Poll: Gay Main Character

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
I had to bust a gut over the character in Enchanted Arms who was gay. It never became relevant to the plot, but he was well-placed comic relieve in that JRPG.

theklng

May 1, 2008
Josdeb said:
when i'm an argument, i always try to make my points concise and without too much useless text. why? because i want the other person(s) to read and understand the argument i'm giving. i see, however, that you're from a different school.

i'm honestly not going to bother reading your wall of text. i read something about you feeling insulted by comment about racism, and ill rebuke that: if you think it's insulting, then don't ask the question. race is ultimately something we shouldn't care about (if we are to believe the statement that all people are equal(although i don't agree with the statement, but that's a different discussion)) - how would you make people care less about race by using emphasis on the race of a character? you don't see any games out there with white protagonists screaming out that they're white, because there would be an outcry against the game from the general public of people playing games. how can you think it wouldn't be gimmicky to announce and emphasize that the character is of any race in a game?

Josdeb

May 22, 2008
theklng said:
Josdeb said:
when i'm an argument, i always try to make my points concise and without too much useless text. why? because i want the other person(s) to read and understand the argument i'm giving. i see, however, that you're from a different school.

i'm honestly not going to bother reading your wall of text. i read something about you feeling insulted by comment about racism, and ill rebuke that: if you think it's insulting, then don't ask the question. race is ultimately something we shouldn't care about (if we are to believe the statement that all people are equal(although i don't agree with the statement, but that's a different discussion)) - how would you make people care less about race by using emphasis on the race of a character? you don't see any games out there with white protagonists screaming out that they're white, because there would be an outcry against the game from the general public of people playing games. how can you think it wouldn't be gimmicky to announce and emphasize that the character is of any race in a game?
*Facepalm*
Seriously? TL:DR? Wow.

I take the time to reply to your points in a valid and systematic manner and you don't even bother to read it? I so didn't see that coming.

If you had bothered to care enough about your point of view and actually read what I'd written you'd have seen I already explained myself in regards to my "black main character" point and why I wasn't being rascist, and how I wasn't emphasizing the "blackness" of the character in any way.

In all seriousness, if my previous post is too daunting, break it into paragraphs and treat each as a seperate post. That way it won't feel as long (I'm not trying to be condescending or sarcastic, so don't misread this as such).

The only reason the post is long is because I felt strongly enough to clearly define my position in this argument (Something I make clear you have not done. You would know this, had you read the post). I apologise for the length of the post, but really, I'd rather make my point very clear in one definitive post, rather than attempt to clarify myself over weeks of terribly structured, paragraph-long postings. In my school of teaching, that's how we do things: well.

theklng

May 1, 2008
Josdeb said:
The only reason the post is long is because I felt strongly enough to clearly define my position in this argument (Something I make clear you have not done. You would know this, had you read the post). I apologise for the length of the post, but really, I'd rather make my point very clear in one definitive post, rather than attempt to clarify myself over weeks of terribly structured, paragraph-long postings. In my school of teaching, that's how we do things: well.
obviously you haven't studied rhetorics then.

i have tried to make my position as clear as possible: don't ask for gimmicky things in games. that's not why we have them; that's not why people play them or developers develop them. games are about the gameplay, which means anything else is in excess (no reference to the 80s band here). while the story, graphics, love interest ultimately add to the experience, these are subjective values that for most people will be very different, as will each of their experiences with the game. you cannot change these values without either offending or lessening the experience for particular groups of players, which is in nobody's interest (especially not developers, or publishers).