Poll: Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition - The most impossibly good strategy game in the cosmos

Tryzon

Jul 19, 2008
Extraintrovert said:
Sweet Krop-Tor's testicles, that was a wall of text. This is an amount of effort that I have rarely seen for any review, let alone for a forum, and I am most certainly impressed.

Slightly more relevantly, the only time I was made aware of this game was when I read a Lets Play of it (involving an entirely peaceful civilisation that originally never waged war but was eventually detonating stars on a regular basis), and I must say it intrigues me immensely. I want to purchase it if only to support the developers, as I have immense difficulty with even standard strategy games and something of this complexity will leave me gibbering in a corner. I suppose what I'm attempting to type is that the review is fantastic and the game seems equally so, but it doesn't appeal to me. Oh well.
1) Many thanks indeed. I frequently go into a ton of detail for reviews, but GalCiv 2 is a topic I'm passionate about, so it required even more than usual. Can you believe that's over nine A4 pages' worth of text? Compact it ain't, but I like to leave no stone unturned.

2) Part of GalCiv 2's genius is that the large number of difficulty settings means it's playable by even people who don't consider themselves any good at strategy games. Pick one of the lower options and I'm sure you'll figure it out. Stardock could definitely use all the support they can get, so I fully encourage you to get a copy, even if it's just for their sake.

Scrumpmonkey said:
MUST reinstall ultimate eddition, i've not done 1/2 of what i could have done with it.
Yes you really, really must do that.

Liberaliter

Sep 17, 2008
I ordered the ultimate edition of this game yesterday and it shipped today, any tips for when it comes?

Tryzon

Jul 19, 2008
Liberaliter said:
I ordered the ultimate edition of this game yesterday and it shipped today, any tips for when it comes?
Many congratulations on your order!

As for tips, I'd say definitely pick one of the lower difficulties, use a Tiny galaxy and just figure things out. There are a bunch of tutorial videos in the game, which should help with the basics.

But by far the best assistance is with this beginner's guide, written by the creator of GalCiv himself! It's not a huge read and has plenty of pictures to show you what he's talking about, so it could prove invaluable.

http://forums.galciv2.com/104908

Good luck, eh? :D

Liberaliter

Sep 17, 2008
Tryzon said:
Liberaliter said:
Many congratulations on your order!

As for tips, I'd say definitely pick one of the lower difficulties, use a Tiny galaxy and just figure things out. There are a bunch of tutorial videos in the game, which should help with the basics.

But by far the best assistance is with this beginner's guide, written by the creator of GalCiv himself! It's not a huge read and has plenty of pictures to show you what he's talking about, so it could prove invaluable.

http://forums.galciv2.com/104908

Good luck, eh? :D
Haha, cheers.

I have lost many, many hours (days?) to strategy games over the years, this looks to be the same. Can't say I'm complaining about that though :]

Tryzon

Jul 19, 2008
Liberaliter said:
Haha, cheers.

I have lost many, many hours (days?) to strategy games over the years, this looks to be the same. Can't say I'm complaining about that though :]
Originality isn't GalCiv's strongpoint, but it's certainly true that some things don't need changing. If you're familar with strategy games, then I fully expect you'll have fun with this.

Tryzon

Jul 19, 2008
joethekoeller said:
I really wish it was different, but the first thing that went through my mind after reading this piece is just how much attention it got from our community compared to my very own review [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.192249-Niche-Appeal-Galactic-Civilizations-II] of the subject at hand.

Nonetheless, I do wholeheartedly agree with you on GalCiv's quality, and feel glad about all the people who are going to experience it because you pointed them towards it (Including yours truly. In light of this review I have finally decided to go from vanilla to Endless Universe) . Review-wise there's not a lot to complain about. I don't exactly favor your style of talking in-depth about everything and anything, but sucess seems to prove you right.
Many thanks for being see courteous. Many people in your situation might have lashed out, but I see you're an intelligent sort, so you have my respect there.

Quite why my review has attracted so much more attention isn't really that clear, but there you go.

I'm extremely glad you're upgrading your version of the game on my recommendation, of course. This may be a record for how many people one of my reviews has convinced to get a game!