Poll: Gears IP sold to microsoft... PC release?

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Even as a mainly PC gamer, I wouldn't buy them. I just kind of think the series has come and gone at this point :)

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Why would they do that? It'd lose Microsoft Xbox sales. Which are the entire point of exclusive games. Something a lot of people don't seem to understand.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
No.

Microsoft isn't even going to bother keeping the PC port of Gear 1 usable once GFWL dies, Microsoft is not in the business of publishing PC games anymore it seems.

Xbone game? Certainly. Downloadable Xbone versions of the old GoW games? Probably. PC releases? Yeah sure, they'll be out in a bundle with Halo 3, Reach and ODST.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
Ed130 said:
No.

Microsoft's tends to treat PC gaming as something to be avoided and between the failure of Halo 2's port (mainly due to MS's meddling) combined with GFWL dying and the resulting celebrations there isn't much chance of Gears going multiplatform.
didn't halo 2 also require vista? which is a horrible piece of shit that needs to be killed with fire.

OT: i would like gears on PC, gears one had cool modding and overall i found the games very enjoyable. but it's not gonna happen, MS are the kinda guys who won't give you a piece of cake if they think they can sell you a bakery.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
teebeeohh said:
Ed130 said:
didn't halo 2 also require vista? which is a horrible piece of shit that needs to be killed with fire.
Technically, it required DirectX 10 which at the time was only available on Vista. I suppose it also worked with Windows 7 and 8 when GFWL was still limping about.

But yeah the decision not to port back DirectX 10 to WinXP was a dick move.

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
If they threw the series on Steam or something, I'd buy them no question. When I first played Gears, I hated it, it was a series that I could not stand playing except for co-op, but then the second came out and I enjoyed it, and by the time the third rolled around, I had bought the premium collector's edition. I still have that statue of Marcus Fenix sitting on my dresser. I don't know what it was, but that series grew on me fast after the first one. I really can't think of a series that went from such dislike and apathy to a personal favourite in a time span that quick. I think my tastes changed during the time and I enjoyed it more as a result. That and not getting instantly killed by people wall bounding with a Gnasher as frequently.

That said though, I didn't bother with Judgement. While it did star my favourite Gear in the series, Baird, I just had a bad gut feeling about it the entire time leading up to its release so I decided to avoid it. Turned out I was right from everything that I heard.

So yeah, I'd love if they released 1-3 on PC in some bundle, especially if it was acquirable on Steam. Chances of that though are slim to none, so oh well, too bad, I'll just keep playing more Payday then.

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
Don't count on it, the XBone has a real shitty library of exclusives right now. They need an exclusive like a new Gears game to sell more systems. Maybe they'll release it for PC a few years after, but the chance is low.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
Are you implying that Microsoft cares about PC gamers? Because that is simply untrue. I wouldn't get your hopes up about it.

Mersadeon

Jun 8, 2010
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no.

I mean, really, do you expect the people that forced Halo 2 to be bound to Vista as a "OS seller" way to late after it was already out to bring old games onto the PC, spending money on a port that would never, ever make its money back?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
It's pretty well established that Microsoft's idea of "catering to PC gamers" amounts to "here, you can use our branding if you shoehorn in XBox 360 controller support." They love to talk about how much they care about PC gaming... And then they show it with @$%&ing Shadowrun. If Microsoft hadn't left an enormous hole where their PC game support was supposed to be, Valve wouldn't be trying to sell the world on the idea of the Steam Box.

So, in short, no, it's not going to happen. Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if it did; the Gears games look pretty sweet. But I would put money against it.

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
Will they release the older games to PC?

Not likely.... Actually, highly unlikely...

Will Microsoft release the NEW Gears game on PC?

... I don't really care...
I never liked the games, and they never appealed to me... Besides, the whole cover mechanic doesn't function fluidly on PC if you have to press a button for it to work...
I point to Far Cry 3's cover system whereas you're required to position yourself behind the cover, but you can peek around/over it if you're facing the right direction... See, that form of cover doesn't really work on consoles because there's not enough finesse with the joysticks... That's the main thing that turned me off shooters on the console in the first place...

That being said, Gears is hardly a game that requires finesse, since all you have to do is aim in the general direction to begin with and if that fails then just wait for them to walk into melee range and chain-saw them apart....

But yeah, in the end, I voted "Who cares?" Not because the game/s is/are old, but because there's no point in releasing Gears 1/2/3 on PC because no-one would really care... Everyone who DID care (undoubtedly) already has a 360

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
Extremely unlikely to the point where I'd risk saying an outright no.

When it comes to PC games, they are a dumb company and with their own brand of DRM closing down permanently, I really don't think it'll even factor into their equations.

I can almost guarantee though that all future incarnations of the Gears franchise will be on the Xbox One exclusively. Shame really, I had great fun with 2 and 3.

blackaddicus

Apr 2, 2011
No chance in hell will Microsoft release any Gears of War games for PC. As several other people have said, Microsoft don't care about PC gamers, with Windows 8 being a perfect example of their intentions to PC gaming.

It also wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if for windows 9 they try to kill PC gaming off completely on their OS's, with some form of trickery in the code, considering that they will want to try and maximize XBone sales.

Qvar

OBJECTION!
Aug 25, 2013
Not even Fallout 4 would convince me to buy a Microsoft game again.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I doubt it, I mean hasn't Microsoft basically ended their relationship with PC gamers?

Though since the IP has been bought does that mean that it's continuing? Because if so I'm delighted. Gears of War 3 was such a fucking mess with a terrible ending and I'd like to see them try to fix it.