Poll: Gamers Over 30 Are ?Weird?

Gavmando

Feb 3, 2009
Damn. So if I do what they want, i'll have to stop playing games next year?

And then i'll have to start getting botox and plastic surgery? And buy a 4WD for driving around the city? And put on 20kg's?

Man, it must suck to turn 30.

Greatjusticeman

May 29, 2011
Any game has the potential to be weird. Or any person in general. No-matter what age.

Though, when I was a hardcore WoW player there were some odd 30+ guys in the guild who were obnoxious and weird. But then at the same time there were more people my age that were weird. (I'm 18).

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
So they asked a couple of Malibu Cougars who are probably scheduled for the 10th visit with a nip tuck doctor this year, and a closet case homo in his 60s that looks like the gay Hugh Heffner?

Am I suppose to feel insulted that I'm a 30something gamer?

lol

Jun 16, 2010
Yes - 3% (27)
No ------------------------------------- 93.9% (833)
??? - 3% (27)
The poll looks like a penis hurr hurr.

I hate threads like these. They're just designed to make people rage so the OP can get a nice, shiny "hot thread" badge, or whatever.

Is watching movies when you're over thirty "weird"? No. It's just because the old people in that video grew up during a time when video games actually were for kids. I don't even blame them. It's like misogyny or racism in the 40's. It was a different time.

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
I know a woman in her late 60s whose favorite hobby is riding her shiny red Harley-Davison all over the US and Canada with Sturgis, S.D. being a preferred stop every August. Since she's very religious, she doesn't smoke, drink, or swear, but she does do the whole black leather thing. She's also a nurse and very mindful of personal safety, so a bright white helmet completes the picture.

Gamers over 30 are weird? Pffffft.

Kuroneko97

Aug 1, 2010
Roofstone said:
So, it is weird to use a amusement medium, for amusement? My god.. I have been a totally freak my entire life and didn't know it?!

But eh, no, it isn't weird at all, as I pointed out, games are meant for having fun, so if they bring you fun, then play games!

Besides, my grandfather plays Crash Bandicoot regularly, and he is 72.
You officially have the coolest grandfather in Escapist.

OT: For God's sake, is there a problem with being a child every so often? Do we always have to put on our little suits and file our papers? My brother's 25 right now, and I envision him playing video games on his deathbed. Even adults need a little bit of fun. My fun is using the computer and creating stories. My mother watches a bunch of shows online, which I don't understand why ANYONE would watch. My father indulges in mangoes and hard, fruitful work.

We all have that thing that we pleasure ourselves in, for lack of a less suggestive word. These people need to play a nice, addicting game. I've heard Pokemon is like crack.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
It's OK. I find the idea of 40 year old women obsessing about teenaged and early-20s celebrities equally weird, so we're even.
n0wak | July 11, 2011 1:23 PM
This comment was top of the list when I read the article. It completely trumps everything I had to say

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Considering that a good amount of gamers are 30 because they gamed in their childhood, why would it be weird? Hell, why would your age make you weird when liking something?

Sober Thal said:
Do not subscribe to the vocal minority instead of the silent majority. Not all kids act in that way you know.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Thats like saying Basketball players over 25 are weird.

Sure, they're past they're prime, but still human. You know whats weird? Old ladies who collect kitten sculptures. Or old people who tell you about theyre childhood 3 times in one day, and the story never changes except for how hot the day was.

Or People who spend 10's of thousands of Dollars on cripple machines. I mean, your seriously going to buy a motorcycle, not a wear a helmet, and then complain when your in a hospital? And you call gamers over 30 Weird?

So in short. No. Its not weird. Its uncommon, and possibly strange if they also watch anime and collect sexual posed figurines with big tits. But definitely not weird.

woogit

Mar 16, 2011
IamQ said:
Female? That makes it awful! You should be out shopping, gossiping about celeberties and exploiting men at bars! Don't you understand? That is what a normal and healthy life looks like!
Wooo Females!
But really, shopping is overrated, unless it's for videogames or books. The celebrities I gossip about you all know well enough, notch, Nathan Fillion, Dr. Oak, etc. And I'm not yet old enough to exploit men at bars but at a party I exploited the Wii and beat some males at SSBB! So in an equally balanced world, I'm rocking it.
On the other side, I totally made a samich today.

FirstPersonWinner

Apr 16, 2009
As long as they don't live in there parents basement and their gaming doesn't get in the way of work or actual social contact and relationships.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
woogit said:
On the other side, I totally made a samich today.
I'm still hungry.

OT: Yeah it's pretty weird alright, I've worked with a chap like that and frankly he was all kinds of batshit & rather up himself too.
Casual gaming is one thing, but he seemed to want all the new titles. I found him unpleasant to say the least.

Lovesfool

Jan 28, 2009
I am over 30. I am an active gamer.

Not sure what you mean by weird though. I look in the mirror, but don't know what to look for. Everything seems fine, so I'll vote "No".

Operative1980

Oct 1, 2010
it was my dad that got me into gaming on a ZX Spectrum way back in about 1984. At that time he was 34. Now im 31 still gaming and he is 65 and also still gaming. Beats me at RTS games with ease. I wouldnt call him weird weird either, he is a retired policeman who now does voulenteer work for charities.