Poll: Gamers Over 30 Are ?Weird?

Zhadramekel

Apr 18, 2010
People play games for fun. People over 30 still want to have fun. Plus, they're not as big into going to bars and stuff like younger people are, maybe they have even more right to be classified as 'gamers'.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
It's only weird if they still live with their mums, otherwise it's just something to pass time with.

Apollo45

Jan 30, 2011
My girlfriend's parents (both over 50) both play video games. Admittedly, they got in to it rather late, and they typically stick with Wii games, but her mom has beaten everyone in the family (and out of it) in Link's Crossbow Training. For a 50 year old woman that's pretty damned good.

Then again, I'm not sure anyone, including themselves, would say they're not weird. But they're functioning members of society, and they're freaking awesome.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Considering gaming started about 30 years ago, I would say no. There the first generation of gamers, who have just stuck with it.

It's not weird, it's obvious.

It's a bit rich coming from people who have no clue what there talking about, who also fox hunt and act like toffs.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
If/When I retire (not for at least another 40 years lol) I will live out my twilight years playing some MMORPG game whether it be WoW, TOR or (much more likely) an completely online virtual reality game.

My grandparents have nothing to do and they are super bored because of it (they once came over just to count how much money we had in our spare change money tin...they must be THAT bored)

So yeah, gamers over 30 are not weird because I intend to be gaming for the rest of my life.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Speaking as someone over 30 who plays games and every one of my friends also play games. That's just ignorant people being ignorant.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
Wow.

I do agree with the one point he brought, which is that video games certainly shouldn't be the one thing you do by the time you're thirty. Hopefully, by then, you've become self sustaining with a decent job and maybe a family.

But then they took that decent statement and ran with it far past the point of reason, insulting anyone who likes to play video games and is older then thirty.

Of course, I don't need to say much in defense of my favorite medium, anymore. The Supreme Court ruled video games equal to other forms of entertainment, so you can take up your unfounded bigotry with them, Gifford.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Meltyman said:
http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2011/07/today_show_gamers_over_30_are_.php

what is your opinion on this ?

to me games are ment to be played no matter what age.
(over the legal age for the game ofcourse hehe)

hope there aint a similiar post made, if there is.. im sorry :)
I think the people mentioned in this article have failed both their intelligence roll and knowledge: culture roll.

Just to spite them, I'm gonna make sure I'm still rolling dice, jockeying keyboards and mashing controllers until I'm DEAD.

Mark Flanagan

Apr 25, 2011
What a stupid article, So the 'console generation' is weird now eh? Gamers in their late twenties and 30's are the games industry period.

MarcusD357

Mar 27, 2009
If you are over the age of 30 and occasionally partake in the odd game, it's fine.
However, if you are that age, have no job, live in your parents basement and are repeatedly making journeys to the nearest Game store to buy the latest shooter then it is a bit worse..

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Yes because every single person should conform to the societal rules imposed by certain individuals just because they find it weird when an older person does something STILL associated with children.

Let me put it this way. What's the difference between a 30 year old and a 20 year old playing games?

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
veloper said:
I do reckon there are 100% conformist people who will do everything what is expected of them, but I just wouldn't want to be one.
Not everyone is weird. It just doesn't matter.
Surely being a 100% conformist is just a bit strange and creepy in of itself...? Though perhaps it depends which system they're operating under. Chavs and japanese salarymen may count, I suppose?

All the same, I probably wouldn't much enjoy hanging out with them anyway. It's the differences that make people interesting to know.