Poll: Firearms F.A.Q. IRL Edition (read first post if you are entering thread for the first time)

clutch-monkey

Jan 19, 2010
brtshstel said:
is it true the US Marines used the M1903 Springfield as an infantry rifle before getting their issue of Garands in the early days of WWII?
iirc yeah the army got the garands while the marines still had springfields fro awhile.
specifically at guadalcanal the army boys had to tie down their M1's so the marines couldn't get steal them :D
there is one quote from an army grunt on joint patrol, asked why the marine was right up his ass the whole time "as soon as you catch it bud i'm taking that nice rifle of yours"

TheParagon

Feb 17, 2010
MattyDienhoff said:
The M1 Garand is the only exception to this rule that I know of.
Interestingly, there were quite a few weapons of the pre-garand period that utilised en-bloc clips. The most interesting (in my opinion) was the Garand's main competitor for the US Army trials of the time, the Pedersen Rifle. It utilised the at-the-time-innovative .276 Pedersen cartridge in a similar manner to the Garand. Funnily enough, it also looked for a while as if it were going to be sold to the Imperial Japanese Army, prior to WWII.

TheParagon

Feb 17, 2010
brtshstel said:
What are the key differences between the Grewehr 41 and the Gewehr 43? What was the key advantage the latter had over the former that allowed it to be chosen by the Wehrmacht?
The main improvement was to the gas system, greatly improving the reliability and combat durablity of the rifle.

Also of note was the transition to removable 10-round box magazines, rather than non-removable ones. The 43 was also a little shorter, and about 200g lighter.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
Steelfists said:
Stickyreiss said:
Steelfists said:

That thing is just too damn huge.

OT: Justify the right to bear arms in the USA when the firearms murder rate is substantialy lower in countries where the average citizen cannot own a gun, and specifically handguns.
majorly simplified answer: If owning guns is a criminal act, law abiding citizens will not have them, the majority criminals however will not be stopped. Then, how do we defend ourselves in a threatening situation? I can go on if you want, thats just the one of the strongest points IMO.
*EDIT*
My most recent paper was actually about the firearms policies in america, and i can post excerpts if requested
That argument comes up a lot, and I always think that it is very unlikely that the ordinary citizen would be able to effectively defend himself or herself when faced with a criminal with a gun, AND if the country's prohibition laws work properly, the average criminal will either not have access to a gun or would not use the gun to rob an ordinary citizen.

I think the last point is key.

And to answer AlexTheBucket I was talking to a judge yesterday and he said that most countries have constitutions (he was talking about how the UK doesn't have a constitution).
You said "if the countries prohibition laws work correctly." The problem is, they generally don't.

Liqour (beer, whiskey, vodka) kills 7 times as many people in the United States as guns. More people have their lives taken from them by drunk drivers than guns. So way back at the start of the 1900's we said, "Hey! Let's ban liqour!" It didn't work. Then we said, "Hey, let's ban marijuana and cocaine!" It didn't work. banning guns has not worked either. Britain's crime rate rose after guns were banned, Australia's crime rate rose after guns were heavily regulated....I could go on, but banning guns tends to increase crime rather than decrease it.

Of course, on top of this, there is also the fact that the government itself will eventually become corrupt over the course of the centuries and try to enslave us, and that public gun ownership prevents this.

Stickyreiss

Aug 19, 2009
clutch-monkey said:
couldn't find other thread
i need feedback from anyone with a swiss K31 straight pull bolt action. good, bad, weak action, reliable, etc etc
also can you ream out 6.5x55 swedish to the 7.5x55 the swiss used.
K31's are God Tier in all categories
I'm not sure about your second question, but IMO 6.5x55mm > 7.5x55mm

OMGMOO said:
I'd like to know the main differences between the Colt M1911 and the H&K USP and which one you think to be superior.

Thanks, Moo

Pyromaniac1337 said:
Probably been asked before but:

Factoring in recoil and only recoil, can the FN P90 be dual-wielded?
yes, but you'd be a moron to dual wield ANYTHING and you won't hit shit unless you train every day for years.
also, P90's aren't available to civilians in the states, just the PS90, which has a considerably longer barrel and is only Semi-auto.

brtshstel said:
What are the key differences between the Grewehr 41 and the Gewehr 43? What was the key advantage the latter had over the former that allowed it to be chosen by the Wehrmacht?

is it true the US Marines used the M1903 Springfield as an infantry rifle before getting their issue of Garands in the early days of WWII?
better construction and materials, higher quality, more reliable, probably more accurate.

I'm going to start a new game, I'm going to find images of heavily mutilated firearms and you try to guess it. prizes include cookies and kudos

Round 1

(yeah, that is the tip of a bullet poking out of the receiver)

clutch-monkey

Jan 19, 2010
man i'd love to see the in flight characteristics of that bullet LOL
looks like a HK90 or something severely cut down :S

thanks for feedback on K31, it is ridiculously mint..will ask around regarding ammo resizing, already have a 6.5 swedish see :D

Stickyreiss

Aug 19, 2009
clutch-monkey said:

thanks for feedback on K31, it is ridiculously mint..will ask around regarding ammo resizing, already have a 6.5 swedish see :D
close
also if you resize a mint k31 i will find you and punch you, because you just dont do that with such a beautiful historical weapon

clutch-monkey

Jan 19, 2010
Stickyreiss said:
clutch-monkey said:

close
also if you resize a mint k31 i will find you and punch you, because you just dont do that with such a beautiful historical weapon
not the weapon the ammunition
the basic dimensions seem similar so if it's just a case of reaming the 6.5swedish out to 7.5 then ammo for the K31 suddenly got cheaper...

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
MacNille said:
I would like to know if the Ak-5 is a good assault-rifle or not (it's the basic Assault Rilfe for the Swedeish army)
Having never fired or handled one myself, I can't comment too heavily. However, from what I do know and could find out, I'll say the following of the basic model.

Ammo-wise, it's a bit outdated. 5.56x45 NATO is a basic rifle-slug, but doesn't have any significant strenghts or weaknesses, aside from what a lighter rounds tend to have: doesn't do too well against targets behind heavy cover (like a thick tree) because once the bullets hits something solid, their trajectory becomes fairly unpredictable;on the other hand, when it hits a something you want dead, the actual body cavity and fragmentation effects and thus damage dealt is slightly better than equally old, heavier rifle rounds.

It simply doesn't matter too much against your average target: a hit from a 5.56x45 is just as deadly as one from a 7.62x39.

Mag capacity is average.

Dimensions: perhaps a bit long in comparison to many other models, but not by much. However, combined with the weight of the weapon (3.9kg without a mag) might make AK-5 a tad unwieldy for urban warfare or enclosed spaces - that's a fairly heavy assault rifle and the weight saving of a smaller caliber ammo doesn't really show. It might help with the overall recoil though, can't say for certain.

All in all, pretty average if perhaps a tad heavy assault rifle based on older principles with standard performance parameters. Nothing to get too exited about, but no glaring faults or flaws either. I naturally can't comment on the ease (or lackthereof) of cleaning and maintaining it, or it's reliability. I am slightly concerned about how the Swedes plan to fight in dense wooden areas with that small bullet and the high changes in trajectory it experiences when it hits anything.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
Stickyreiss said:
I'm going to start a new game, I'm going to find images of heavily mutilated firearms and you try to guess it. prizes include cookies and kudos

Round 1

Jesus fuck.

Looks like an MP5a3 lower receiver and a G3/HK91 top, and two magazines botched together :/

Hows about this one?
:p

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
internetzealot1 said:
What's the difference between a magazine and a clip? I have an idea, but I want to be sure.
A magazine is an ammunition storage and feeding device within or attached to a repeating firearm. Magazines may be integral to the firearm (fixed) or removable (detachable).

Such as:

A clip is a device that is used to store multiple rounds of ammunition together as a unit, ready for insertion into the magazine of a repeating firearm. This speeds up the process of loading the firearm as several rounds can be loaded at once, rather than one round being loaded at a time.

Example:

jackknife402

Aug 25, 2008
Steelfists said:

OT: Justify the right to bear arms in the USA when the firearms murder rate is substantialy lower in countries where the average citizen cannot own a gun, and specifically handguns.
check out stabbing murders and sickening torture murders, they even out. Just because the method of the murder is different, doesn't mean people will kill eachother less. We're very resourceful creature, name a random item in the room with you right now and I can tell you exactly how to kill someoene with it.

Steelfists

Aug 6, 2008
jackknife402 said:
Steelfists said:

check out stabbing murders and sickening torture murders, they even out. Just because the method of the murder is different, doesn't mean people will kill eachother less. We're very resourceful creature, name a random item in the room with you right now and I can tell you exactly how to kill someoene with it.
True, true. I don't want to go into this more because this has developed into a proper thread about guns and I don't want to ruin it with more politics.

Stickyreiss

Aug 19, 2009
clutch-monkey said:
Stickyreiss said:
clutch-monkey said:

close
not the weapon the ammunition
the basic dimensions seem similar so if it's just a case of reaming the 6.5swedish out to 7.5 then ammo for the K31 suddenly got cheaper...
but you would need to resize (refit?) the receiver and barrel and magazine. I would hate you forever.

Stickyreiss

Aug 19, 2009
Wadders said:
Stickyreiss said:

Round 1

Jesus fuck.

Looks like an MP5a3 lower receiver and a G3/HK91 top, and two magazines botched together :/

Hows about this one?
:p
Its an H&K but not the right model.
and that's the Remington 1740 (870+870) :3

SakSak said:
internetzealot1 said:
What's the difference between a magazine and a clip? I have an idea, but I want to be sure.
A magazine is an ammunition storage and feeding device within or attached to a repeating firearm. Magazines may be integral to the firearm (fixed) or removable (detachable).
-snip-
A clip is a device that is used to store multiple rounds of ammunition together as a unit, ready for insertion into the magazine of a repeating firearm. This speeds up the process of loading the firearm as several rounds can be loaded at once, rather than one round being loaded at a time.
-snip-
Yep, and a simpler explaination: A magazine is the device that feeds rounds into the receiver; a clip feeds rounds (en masse) into the magazine.

SakSak said:
MacNille said:
I would like to know if the Ak-5 is a good assault-rifle or not (it's the basic Assault Rilfe for the Swedeish army)
Having never fired or handled one myself, I can't comment too heavily. However, from what I do know and could find out, I'll say the following of the basic model.

Ammo-wise, it's a bit outdated. 5.56x45 NATO is a basic rifle-slug, but doesn't have any significant strenghts or weaknesses, aside from what a lighter rounds tend to have: doesn't do too well against targets behind heavy cover (like a thick tree) because once the bullets hits something solid, their trajectory becomes fairly unpredictable;on the other hand, when it hits a something you want dead, the actual body cavity and fragmentation effects and thus damage dealt is slightly better than equally old, heavier rifle rounds.

It simply doesn't matter too much against your average target: a hit from a 5.56x45 is just as deadly as one from a 7.62x39.

Mag capacity is average.

Dimensions: perhaps a bit long in comparison to many other models, but not by much. However, combined with the weight of the weapon (3.9kg without a mag) might make AK-5 a tad unwieldy for urban warfare or enclosed spaces - that's a fairly heavy assault rifle and the weight saving of a smaller caliber ammo doesn't really show. It might help with the overall recoil though, can't say for certain.

All in all, pretty average if perhaps a tad heavy assault rifle based on older principles with standard performance parameters. Nothing to get too exited about, but no glaring faults or flaws either. I naturally can't comment on the ease (or lackthereof) of cleaning and maintaining it, or it's reliability. I am slightly concerned about how the Swedes plan to fight in dense wooden areas with that small bullet and the high changes in trajectory it experiences when it hits anything.
I agree with you, just gonna add, looks like it was heavily influenced by the FN Herstal FAL