Poll: Gamestop Employees general: Like them or despise them?

For.I.Am.Mad

May 8, 2010
JeanLuc761 said:
For.I.Am.Mad said:
They're too damn pushy. 'What systems do you own.' Dude, shut up.
It's a conversation starter, not only to help you find a game you'll enjoy but also to strike up a conversation. If you're seriously hating on them for something that trivial, then I think there's a deeper issue at play here.

Hell, regardless of the store, I appreciate when employees make the effort to come out on the floor to either help me or to just chat for a bit on *insert item of mutual interest*. Yeah, it might be part of the job but a good employee will make it a more pleasant experience.
You know who also does stuff like that, strippers. You know why they do it, to get your money. Do they actually give a shit, no.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
I've never seen a Gamestop here, in Australia. But EBgames is essentially the same thing isn't it?

In which case, they are generally competent enough to do their job without giving me reason to complain.

Of course, you'll occasionally get some ***** who just stares daggers at you the whole time and sometimes you'll get a dude that casually chats with you about the game you're buying as he processes your purchase (which is really, really great to see, in my opinion).

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
I never had a real problem with them.

Most of them are competent in their jobs as a video games salesman of sorts. They have set opinions and can be discussed with. They also normally know the industry.

The few that don't know the industry are pretty good at sending you to a worker who does.

All in all nice people

P.S I call BS on whoever was talking about girls taking over and being stupid. A girl works at my local gamestop and she is just as competent (if not more so) then the other guys she works with

zombieeater6000

Oct 1, 2010
mixed because the stores near me have really bad staff that fail at all most everything
but another store i visit frequently further away but worth it for decent costumer service

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
For.I.Am.Mad said:
You know who also does stuff like that, strippers. You know why they do it, to get your money. Do they actually give a shit, no.
Did you seriously just compare retail employees to strippers? What about those of us who actually have an interest in talking to the customers because it's fun, helps our day go by faster, AND helps our job.

The way you're talking, you think retail should have no employee-customer contact whatsoever beyond the employee staying perfectly silent as you pay for your item.

ddrfr33k

Nov 11, 2010
I'm a GA (peon) at GameStop, and I've been on both sides of the counter for many years. For Game Advisors like myself, we're lucky to get 4 hours a week. I don't work there for the money. Never have, probably never will. I work there because I like talking to people about games and translating geek to common for bewildered parents.

As far as the trade-in "rip-off," It's not always quite the way you think it is. GS gives between 30-50% of what the game sells for used, not new. The acutal amount given is based on supply and demand, just like everything else. While it's not exactly as much as you would get from, say, selling it on craigslist, you also move it out of your residence faster than the turn-around on CL. Also, you are more than welcome to decline trading in a game at any time before the transaction is finalized. For all intents and purposes, GS operates like a specialized pawn shop. Both have to make their profits somehow. That's just the nature of the beast.

I hope I've shed some light on the topic. If you're in my neck of the woods, you can find me at store 534 in Minnetonka, MN. I'm the really tall one with the red hair. I'm impossible to miss.

rockyoumonkeys

Aug 31, 2010
Impossible to answer. I really like some, I really loathe others. How do you come up with an "in general" answer to that?

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Depends on the location. The one nearest to me and the one in the mall are quite friendly and nice, but the several in between those two have terrible service.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
For.I.Am.Mad said:
JeanLuc761 said:
For.I.Am.Mad said:
They're too damn pushy. 'What systems do you own.' Dude, shut up.
It's a conversation starter, not only to help you find a game you'll enjoy but also to strike up a conversation. If you're seriously hating on them for something that trivial, then I think there's a deeper issue at play here.

Hell, regardless of the store, I appreciate when employees make the effort to come out on the floor to either help me or to just chat for a bit on *insert item of mutual interest*. Yeah, it might be part of the job but a good employee will make it a more pleasant experience.
Well sounds like they are really missing out when they are denied a conversation with you...

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
My experiences (in the NYC area) have been so poor, I don't even shop there anymore: except at the Rockefeller Center where they seem okay.

Most of them seem really stupid...for retail clerks. I mean, I've never bought french fries at McDonalds and had the clerk hand me an empty carton. Something like that happened to meat gamestop (with a game case instead of a fries carton).
At the same store my wife's friend was actually laughed at when she asked if she could buy a wii fit. Sure, it was rare at the time but she's not a gamer and would have no way of knowing that.
It's the closest game store to my house (3 blocks away) but I never shop there anymore and I don't think anyone else does either. They Always have a banner for one sale or another out front leading me to believe they're overstocked.

In other words, they seem to be obnoxious douche-bags.

DVS Storm

Jul 13, 2009
The employees in the nearest Gamestop are really nice. They seem to know what they are doing and they are really helpful.

ddrfr33k

Nov 11, 2010
GonzoGamer said:
Most of them seem really stupid...for retail clerks. I mean, I've never bought french fries at McDonalds and had the clerk hand me an empty carton. Something like that happened to meat gamestop (with a game case instead of a fries carton).
I've done that on more occasions than I care to admit. When the store is really busy, it's really easy to forget to put a game in a case. If you bring in your receipt while I'm still there, I'll gladly give you the game you rightfully deserve. My coworkers will also gladly oblige. We're all human, after all...

GonzoGamer said:
At the same store my wife's friend was actually laughed at when she asked if she could buy a wii fit. Sure, it was rare at the time but she's not a gamer and would have no way of knowing that.
Okay, I'll agree that that's a blatant violation of Wheaton's Law. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheaton%27s_Law#Wheaton.27s_Law] Send feedback with that online survey on your receipt. The District Managers sit down and read through every comment that gets submitted with the surveys. Those clowns will learn quick or get the boot in the arse.

GonzoGamer said:
It's the closest game store to my house (3 blocks away) but I never shop there anymore and I don't think anyone else does either. They Always have a banner for one sale or another out front leading me to believe they're overstocked.
There's always sales at GS, no matter what time of year it is. That's nothing new at all.

Dragonclaw

Dec 24, 2007
As a former Gamestop store manager I'd say most of the statements here are spot on...My crew knew that there was pressure to get numbers and that it wasn't coming from ME...I went to bat for everyone, especially if I saw consistant effort...you can't FORCE people to buy into pre-orders and magazine subscriptions. But effort didn't matter, only results counted with my DM and we heard so LOUDLY (Not to say we understood and agreed...just that he was a really LOUD guy!). There are secret shoppers who watch for staff and grades them down if they leave customers alone, seriously. "What system do you have" and "What can I help you find today" are almost required 'conversation starters'. As for the hiring cute girls...yep...we were certainly 'encouraged to make sure our staff was diverse' wink, wink / nudge, nudge...and if you're going to hire a couple girls, hiring 'cute' ones do help sales. It sounds bad, and it IS bad, but some of the gamers who are a bit shy as well as the stoner crowd (and we had PLENTY of that) were pretty much wrapped around the little finger of "the cute girl" whenever they came in. It really looked like the scene with 'Raisins' from South Park. Come into my store stoned and you might walk out with several pre-orders for games you don't want, insurance for your new games, and another subscription to Game Informer....just like when you came in last week if the girls had their way...

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
The ones at my local GS are friendly.
One of them even got me Homefront for free (back when a used copy was $40(US))
Thanks to a coupon though, I didn't steal it or anything. I'm not a pirate.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Generally I don't talk with them much. They all try to sell me stuff but really that's their part of their job so I don't blame them. I don't ask them on advise for games but from what I overhear they know some stuff but everything but not a lot about anything in particular. The quality varies from place to place obviously but the ones I have meet have ranged from bland from above average.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Contrary to the popular saying, a few bad apples don't always spoil the bunch. I'm sure people have had their bad experiences with GameStop employees, but the guys at the one I work at have always been cool.

So yeah, no complaints from me.