Poll: Former Microsoft Console buyers: Will you buy the 720?

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Most of this gen's console games are on 360 for me, but I think it was because they had the 1 year jump. I'm currently on my 4th 360 (I would have stopped if I didn't have so many games for it). Gold turned into (and probably was all along) a giant waste of money, especially compared to plus. The UI slowly turned into a gigantic advertisement matrix. I just don't care for it anymore. I would have gotten a 720 if there were at least 5 Lost Odyssey level exclusives that I needed to have, but if the online bullshit is true then there's no chance. I got an original Xbox as well (I'm a collector), but it saw practically no usage compared to the PS2.

I am so opposed to the always-online shit that the 720 would be the first console in ALL of the generations (including a dedicated Pong machine) that I won't buy and collect. Shit was getting expensive anyway.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I've bought both previous xBoxes. I even bought three 360s.

But if the rumours of the Durango are even remotely true, there's no chance I'm getting one. It looks like a horrific disaster.

But I really hate that this is how I'm thinking. Not because I'm a fan of the brand at all. I am not in any capacity. It's because I love Forza. I'm a huge fan. It's one of my two favourite ever franchises (the other being Zelda), and I've spent more time playing Forza than any other game. Thousands of hours. By far the main reason I bought several 360s was to continue playing Forza, not because I liked the machine at all.

But with the direction they're going it seems that it'll completely ruin that experience. It's devastating that I have to give up one of my favourite games ever, but it looks as if it will be even more so if I try to continue with it. Not to mention a lot more expensive.

It's just awful. So, so awful.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Had an xbox, had a 360 got fed up with their bullshit and hardware problems and I'm not buying their newest console.
I had 11 360's fail on me (red ring, e74 error etc) and I take really good care of my devices, their consoles are the only ones to break on me and in such number it's astounding.

And after seeing the 360 recently I'm decidedly done, I don't know how ANYONE buys into their XBL bullshit, you pay 60 bucks+tax for online play, demos and voice chat? On top of that they advertize to you on your consoles dashboard, then if you want netflix/hulu that's a separate deal obviously but you have to pay that on top of nonsense yearly fee which is rather difficult to unsub from. What kind of blow to the head do you have to take to take that as a good deal? The reason I bring up how shit a deal this is, is because I'm sure this'll be on the next xbox, and who knows what's going on with their always on idea.

The fact there's people who still pay for XBL when there's better, cheaper alternatives blows my mind and I know even if the always on bullshit happens people will buy it and they'll gladly pay the 60 a year despite server issues stopping them from playing the game they paid for.

Gidiel167

May 13, 2009
honestly, i would rather finally buy a PC than buy the new xbox with always on internet needed. Would save me money and probably give me a better experience in the long run.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Buying into the next console generation is definitely a question I've been pondering lately. There have been few if any games I haven't been able to get for PC a few months after their release. Combine that in with emulators I use to rip my older games off their discs and play them on my PC, then I suppose it has become an all-in-one gaming platform for me that I am very happy with. Consoles are kind of obsolete devices for me.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
mbarker said:
360 is the last console I'll ever buy. I'll go PC all the way now.
Pretty much same here, I'm leaving my mind open to Nintendo products which give an entirely different experience to PC gaming, but there is not much point in buying an Xbox or Playstation when the PC I have already and need anyway does the job so much better.

Also I really hated what Microsoft did to the Xbox 360's dashboard, it started as that efficient and slick 'blade' interface and ended up as the monstrosity it is now, prioritizing shoving advertisements in your face over having an easy to use system.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Pebkio said:
Ooh, something just occurred to me:

Microsoft doesn't HAVE to put the always online requirement on their console. They can just make it without a writable harddrive or memory card slots... and make everything work off of a cloud. That way, you're encouraged to be online to save games and achievements... but not actually required. There, no longer do we have to worry about the "always-online" feature.
They could call the console SimBox! The adverts could be total rip offs of the Lion King too.

I'm not going to get one. If I won one and there was no cash alternative then I'll probably see what happens when you microwave it. And if MS tried to pay me to own one I'd probably fake my own death or something.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
CriticalMiss said:
They could call the console SimBox! The adverts could be total rip offs of the Lion King too.

I'm not going to get one. If I won one and there was no cash alternative then I'll probably see what happens when you microwave it. And if MS tried to pay me to own one I'd probably fake my own death or something.
Oh, I would totally own one if they paid me, I'd even write reviews for all their games. They'd all go something like this:

"Still don't have a stable internet connection... couldn't actually play. Other than that, the boxart is kinda nice: 8/10."

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
owning both a Xbox and a X360. Planning on skipping the 720 with these ridiculous prices and online only crap.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
If they go the Always Online route I'm out. I'm already frequently pissed off by Microsoft sticking me with crappy dubs on their game discs, not to mention the fact that the online gaming feature costs money, so the argument that my less-than-stellar internet connection is constantly required for the new console to function at the most basic level is just another nail in the coffin. I know nothing's confirmed at this point, but the ugly rumors that are piling up sure don't make me excited to own one of those things.
Then again, if the PS4 ends up going through with the dreaded 'no more used games' scheme I just might move all the way outside my comfort zone and get a Piston.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
I bought an Xbox and a 360 and have enjoyed both except for the optical drive problems that seem to plague the original Xbox and that horrible Metro dashboard they made to be compliant with the Kinect. >_>

Whether I get a 720 hinges on two things.

1. If it has that always-online crap.
2. If the thing actually works for the most part. I don't want The RRoD: Part 2, thank you very much.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Pebkio said:
Oh, I would totally own one if they paid me, I'd even write reviews for all their games. They'd all go something like this:

"Still don't have a stable internet connection... couldn't actually play. Other than that, the boxart is kinda nice: 8/10."
I suppose you could do the whole IGN-esque "10/10 It's okay", that could get you brownie points.

OT: I don't have an Xbox, but I have friends that do with bad internet connections. From what they've seen so far: Hell to the no.

Echopunk

Jul 6, 2011
I bought an XBOX as a more stable alternative to my often replaced and repaired PS2. Went with the 360 over the PS3 since my taste had changed from cutscene heavy jrpgs to more western developed games, and had my first 360 die on me a year later. I spent a year playing old PS2 and Dreamcast games and eventually bought a second 360 that was on sale (since I had the hard drive from my original one laying around).

I wouldn't buy any new console until it has had twelve to eighteen months break-in time, so I won't be punished for being an early adopter the next go round.

I'll wait for the official announcement to make my decision, but as of right now, if I do buy a next gen console some time in the next three years, I will probably be making a return to the altar of Sony. Then again, I'm not crazy about their announced specs and the online focus either. Hell, maybe I'll revert all the way back and go Nintendo for the first time in fifteen years.

alphamalet

Nov 29, 2011
How in the hell are we supposed to answer this question? We know nothing of the next-gen Microsoft console...

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Nope. I did buy the original XBox and the 360, but I will not buy the 720 (or whatever they're going to call it). I can't afford any new consoles right now and I have no interest in any of the new ones anyway and Microsoft has definatly turned me off theirs with even the rumour of this always online BS.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
DRM is a major no sale. I bought a 360 and thoroughly enjoyed it but if there's any truth to these rumors, there's no way I will be giving Microsoft any of my money.

Lever

Jun 30, 2011
I've had both the original Xbox and the 360. That said, if Microsoft makes the next generation always online, I will avoid it like the plague. I just put together a desktop, so I may not get a console for a couple of years. If I do, the PS4 is looking better, pretty much every day right now.

afroebob

Oct 1, 2011
Not unless they make it so that there is no fee for xbox live and they don't pull the always online bullshit.