Poll: Fish. Battered, Crumbed, Seared or other?

Greg White

Sep 19, 2012
Deep fried with hush puppies for catfish, pike, and the like, generally grilled otherwise.

Never understood why newspaper would be used to wrap them up.

Sep 9, 2007
Not at all, if I can help it. I got severe food poisoning from fish when I was younger. Smelling it is fine, but I get really queasy if I even nibble on a small piece of fish.

SillySam

Mar 15, 2011
I came for the 'sear' option in the title, and found no such thing :<
And the lack of 'steamed' option makes me very sad as well :'(

Joking aside, I have no preference, so 'other' for me
While I can enjoy fish occasionally, I don't really like it, perhaps due the method it's usually cooked in my family: steamed whole, (lots of) bone in
But my time in Australia did make me quite fond of the battered variety, with a side of chips

Mar 30, 2010
Definitely battered, with chips, onion rings, mushy peas and tartar sauce. And, if you're getting them from a chippy worth their salt (har har), a small pot of scraps too.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Broiled or Baked
No batter or crumbs please.

But out if those choices: BBQ'd

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
BBQ'd salmon over a cedar plank is truly fantastic.

Fish and chips are also good, but I can't eat most of them anymore due to be Celiac now.

I also love sushi.

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
Tilapia : steamed.
Salmon / Tuna: panfried / Grilled / sashimi.
Others: panfried.

LifelessArt

Jun 6, 2013
By order:

1) Battered
2) Fried
3) Seared
4) Grilled

I absolutely love fish, Tilapia and Perch being my all time favorites. Now all I have to do is try Sushi to see if I like it.

Dang it! Now I really want some fish XD!

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Smoked fish is great. Particularly salmon, I've found. Well worth it.

You should give it a go, OP. Can't imagine it being too difficult to find. It's an odd taste, but damn lovely.

Mar 30, 2010
Muspelheim said:

You should give it a go, OP. Can't imagine it being too difficult to find. It's an odd taste, but damn lovely.
Try smoked salmon with cream cheese on freshly baked garlic and rosemary focaccia. Or smoked and peppered mackerel pate with capers and chives on Melba toast. Thank me later.

Bazaalmon

Apr 19, 2009
I love fish pretty much every way you can cook it. Steamed, seared, battered, blackened, raw, cevice, smoked, and whatever else you can think. One of my favorite recipes is maple citrus glazed salmon. You take one big filet of salmon, skin removed (about 2-2.5lbs) and put it in a glass baking dish. Mix 1/2 cup real maple syrup, 1/4 cup orange juice, 1 tbsp soy sauce, and a big pinch of black pepper and pour it over the salmon. Slice a lemon into 6-8 slices, put those on top of the salmon, then spoon a bit of the sauce over the lemon slices to get them coated. Let it sit for about 20 minutes to marinate and get to room temp, then put the whole thing in the oven and bake it at 400 degrees F for about 30-40 minutes until its flaky. Cut it and spoon some of the sauce over top to serve. I usually serve it with quinoa or rice and some steamed veggies or roasted asparagus. Everyone I know who's tried it can't get enough!

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Grouchy Imp said:
Muspelheim said:

Try smoked salmon with cream cheese on freshly baked garlic and rosemary focaccia. Or smoked and peppered mackerel pate with capers and chives on Melba toast. Thank me later.
Sounds marvellous! Mum used to sort of nest them on a bed of garlic and rosemary. It really does complement the taste, with a bit of lemon.

Mackerel really is a hard working fish. It goes well with anything, in almost any shape. Particularly when it's fresh and lovely.

Mimic

Jul 22, 2014
GundamSentinel said:
RAW!

No seriously, a good herring with onions is ridiculously tasty.
My cousins persuaded me to have that when I was visiting them one time.. I dont think it meshed well with my British palette (although vla etc is awesome). I just remember it being slimy and really fishy.

I'm a battered fish and chips gal with tartare and ketchup. Some pan-fried sea bass is good and I get some local smoked trout pate occassionally which is pretty awesome.

SexyGarfield

Mar 12, 2013
I like to cook smaller fish whole (head and all) on the bbq but I lower the rack getting it about an inch or two from the coals and cook it hot and fast so the skin gets really blistered and crunchy.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Err the way the Chinese does it (which is kind of like steaming it and putting flavours to it). Battered is my least favourite despite I'm ok eating it. To me it's just literally putting fat into your body. Ok sure the same can be said with other junk food like Mcdonal of KFC but at least their "fat" food look more appealing than battered fish.

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
Barbaq that all day long. But also in good "riblja &#269;orba" (no, not the band), sorry but there is no right translation that i know. it's like a hot, spicy thick fish soup and it usually numbs mouths.