Poll: Games that think they need puzzles.

theloneassassin

Jan 1, 2011
Why Do Hack and slash games that i would normally like have to have stupid puzzles in them such as Darksiders or God of war 1,2, and 3. Its not very clever and they hardly require intelligence just timing and many times that timing is a pain in the butt and just takes time away from the game, why can't Hack n' slash games just be that? instead of incorporating puzzles which should only be done by games marketing puzzle gameplay.

Evil Moo

Always Watching...
Feb 26, 2011
If the puzzles are done well and not just thrown in there for the sake of it, I wouldn't mind.

Jan 27, 2011
IMO, they should work puzzles INTO the combat, as in "what kinds of approach and attacks do I need to do to kill this thing? Oh look, it changed form/pattern, need to re-evaluate my strategy".

Shadow of the Collosus (yeah, I know, not a beat-em-up) did that. Every fight in the game was about figuring out how to find and exploit a boss's weakness.

theloneassassin

Jan 1, 2011
aegix drakan said:
IMO, they should work puzzles INTO the combat, as in "what kinds of approach and attacks do I need to do to kill this thing? Oh look, it changed form/pattern, need to re-evaluate my strategy".

Shadow of the Collosus (yeah, I know, not a beat-em-up) did that. Every fight in the game was about figuring out how to find and exploit a boss's weakness.
Yes i enjoy that type of puzzles, what type of world would have random puzzles all around for you to get by, In god of war your a fucking monster thing that kills gods and yet you need to do a puzzle to open a door? YOU FUCKING KILLED A TITAN AND A DOOR IS A PROBLEM TO YOU?

Archeopterix

Jun 28, 2004
Hack n Slash games don't but I enjoy RPG's and such with minigames as long as they are well made. Remember Archomage in Might and Magic 6 & 7? Those were great. Also games that are integral to the plot as a skill sich as the hacking in Fallout 3 and in New Vegas are really fun.

For a traditional hack n slash though, no I don't think so.

Ciaran Lunt

Mar 25, 2010
its juxtaposition play call of duty story campaign theres so much explosions flashing lights and blood it becomes meaningless when you sniped a guy it feels inevitable because you have 2-300 to aim at. then play Pokemon SS or something like that yes your essential beat up walk around beat up again occasionally beta up big thing to make sure you beat up enough little ones repeat on paper should be just as repetitive but the thing has loads of other stuff in between you fell like you've earned something and actually achieved something imagine it with nothing but the battles and it sucks. they both have silent dull characters going through predictable stories but one you cared about one you laughed when he died