Poll: GameStop Gives You Too Little For Trade-Ins?

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
GameStop has always infuriated me when I bring in any game for a trade-in. Sure, I could use Ebay or Amazon, but I like the convenience of walking in with a game, and walking out with a new one.

Maybe I should fix that and stop bitching.

Anyways...does anyone share my opinion?

LFC Scouser

The Fifteenth Arcana
Jun 7, 2010
They said they would give me a sandwich!

Don't use jokes on polls they usually win

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
It's there store they can do what you want. People keep going for that exact reason, they are to lazy/don't know how to do it online

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
yeah they do but considering that its a business its expected, I mean games only retain high value for a short period of time usually so if they give too much then they lose it all once the game goes down in price and also gamestop might end up having to have the game shipped to another store and that costs money also, really its not their fault they dont give much for games, its really how the industry works

Pat728

Feb 21, 2010
They're not going to up their trade in values. Their massive success is based on giving you barely anything money for a game they will then sell for $55. Just stop going to Gamestop.

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
I remember one time I bought a $60 brand-spanking-new game, hated it, traded it in a day later, and only received $20 for it.

I was a tad irate to say the least.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
xXAsherahXx said:
I remember one time I bought a $60 brand-spanking-new game, hated it, traded it in a day later, and only received $20 for it.

I was a tad irate to say the least.
That's a good incentive to buy it used, though...

If you buy a game used from Gamestop, you have a week to return it for a full refund if you absolutely hate the game.

The reason they don't do that with new games is...well...if you trade a new game in, then it becomes 'Used' and they can't re-shelf it as new.

Not really an excuse, just a minor explanation.

ShakesZX

Nov 28, 2009
Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa.....

whoa....

You mean to tell me that a company can't offer to buy products it's selling at the same price it's selling them for and still make a profit? That's...

That's just....

That's just exactly how i pictured a for-profit business would work.

ShakesZX

Nov 28, 2009
GreatTeacherCAW said:
ShakesZX said:

whoa....

You mean to tell me that a company can't offer to buy products it's selling at the same price it's selling them for and still make a profit? That's...

That's just....

This. I highly doubt a business would stay afloat for long if they gave you 75% of what you paid for it in trade.
And if you're selling your used games back, you should be thankful that you're getting anything back at all. How many companies will let you return their projects for anything? You won't get that with, say , Home Depot or groceries.

"Hi, I'd like to return this Hammer I bought last month."
"Sir, you do realize that you've used this. I can see pockmarks and scratches all over the head and handle."
"Well, yeah. But this one's old and now I want a new one..."

Yeah, I can see that going over extremely well...

Safaia

Sep 24, 2010
GreatTeacherCAW said:
ShakesZX said:

whoa....

That's just....

This. I highly doubt a business would stay afloat for long if they gave you 75% of what you paid for it in trade.
There's a difference between 'profit' and 'ripping people off.' And their used games are pure profit for them while the publisher, developer, the people who made the game, get nothing for it. Like an above poster said they bought a $60 game and went to trade a day later and it went down to $20. GameStop will bump that up to $55 and sell it used. How is that not ripping someone off?

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
It's precisely why I don't trade in my games, nor do I understand why people do it. Ok yeah, get some extra cash for a new game by giving away an old game you wont play anymore. But here's the thing, why not buy games you actually like and actually keep? I would say it saves you more money. I only buy games I can see myself wanting to play some other time and keep as part of a collection.

That and I'm mostly a PC gamer, so trade ins don't really work.

deathstrikesquirrel

Apr 15, 2009
-goes to telegraph machine- this just in -stop- gamestop is cheap with trade-ins -stop- sells them back to you for massive profit -stop-.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
deathstrikesquirrel said:
-goes to telegraph machine- this just in -stop- gamestop is cheap with trade-ins -stop- sells them back to you for massive profit -stop-.
Is this supposed to be a joke about it being 'old news'?

If so...I'm sorry for being slow. If not...WHAT ARE YOU SAYING, MAN?

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
believer258 said:
It's a business. Got a problem with it? Don't fucking go to Gamestop!

And if you must sell your games, do it on Ebay or Amazon and take care of them so that they will be bought at a higher price.

Take care of games + Slightly more work + Sell at higher price = More new shit for you.
Took the words right out of my mouth. No joke, that first sentence was almost exactly what I was going to say.

Seriously, how do you expect them to make any money at all buying your games for as much as they are selling them for?

Safaia said:
There's a difference between 'profit' and 'ripping people off.' And their used games are pure profit for them while the publisher, developer, the people who made the game, get nothing for it. Like an above poster said they bought a $60 game and went to trade a day later and it went down to $20. GameStop will bump that up to $55 and sell it used. How is that not ripping someone off?
No one said it wasn't. In fact, ripping someone off is exactly what it is. When you sell... say, an iPod to a pawn shop or something, he's going to do the exact same thing. Apple doesn't see a bit of that money either. It's how a third party business is run, my friend. GameStop is the middleman. Don't like it? Too bad. Buy from somewhere else. That's capitalism and not giving GameStop your business is really all you can do about it. I, however, enjoy buying used games from people who GameStop ripped off because they sell it to me for cheaper than if I bought it used. See?

Shadu

Nov 10, 2010
Well, personally, it doesn't bother me because guess how often I get rid of my old games. That's right. Almost never.

If I'm unsure about a game, I find someone with it or buy it used. I'm not above buying it used. I hardly ever buy a game unless I'm sure I'll like it. And I'm one that collects. I like to just keep them forever.

On the rare occassion I do trade in a game, I do tend to go to GameStop simply for convience sake. So what if I MIGHT be able to sell it on Ebay for a better price? After all the hassle of posting it and paying Ebay (or the lister), and shipping, I highly doubt I would come out ahead really. And if it knocks a few bucks off of what I'm paying, then that's good enough for me.

deathstrikesquirrel

Apr 15, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
deathstrikesquirrel said:
Is this supposed to be a joke about it being 'old news'?

If so...I'm sorry for being slow. If not...WHAT ARE YOU SAYING, MAN?
I am lamenting the loss of the telegraph system to the newer forms of communications, alas telegraphs I barely knew yee.
but it could also be old news.