Poll: Games in development that are potential candidates for greatest game of all time

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
I'm going to say Dwarf Fortress. Not only has it been in development in 12 years, but it's still in public Alpha, with another planned development of at least 20 years before the 1.0 release, with post release updates and support to boot!

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
XSTALKERX said:
-A big open world where you can explore.
This is where I feel like Witcher 3 really has the potential to fall flat. I'm pretty confident that they can have good combat, story, etc, as those things were good in the last entry. However, making a good open world RPG is really, really hard, simply because there is so much stuff in them that there's so many things that can be screwed up. Not to mention the fact that making the game open world changes how it's going to be played in a lot of ways (quest and level design are going to be very, very different, for example), and who knows if what made the Witcher games good would transfer to this different type of game. Finally, big open world RPGs are sometimes very difficult to gauge how good they're going to be based off of prerelease stuff, because often major issues don't become apparent until many hours into the game.

I'm still looking forward to the game, and I still expect that it will be good, I just can't help but be slightly concerned that the game's biggest change could be its biggest stumbling point.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Certainly none of those, although I am looking forward to Battlefront 3, just don't expect it to more than a decent shooter in a theme I enjoy.

No Man's Sky is in theory, my sort of game, but from what I've seen so far I don't think it's going to be what people hope it will be, I'm getting more of a generic fly around and shoot things vibe than anything else.

Same with Star Citizen, on paper it sounds great, and it practice it looks great on a technical level but I've yet to see a bit of anything that makes it look like an interesting game will emerge.

What I do have my eye on is Limit Theory [http://ltheory.com/index.html], if it turns out as it looks like it may, that may end up being my greatest game.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I have both pretty standard and diverse taste in games but for me I guess potential greatest games of all time would have to be The Wither 3, Final Fantasy XV, Cyberpunk 2077, and Mass Effect 4.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
The only one from the list I'm really looking forward to is No Man's Sky, and even then I probably won't get my hands on it for a while. I don't have a PS4 and I'm not going to buy the console for just one game, no matter how good it is. No, I'll probably play it for the eventual PC port, and I may have to wait some more depending on how demanding the system specs are (I've always been behind the curve for PC gaming).

I'm also trying my best to curb my enthusiasm. I've been burned enough times by the hype machine in my gaming career to know to keep my expectations in check. The game is incredibly ambitious for any dev, much less an indie one. A part of me is expecting the final product to be far more modest in scope due to any number of unforseen complications.

Still, if they manage to deliver even a third of the features they've been trumpeting, I think I'll be in for a great time. Probably not "greatest game EVARRR" territory, but still damn good. It looks like the type of space exploration game I've always wanted since I was a kid.

Woo, first post of 2015!

XSTALKERX

Mar 10, 2012
ohnoitsabear said:
XSTALKERX said:
-A big open world where you can explore.
This is where I feel like Witcher 3 really has the potential to fall flat. I'm pretty confident that they can have good combat, story, etc, as those things were good in the last entry. However, making a good open world RPG is really, really hard, simply because there is so much stuff in them that there's so many things that can be screwed up. Not to mention the fact that making the game open world changes how it's going to be played in a lot of ways (quest and level design are going to be very, very different, for example), and who knows if what made the Witcher games good would transfer to this different type of game. Finally, big open world RPGs are sometimes very difficult to gauge how good they're going to be based off of prerelease stuff, because often major issues don't become apparent until many hours into the game.

I'm still looking forward to the game, and I still expect that it will be good, I just can't help but be slightly concerned that the game's biggest change could be its biggest stumbling point.
Yeah you're right, all of the other areas I know Witcher 3 will excel in, but the only thing we won't know if it's good until launch is how good it's open world is going to be. But I'm optimistic, as long as they stay away from DA:I, AC, FC open wolrd design then it can't be that bad. I would say Ideally they should try and make it a mixture of GTA and elder scrolls type open world.

Uhuru N'Uru

Oct 8, 2014
fix-the-spade said:
Star Citizen and No Man's Sky really have potential.

If they're half as good as the hype, they'll still be bigger and broader than just about anything released up until this point. If they're near the hype, then the big publishers must be crapping their collective pants, annual CoD updates will suddenly look very dull against Star Citizen if it works.

If it works.
Actually No Man's Sky is up to now pure hype but there's little hype with Star Citizen, you can see what's happening with developement and from the very start everything shown has been in engine footage, yet as good as most games cimematic trailers. Showing the real power of the PC, everything is openly developed with much community feedback.

When somethings locked into the game, one side of each debate will always be dissapointed, but contrast it with another game that was started at the same time. Fallout 4, we all know it's being developed, yet Zenimax won't even admit that. We know absolutely nothing about it at all. Both these games will likely be released at the same time, Fallout Hype hasn't even started, the silence on a popular franchise is producing enough hype without Zenimax.

Star Citizen's an innovative new concept forging new technical innovations, openly and funded entirely by Gamers, no EA or Ubisoft to ruin it. PC gamers have for years been crying out for games made for PC, the only way we'll get them is by funding them themselves. Not with Kickstarter but the way Star Citizen did it, I know they had a Kickstarter campaign, they didn't actually need one and already had raised over $2 million before it, I think Star Citizen's helped Kickstarter more than the reverse. Now at $68.5 Million and still rising steadily, only $4 Million of that was while the Kickstarter campaign ran and likely only $2M due to Kickstarter.

Like Space sims or not, the model for developement is proven sound. Any Genre and/or Dev Team can do the same, making a great game is never guaranteed, with this type of developement at least you can have some involvement in those decisions.

What of Consoles? They can get a downgraded game just like PC 's without the Max spec, second class maybe, but that's just the same as what they get now, it's the first class that's missing.

No Mans Sky could be a good game and the Big Publishers could easily buy the developer and pump out crappy sequels, it's not a threat to them at all. Unless PC becomes Dominant neither is Star Citizen, it's funding system is the only potential threat to big publishers, for it to be any real threat, other developers must start using it and gamers must start backing them.

As for best game of all time, that's just an opinion, we all have one, That needs a finished game First, don't create more hype, just wait and see what the released games are like.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
XSTALKERX said:
Yeah you're right, all of the other areas I know Witcher 3 will excel in, but the only thing we won't know if it's good until launch is how good it's open world is going to be. But I'm optimistic, as long as they stay away from DA:I, AC, FC open wolrd design then it can't be that bad. I would say Ideally they should try and make it a mixture of GTA and elder scrolls type open world.
I just can't see The Witcher working in an open world format because how much more of a driven story experience it is.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 has not been mentioned yet. You people disappoint me. More characters than ever, more powers than ever, and a storyline that goes all the way from the start to the current arc. I could not be more excited for summer to get here.