Poll: Futurama or Simpsons?

scarfacetehstag

Feb 12, 2011
Its pretty clear that most people here haven't even seen an episode of the simpsons. So here is a little education for you.

seasons 1-2 were very rusty, they were either not funny or heartwarming, only watch them if you want to see where it came from.

seasons 3-9 are pure gold, don't let any idiot say differently, it is your duty to watch at least half of them.

seasons 10-12 are not nearly as bad as they are made out to be, in fact they are still funnier than anything that's on modern tv.

13-17 are a little harder to get into but still have many great episodes.

18 is by far thre worst of the series avoid it all costs

19-22 have been slowly getting funnier, but still should be avoided if you just want the pure experience.

I like futurama alot, but it is nowhere near as funny the simpsons, unless all it takes to have you rolling on the floor is zoidbergs voice doing something pathetic.

TriGGeR_HaPPy

Another Regular. ^_^
May 22, 2008
I'd like to give an honorable mention to early Simpsons, but if you're comparing the series' as a whole, the later Simpsons don't really help their cause...

Futurama for me. :D

iDoom46

Dec 31, 2010
Futurama. Forever Futurama.

It takes place in a zany idea of what the future might be like, and revels in it. There's always lots of weird and interesting aliens to see and they never need an excuse to do something that's totally off the wall bonkers, because everyone in the entire universe already is.
Plus it's a smart kind of comedy, and there's lots of nerdy jokes thrown in (the best kind).

And on top of all that, the show really has a heart, and not one that feels tacked-on either. Case and point; the dog episode, the moon episode, and the episode when Leela went into a coma.

The best comedies are also the saddest.
Just like all the best children's/family movies are also the most emotionally-scarring.

minimacker

Apr 20, 2010
TheIronRuler said:
Futurama.
No limitations whatsoever, it's like a treehouse of horror simpsons episode every episode.
Ninja'd by the first reply? WHAT?!
FFFFUUUUUUUU-

Anyway, I'm obviously going with Futurama. I find it far more interesting. The characters develop for each episode and they aren't always the same. The characters themselves learn something and change as the series goes on.

You also feel fuzzy inside because Futurama spews out many geek-trivia and internet memes, which makes those things seem less of a complete waste of our lives.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
I enjoyed The Simpsons at its best more than Futurama to be honest. For the record, I generally consider the best part of the Simpsons to be seasons 3 - 8 with the episode You Only Move Twice (in Season 8) as my all time favorite 23 minutes of television.

That said, I do enjoy Futurama quite a bit and I often found the incredibly obscure jokes funny, such as those regarding transfintite numbers and principles of quantum mechanics.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
floobie said:
- It's actually dynamic. You can see the characters growing and changing. Their relationships aren't static. The Simpsons basically hits the reset button every episode.
For the most part this is true, but there have been a great many changes in characters and relationships in the course of the show. Lisa became a vegetarian for example, significant named characters have died (Maude Flanders for instance) and there have even been divorces that get brought up again and again.

While Futurama has a bit more change in characters, the truth is, most of that change only happened because the future of the show was in doubt. Fry loved Leela since early on in season 1 and yet that relationships never moved forward in any significant way until the final episode of the original run and did not actually become anything resembling a proper boyfriend/girlfriend situation until the fourth movie. While various relationships and character traits have been added, these have largely been an effort to make the supporting cast a little more than one joke characters (e.g. Amy is clumsy).

floobie said:
- The setting. I love most anything sci-fi and urban. Futurama's bustling, futuristic, New New York scratches that itch a lot better than the Simpson's small town, suburban Springfield.
The setting does allow for some things the Simpsons simply could not get away with, certainly, but for the most part the narrative core of most stories is no different than what the Simpsons deals with. I'll grant that the flexibility of Futurama is a big part of why I liked the show at all, but if you really step back and look you'll find there isn't a lot of difference in the broad strokes sense.

floobie said:
- The geeky humour is both stimulating and well executed. It isn't as in your face an "lol, look how nerdy we are, laugh at us!" as shows like Big Bang Theory.
I agree entirely with this. How many other shows have jokes about computer science (the halting problem), advanced mathematics (transfinite numbers and graph theory), physics (lots and lots of them) and so forth? The strangest thing to me about Futurama was how shockingly well educated the writing staff was. A number of the original writers had graduate degrees in fields like economics, computer science, mathematics and so forth from significant universities.

Herr Schatz

Jul 31, 2011
Is the Simpsons still airing? That is absolutely tragic...

I should point out that I was raised on the Simpsons, and still believe that from season 3 till around 8, it is untouchable as one of the most inspired television series' ever to be made. Unfortunately they continued to churn them out long past the time it became clear that it was beginning to get embarressing. I noticed there were less and less laughs, especially at the level of humour of those earlier seasons. Seriously, for all those who think Futurama is better than the Simpsons, then if you're basing that off recent seasons of the Simpsons then I'd have to agree with you absolutely. If however you want to compare Futurama in it's prime against the Simpsons in it's prime, then in my mind there is one clear winner.

In a perfect World they would have got to season 8, followed it up with a theatrical release of something really rather special, then they would have brought it all to a glorious end.

Now it's like an relative you grew up with just withering away without dying. It's painful to watch but there's nothing you can do about it.

Kielgasten

Oct 12, 2009
Accidentally voted for Simpsons.
This is not true, deduct one vote from them!

Futurama wins every day :)

Apr 5, 2008
Futurama is my favourite TV show, period. Shame there's only one more episode left this season (next Thursday night), then a whole year before 13 more and 2013 before another 13 :-( MORE Matt Groening/David Cohen, MORE!

Still, I can't complain. I was living off old episodes until Comedy Central picked it back up.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
TingaWinga said:
Futurama It doesn't have to copy from family guy
and It is by far the better series to watch
The simpsons maybe has one or two good jokes a season whereas Futurama has Zoidberg!! Point Made
As a huge Family Guy fan and someone who's always been thoroughly meh with respect to The Simpsons, I can tell you that Simpsons never ripped off Family Guy. In fact, there was a Simpsons episode featuring a character that was supposed to represent Peter whose name was "PlagiarIsmo." Family Guy answered by having Stewie mock the Bart Simpson Butterfinger commercials.

They're both animated sitcoms and are both about modern families and have well-written and well used orchestral scores. That's really about where the similarities end.

StoneCutter

Dec 29, 2010
My name and my pic seem to have conflicting opinions on this one... But I'll have to go with Futurama.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
GigaHz said:
For me, Simpsons was genuinely enjoyable from seasons 1-11. Futurama I liked up until this season.

It seems to have plateaued faster than the Simpsons has. Despite the futuristic setting with limitless possibilities, it seems like they have gotten all the mileage they could get out of the characters. I'll continue to watch it, sure but Simpsons will always be the better program for me. I still watch reruns of it if they happen to be on TV.

Also, fun fact: One of the major reasons why Futurama is more enjoyable than Simpsons today, Futurama episodes are written by 3 of the former best Simpsons writers.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the most famous of Simpsons writers, who worked on the show during its peak, also worked on Saturday Night Live, was screwed over on a certain later show he did and has since switched networks, and features animals who pleasure themselves on national television...

...and is also one of the funniest and most brilliant people on the planet. Need another clue? This person is Irish.

Jun 5, 2010
The Simpsons. I love Futurama but the Simpsons just seems that it has better writing. also there is the fact that it is mine and my father tradition to watch the Simpsons together for it is his favorite show of all time. thus it is mine as well. Dont get me wrong though Futurama is pure awesome and I watch both a lot I just have stronger ties to the yellow family. Also I was not surprised to see Futurama winning by so much the show Is pretty much an internet meme right now and I can tell that it must be so much fun to jump on the "New Simpsons suck" bandwagon because really, I have had no problems with the latest episodes of the Simpsons.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
The Simpsons. I like how the setting and storylines can be more realistic and dramatic than Futurama. I identify with the characters more and it feels more like real life. The Simpsons views Homer's stupidity with more scorn than Futurama sees Fry's. Fry is just dumb and he almost never gets into trouble because of it, and when he does, it's not his responsibility to fix it. Homer on the other hand has nearly destroyed his family on multiple occasions and had to resolve it himself. Bart's hi-jinx cause real difficulties for him socially, at home, and at school. I like to see how a character's actions can have serious repercussions and how they cope with what they have done. On Futurama, problems are often resolved with some sc fi explanation or Leela resolves it by beating someone up. When Zoidberg mutilates somebody, that's the joke, not the plot. Bender's alcoholism isn't a problem, it's how he continues to function as a robot.

That's not to say there aren't great and involving episodes of Futurama, but The Simpsons outmatches it in that department easily.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Active Schizophrenic said:
Also I was not surprised to see Futurama winning by so much the show Is pretty much an internet meme right now and I can tell that it must be so much fun to jump on the "New Simpsons suck" bandwagon because really, I have had no problems with the latest episodes of the Simpsons.
Yeah, the Simpsons really sucked from about season 13 to season 17 or 18. The last few years have been pretty solid.