Poll: Friendship between Men and Women or The Ladder Theory

Ossian

Mar 11, 2010
Being a single guy, every girl I meet I do think largely if I want to pursue a relationship, doesn't mean I can't be friends with an attractive woman without wanting to jump her bones.

automatron

Apr 21, 2010
By this does that mean that gay men can't have male friends?

I think this is stupid.

I have plenty of friends I don't wish to have sex with

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
well i agree with one part of the ladder theory, i do judge women on if i'd have sex with them or not, but i am friends with hot chicks that i don't care to get with.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
So its basically saying all women are bitches and all men are pigs?

Its sexist against everybody, excellent.

Naeo

Dec 31, 2008
No. This is absolutely not true, speaking as a man myself. I grant that the "how much I want to have sex" ladder is pretty constantly there, but I definitely have the friendship ladder, too. And ultimately it's just as strong.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Rather silly theory, but to be honest... I've slept with all my friends that happened to be girls. Even the fugly ones.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
I must confess, being a single 21 year old guy, sex does frequent my brain with occasional idle thoughts about any girl in the place, though not with the frequency and crassness that some seem to be prone to (I have more class than ogling every ass that walks by while muttering 'phoar!', for instance). Doesn't stop me being friends with any of them (girls, not asses...), though, and I don't feel that those thoughts get in the way of me judging them on their personalities either.

A theory is just a theory, and this just sounds like the sort of clap that pseudo-psychologists like to throw out to start a discussion based purely on opinion.

Guess it succeeded ;)

daemon37

Oct 14, 2009
I agree with this theory. I think it's impossible for a heterosexual man to NOT have sexual thoughts about the women in his life. Whether they be friends, coworkers, acquaintances or even relatives. These sexual thoughts could be anything from how she looks naked to detailed descriptions of desired activities. However, this doesn't necessarily mean they ever plan to act on these thoughts.

They're just idle thoughts, about boobs n' stuff. Men who claim to not have these thoughts are probably liars (like most of these other posters :p).
(I'm glad I never had sisters, that would've been awkward...)

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Dragoonit said:
hyzaku said:
Dragoonit said:
Berethond said:
Dragoonit said:
Berethond said:
That's bullshit.
I have tons of female friends whom I would not like to have sex with.
Just curious, but does that mean those females fall down further on your "ladder" ?
There is no ladder.
They're just people who I don't want to have sex with.
I respect that, but you seem quick to reject the theory. In order to see if a theory truly works you have to test the theory with an experiment, not just hypothesize. Give it a try!
Technically, if this actually was a theory it would already have been tested and be backed up by all available evidence. Without testing an idea can never be more than a hypothesis according to science. The fact that the general public seem to think the word theory means what hypothesis actually means is a massive irritation for me.

Actually, due to the wording of this hypothesis wouldn't it be untrue on a large scale because of homosexuality and asexuality? Neither of those groups would be "ranking" the opposite sex in a sexual manner at all. Then of course there are people who, despite liking/wanting sex, simply do not ever prioritize sex as either a thought or an activity. I personally am that type of person and so are some of my friends. I am certain there are other groups that could be found and described that would not follow this hypothesis. Honestly, I cannot see how this idea is correct.

In fact the article you link even states that there is no scientific evidence backing this idea. Though the article does misuse both theory and hypothesis (*silently raging*). Even a false hypothesis is still a hypothesis.
a theory is an unproven concept, therefore has to be tested
Not in the scientific sense, which is what psychologists need to use if they are to be taken seriously.

I'm going to go with I don't agree because:
1) It's far too simple a system and doesn't factor in a LOT of shit. Or it does and is just incredibly vague about it. In fact I feel personally insulted (by the article) that it would go so far as to put numerical values onto how we base our complex opinions, feelings and sexual attraction to and about other people.
2) It's too conceptual. Similar to my above point, it comes across as deep without really tying itself down to anything by using "ladders" as an explanation.
3) No scientific backing. Even with the above points, I would be willing to accept it if it only had this. But it doesn't, so fuck it.

I agree it's an interesting dilemma and personally the argument as to whether sex can be totally excluded from heterosexual male-female relationships is something I'm interestd in and could do with investigation, but I am not at all going to agree with something like this Ladder hypothesis.

Novus Loyal

Dec 30, 2010
No. Isn't this degrading to males by saying that they're so simple that they can only handle one "ladder" consisting of "I would have sex with her" or "I wouldn't have sex with her"?

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
Complete and total bullshit. My best friend is a woman and yes there was a time where I would have gladly had a romantic relationship with her I now value her friendship too much to take a chance and have something go wrong and not have her around anymore. We have love for each other and we show affection, when we see each other we hug, and she gives the best backrubs ever, we've just both agreed that even now that she's single again we should never be a couple.

She has been an awesome friend for nearly 15 years now, someone I could always talk to and get an honest answer or opinion on anything from. We've been through a lot together, especially in the last year and we've only become closer friends because of it. We share quite a few of the same interests as well. She's smart and funny and witty and easy to get along with, we've never had an argument over something serious, sure, we argue but it's all in fun over things that don't really matter.

Men and women can be friends without the guy wanting to bone the chick or vice-versa under the right conditions.

Azdron

Nov 21, 2010
Eh, See I have a ladder of rankings. and below a certain point it becomes "ha ha ha no." territory, but I dunno isint that just having standards?

And beyond that there are lots of girls I would sleep with but at the same time cant stand(dick says yes brain says no) I mean yes I have a ranking system but there are a lot of other concerns (for instance where does not sleeping with your friends hot girlfriend come into this thought process?)

For something that dominates our culture and the vast majority of our brains available processing power (as well as our physical makeup) I find it hard to believe it can be simplified into one ladder for guys two ladders for girls.

This was probably invented by some dude who was butthurt about being put in the friend zone and tried to rationalize it in a way that didn't crush his short pimply limp wristed self esteem. And has since caught on in circles of people too stupid to know better and girls who read those awful womens mags.

Keepitclean

Sep 16, 2009
No, I disagree with the theory. That doesn't mean I wouldn't do some of my female friends though...

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Guy's on to something, but this theory is far from correct. As it stands, I disagree with the Ladder Theory.

SkyeNeko

Dec 30, 2010
hm i think this could be used in a majority of cases. every single man i have befriended wants a shag after a while. and there are men with whom i want to share nothing but a bed.