several types, is simply anything that holds loose ammunition together, just like a paperclip holds paper together. Stripper clips and moon clips are good examples of such devices. Clips hold several rounds together as a unit, speeding up the process of loading magazines, but they're not required for the weapon in question to function. Simply put, they're a reloading aid, nothing more.

The M1 Garand is the only exception to this rule that I know of. It's an odd case because its 'en-bloc' clip is inserted into the integral magazine along with the ammunition, and the clip must be present for the weapon to work. This gun is probably the source of much of the confusion between the two terms.

The exception that is the M1 Garand aside, this is the rule:

* Magazines hold ammunition AND feed it into the chamber.
* Clips hold loose ammunition together to make it easier to feed it into a magazine.

clutch-monkey

Jan 19, 2010
Pyromaniac1337 said:
Probably been asked before but:

Factoring in recoil and only recoil, can the FN P90 be dual-wielded?
it allegedly has less recoil than 9mm submachine guns (apparently has two thirds the recoil energy of a 9mm round, so... maybe?
also
clutch-monkey said:
couldn't find other thread
i need feedback from anyone with a swiss K31 straight pull bolt action. good, bad, weak action, reliable, etc etc
also can you ream out 6.5x55 swedish to the 7.5x55 the swiss used.
thanks

e2density

Dec 25, 2009
I'm a huge gun fanatic...
I can't stand it when people make a mistake about them, even if it's minor I'll correct them.

TMAN10112

Jul 4, 2008
Pyromaniac1337 said:
Probably been asked before but:

Factoring in recoil and only recoil, can the FN P90 be dual-wielded?
Technically yes.
The problem with Duel-wielding isn't so much if you can do it, but if you can hit anything.

brtshstel

Dec 16, 2008
What are the key differences between the Grewehr 41 and the Gewehr 43? What was the key advantage the latter had over the former that allowed it to be chosen by the Wehrmacht?

is it true the US Marines used the M1903 Springfield as an infantry rifle before getting their issue of Garands in the early days of WWII?