Poll: Gamers Over 30 Are ?Weird?

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
The woman with the plastic face grabbed her co-hosts' hands and started singing "Kumbaya milord" at the end of the video.

That's weird.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
tahrey said:
veloper said:
I do reckon there are 100% conformist people who will do everything what is expected of them, but I just wouldn't want to be one.
Not everyone is weird. It just doesn't matter.
Surely being a 100% conformist is just a bit strange and creepy in of itself...? Though perhaps it depends which system they're operating under. Chavs and japanese salarymen may count, I suppose?

All the same, I probably wouldn't much enjoy hanging out with them anyway. It's the differences that make people interesting to know.
It's not the variety that I'm talking about. I'm not bothered by people acting, doing and looking what is fashionable or correct at the given timeframe.
That is inherently very inoffensive.
It's just too bad it's often those very same people who tend to be the most invasive, when it comes to doing or not doing things in your own free time, privately even, when they're not even around you.

Sangnz

Oct 7, 2009
Failing to give a definition of normalcy seriously undercuts the argument.
Playing video games over the age of 30 is weird compared to?

Being an alcoholic?
Dredging bars for barely legal ass due to impending mid-life crisis?
Having a wife 2.5 kids and being stuck in a rut?
Being zoned out in front of the TV?

Also why does playing video games have to override anyone's ability to have a healthy relationship with a member of the opposite sex (or same sex if you swing that way), have friends, have a social life or even have a family?

Tron-tonian

Mar 19, 2009
I don't think so. I imagine the people I know don't either. The most recent over-30 gamer I have met is a married, Islamic cancer researcher. Some other over-30 gamers I know:

A cardiologist.
A dentist.
A videographer.

All pretty ordinary folks. The dentist and I get together for and play some NHL now and then. The cancer researcher likes FPS's.

So, no. Not weird. Very mainstream to play games.

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
In my experience, all gamer's are a bit weird.

Some, like myself, are really weird.

If you delve a little deeper you'd realize 'normality' is actually a very boring place to be. Don't be a square, be a squiggle!

LittleBlondeGoth

Mar 24, 2011
Pffft. I'm over 30 and whilst I admit I might be a little weird, it's not because I play games. :p

Those of us who began gaming when it all really started are now in our thirties. It's a medium we've grown up with and one we can enjoy. I don't see anyone whinging about people watching TV still when they're my age - surely they've grown out of it by now? At least with gaming you're an active participant in what's going on infront of you, instead of vegetating infront of bloody Eastenders or something equally mindless.

But apparently now I'm past that 30 mark, I ought to have more to worry about than silly little games. Oh sorry, do excuse me. I suppose I should go bang out a couple of kids instead, should I?

Sod that, say I.

Peteron

Oct 9, 2009
My dad plays GoW with me and hes almost 50. I would say that is awesome rather than weird.

Mouse One

Jan 22, 2011
Vault Citizen said:
I'm surprised anyone clicked yes on this site.
Probably some of the 15 year olds who are convinced that anyone out of college is "old" (whatever old is-- I knew an 80 year old guy who surfed like a demon)

I don't have kids, so it didn't occur to me until I read some of the comments from parents-- but yeah, videogames would be popular with those with children in the "will try to kill themselves if left unsupervised" age ranges. Come to think of it, I frequently hear the gleeful squawking of offspring in the background on voice.

I guess "afk bio" takes on a new meaning with a baby in the house.

Aug 25, 2009
Give it a few more years and there are going to be a lot more gamers over thirty.

This is like asking 'People over thirty who listen to rock music, creepy?'

Of course not, because they grew up, as people are wont to do.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
wastedcharlie said:
Gaming at any age is fine by me. I'm 31 and I still love to play computer games. You can play TF2 with your great-granddad in the carehome if you like,{ but over 10's playing Mario is weird.
Also, playing on a NES for more than 5 minutes of retro is weird, even for those too young to enjoy it the first time out.

Not that there's anything wrong with being weird. If you're cool doing these things you'd better be cool with the reputation it carries.
Why is it weird for over 10's to play Mario games?Despite what you may think they're designed for all ages to enjoy.I'm 33 and I love Mario games and I don't see anything weird about that at all

Rossmallo

Feb 20, 2008
Absoloute. Utter. Nonsense. Noone has the right to say what's right or wrong to do at what age.

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
Nope, not even remotely weird.

It's cool though, I find women in their 40s and 50s who get enough plastic surgery to look like a small child's Barbie doll pretty weird too.
It amazes me how these people think they're fit to judge anyone's lifestyle.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
LittleBlondeGoth said:
Pffft. I'm over 30 and whilst I admit I might be a little weird, it's not because I play games. :p

Those of us who began gaming when it all really started are now in our thirties. It's a medium we've grown up with and one we can enjoy. I don't see anyone whinging about people watching TV still when they're my age - surely they've grown out of it by now? At least with gaming you're an active participant in what's going on infront of you, instead of vegetating infront of bloody Eastenders or something equally mindless.

But apparently now I'm past that 30 mark, I ought to have more to worry about than silly little games. Oh sorry, do excuse me. I suppose I should go bang out a couple of kids instead, should I?

Sod that, say I.
That's exactly what the people who make these shows want because they're becoming irrelevant.

It's funny because I think that the housewives who watch Today should probably have better things to do... like play with their children.

This isn't surprising coming from an advertising douche like Deutsch. He would of course rather have people over 30 watching TV, reading magazines, and staring at billboards.
Video games are one of the things making traditional advertising obsolete, I would expect him to be discouraging toward it but he should be less of a prick about it.

As for being weird. So what, at least we're not "do you like me now!" weird like the people who watch shows like Today and whatever corporate sponsored drivel Deutsch hosts now.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
This proves me that, still, in the minds of a large chunk of the world's opinion makers (as in, figures of power) still regard videogames as toys for children. As long as that opinion does not change within the majority of that particular group of people, videogames will not get the recognition movies or books get.

Sounds shitty, but luckliky, this will end. How? A large chunk of that influential group is getting older and older. Sooner or later they'll start dropping like flies and getting replaced by a younger generation, one that did grow up with videogames, know what they're about, and won't talk out of his ass about them. We can already see it starting to happen.

So have patience my friends, soon we will be in control! MUAHAHAHA!!!
Mouse One said:
I guess "afk bio" takes on a new meaning with a baby in the house.
So many of my old WoW raids were paused because the tank had to tuck his baby in, or change his diaper. Best thing was that no-one put any pressure on him (well except for the baby) or just kicked him out of the guild outright. What a cool guild that was.